Nugget Shooter Forums

15 inch evolution coil.

nugget108

Hello everyone, hope your all having a nice dry superbowl weekend. I have a question. Detecting season is coming up for us up here in the snow covered north, and nows the time to start looking for new goodies. I've been eyeballing the new 15 inch evolution coil. Has anyone bought one? And if you have, have you been doing any good with it? If you want to tell of course. I think it will fit in good up here for where we've been hunting with the speci gold. Any info is appreciated. Thanks everyone. 

Dan

Dan:
  I have been using the 13x17 evo for the past 8 months. It continues to surprise me.

In the past my go to coil was a coiltek 9x14.......until the guts fell apart in the Arizona heat. :( Dont get me going on how they put the innard together..................masking tape....really????

It is a lot more stable on hot ground and is VERY sensitive to small stuff for a big coil. Boot tacks at 8".

Have found some 1/4 grammers at 8 inches also.

Being a bigger coil its harder to pinpoint with as my 9x14 I would use the heel of it to pinpoint. This one seem to have its sweet spot right in the middle of the coil.

Harder to Pinpoint in tight areas.

You might look at the 9x14 evo?

Cant say how it does on species. I don't find many of them.  It is a dang good stable coil though and shoots deep on small stuff.

Evos have a 3 yr guarantee also...if I remember right.

Hope this helps

Tom H.

• Like 2

I was trying to decide between the 12" , 15" or the 17x13 Evo....I tested the 12" Evo and liked it a lot....but then I started thinking " what about the deep nuggets?" so after thinking about it for a while I choose the 17x13 Evo....first impression very good just  a recommendation buy extra roll of tape for coil cover...mine flew right off after 2 weeks of use. Ok back to coils, I like the 17x13..but after 2 months of use I do find it a bit heavy and awkward on the terrain I hunt in which is pretty rough. It's sensitive to hot mineralized clayish pockets...and you will find yourself digging false targets a lot more than with a standard coil or dd coil. When I tested the 12" Evo for about a week, my nugget count went up especially on the very small stuff and I nice multi grammer at depth. Thinking back now, I do believe for 90% of the hunting and considering most nuggets are within the 12" range I should have bought the 12" evo...much lighter , and very effective for all around detecting. The truth is their are more smaller bits of gold than large lunkers....and the 12" quit frankly does go pretty darn deep!! 

Hey Relic thanks for the reply. My detecting buddy bought the 12 inch evo and he finally found his first detector nugget with it this past summer. It is a sweet coil. Right now my main coil is the 12 inch round advantage. What an amazing little coil. I also use a 17x11 advantage. I tested the 12 inch evo against my 12 inch advantage and there is a pretty big difference between the two on small gold and speci gold. That's what made me want one. But torn between the 12 and the 15.

Dan

I have both the 12" and the 14x9". Both are great coils. The 12" is surprisingly deep for a small coil. I found two beautiful species last week with the 14x9. Both weighed a gram each and were 10" and 12" deep. The one at 12" was right next to/underneath a cantaloupe sized iron stone! The signal just sounded different than the usual iron stone target. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Evo coils. I've seen the 15" in action and was very impressed at its sensitivity to small gold. One thing I've learned with the Evo's is not to run the gain up too high. They are very sensitive so keeping the gain at or near factory preset seems to work best to minimize unwanted ground responses. Good luck!

Dean

• Like 2