Nugget Shooter Forums

Cold gold

Sonoran Dave

Headed into the hills this morning with the Toms and my buddy James. We went back to an area thats been pounded to death in hopes the recent rainfall redistributed some fresh gold. I got skunked...but James did not. He found a tiny wash that hadn't been hit and scored 6 in a row. He came back to the Jeep smilin' like an idiot. Wtg man:head:

Total weight 5.7 grams. 

The one nugget looks like either a squirt of toothpaste ...or a turd. :D

Windy and frigid today in the desert. Even saw a frozen waterfall!?! 

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0219.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

• Like 7

Those are some nice finds !!  :thumbsupanim

WTG James.

Glad you guys made it back without any issues.....    :4chsmu1:

Luke

• Like 1

Was a great day out in the hills! Fun with friends and the good Lord blessed James with some gold.

Yah, he was grinning ear to ear when he finally made it back :)

Thought he was messing with me again until I looked in his bottle and CRAP! :yesss:
Bit nippy up there though!

Im going with fossilized mini dino turd :)
Tom H.

Edited by TomH
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, IDdesertman said:

Pretty gold with some nice character! :thumbsupanim

Nice character?  

Stinky character, unpleasant to the sight, just awful ... awfully good!

Mitchel

"CURIOUS", ...6-nice nuggets having a total combined weight of 5.7 grams (in a few hours ??),....that area Doesn't sound (to me) to be "pounded to death", considering the size of the nuggets: (3-being larger than pickers, and the 2-largest ones being very easy targets).   Based on what was found, I'd say that "all-those reoccurring-patch-pounders" in the past hadn't been very thorough; hadn't extended their searches far enough; and had only concentrated their prior-search's to the specific area (spot) where most of the prior nuggets had been found.  I've done that.....(in the past).  It can be hard to drag yourself away from a reliable nugget producing area, even after you pound it over, and over, and over again, after which you label it "pounded to death". 

I discovered a wash about 10-years ago with a nice nugget patch, which, I came back to many times, until I cleaned it out.  And (at that time) I had the bad habit of returning to it over and over, then going home empty-handed and frustrated each time.  I almost give up on the wash to seek out other opportunities elsewhere, but my innate curiosity and tenacity readjusted my thinking and reasoning.   So I slowly (and over time (over the years)) I started (more-thoroughly) working my way upstream hitting all the smaller tributaries and feeder washes that fed that main-wash as well.  I think that I have found at least 10-12 small nugget patches, as well as individual nuggets scattered along the length of that one wash and its contributing tributaries thus far.  The wash is not as "virginal" as it once was, but I still continue to find nuggets there, and am still slowly working my way upstream to see what may lay up around the next bend.  SO, IF YOU GUYS SHOULD DECIDE TO WRITE THIS SPOT OFF, I'D BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO DETECT WITH YOU, AND "MAYBE" SEE WHAT YOU (MAY) HAVE MISSED.  Gary     

2 hours ago, GDM/PV said:

"CURIOUS", ...6-nice nuggets having a total combined weight of 5.7 grams (in a few hours ??),....that area Doesn't sound (to me) to be "pounded to death", considering the size of the nuggets: (3-being larger than pickers, and the 2-largest ones being very easy targets).   Based on what was found, I'd say that "all-those reoccurring-patch-pounders" in the past hadn't been very thorough; hadn't extended their searches far enough; and had only concentrated their prior-search's to the specific area (spot) where most of the prior nuggets had been found.  I've done that.....(in the past).  It can be hard to drag yourself away from a reliable nugget producing area, even after you pound it over, and over, and over again, after which you label it "pounded to death". 

I discovered a wash about 10-years ago with a nice nugget patch, which, I came back to many times, until I cleaned it out.  And (at that time) I had the bad habit of returning to it over and over, then going home empty-handed and frustrated each time.  I almost give up on the wash to seek out other opportunities elsewhere, but my innate curiosity and tenacity readjusted my thinking and reasoning.   So I slowly (and over time (over the years)) I started (more-thoroughly) working my way upstream hitting all the smaller tributaries and feeder washes that fed that main-wash as well.  I think that I have found at least 10-12 small nugget patches, as well as individual nuggets scattered along the length of that one wash and its contributing tributaries thus far.  The wash is not as "virginal" as it once was, but I still continue to find nuggets there, and am still slowly working my way upstream to see what may lay up around the next bend.  SO, IF YOU GUYS SHOULD DECIDE TO WRITE THIS SPOT OFF, I'D BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO DETECT WITH YOU, AND "MAYBE" SEE WHAT YOU (MAY) HAVE MISSED.  Gary     

Gary:
 This wash is pretty much the same way. Its been hit with mining operation, dry washers and detectors over the years. Ive gotten a lot of nice gold out of it and it is a gold bearing area. We go back at least once a year and re hit areas. Sometimes we get some and others we dont.
  The monsoons tend to move dirt around down here and what was 3 feet deep is now bedrock and visa versa.

I may have been up this trib in the past but dont remember. If I did...I suck :) Might want to take up basket weaving!

I got one a few weeks ago in a very well hit area, up at LSD, but it was up on a hill in a VERY small drainage. You can only cover so much ground with a coil and we are bound to miss some. We will probably write it off in 10 or 15 yrs....until then, its our secret little spot :)

Tom H.

Edited by TomH
cant spell!
  • Like 1

I know what you mean Tom,

the wash that I mentioned has had some activity in the past, but only surface-scratching, which tells me it is from those not-knowing what they are doing.  And I'm kind of surprised that the Old Timers back in the late 1800's , as well as other's in the 1930's and later overlooked this wash in such prime gold country (Lynx Creek area).  All of the gold in this wash is deep on bedrock, none on or near the surface. 

I also know of a wash down around the Bumble Bee area that is like yours.  The gold there is only washed up after a good monsoon drenching.  I have never found gold deep on bedrock there, only what is washed down after a flooding.  These gold bearing areas are all different, and have different charactoristics that make them special; but once you are able to read-a-wash or an area and determine those differences a world opens up.  Good luck down there.  Gary 

• Like 1

Very nice guys!! The weather has moved plenty of earth up by my place's, I finally got out yesterday to explore a new area only to be turned away twice by washed out impassable roads. Had to settle for a spot and got the skunk. I'm glad you guys didn't!!!!!

• Like 1