Nugget Shooter Forums

So You Ever have a Bad Computer Day Like THIS ?

homefire

The other day my Toshiba Lap top decided to mess with me some.  Nap time I closed a good working computer and did the thing.  Came back a hour later and fired it up from Hibernation Mode.  Fired up as usual and then said Up Dates Complete.  Emmmmm Didn't tell me it was going to do any Up Dates.  On restart all my  screen colors have changed.  Trying to get to Control panel I find my touch pad refuses to move the courser.  Crap.  I spend a half our trying to work around that until I Plug in a USB mouse that worked.  Got the screen back to normal.  Couldn't figure out the touch pad issues.  Everything was set right and Toshiba Computer said it was working fine.  Reload Touch Pad Drivers. Realized the Touch Pad was working until Windows Booted.  Bad Update I say.  Role computer back in the WAY BACK machine to a week prior.  Worked.  Worked until I restarted the Computer again then everything went the way it was.  Deeply Up Set Do a REFRESH loosing all my cool programs but curing the problems.  Three hours later I have most everything back to what I wanted.  All my pass words reestablished, AVG installed, A few resident programs deleted. Still missing my O scope programs and toys.  Cool !  On the Road again.   Phone rings !  I reach for the phone on the back of the couch.  I fumble the phone and it crashes into my LCD screen Cracking it Most Well.  Now I go Ballistic Yelling some words even I forgot I knew .   Replace the LCD on this one before with a screen from a Dell.  Emmmm I have a older HP in the pile of Parts.  Dissect the HP and Low and Behold !!!!!!!  Different Numbers, Different Maker but the LCD  looked Identical.  Swapped out the LCD's and the poor old Toshiba lives yet again.  This is the third LCD in this machine and second key board.  Wish I knew this stuff three computers ago.  

Toshiba got caught cooking the books and have shut down any production of Consumer Lap tops.  Wonder how long I can keep the beast alive ?  It's a shame.  I really like the thing.  I've gone through a Dell, Acer, HP , Compaq and two Toshiba's now.  It turns out I could had fixed the other two Toshiba's if I tried.

Just thought you all could get a Chuckle out of My Struggles.  

Marching OnWard !

Homefire.

Just out of curiosity were you able to figure out what the update was..? I'm assuming you have the machine set for updates to either notify or download and notify but not install until you say so (or not,) so I for one would like to know what got pushed through and installed without your go ahead.. Tnx..

Swamp

I have it set for Auto Update but I have to approve a Restart.  Some how that got by passed with the computer going in and out of Hibernate I guess.  Not the first of Micro Soft Updates that gave me Issues. 

Homefire

I hate when that happens!!!:2mo5pow:

I've had my share of automatic updates that caused issues, so now for numerous years I always have mine set to download updates but I have to approve any that gets installed and  then I only approve critical updates, I also have to approve restarts, that way I know exactly which update/s causes an issue when I have one!

As a Company MS pretty much sucks compared to what they use to be .  They seem to have lost any Give a Chit.  Apple have always been butt nuggets about there OS and third party things could never get off the ground.   Ubuntu is just to complex to get it to work with most other programs.  Someone Some Day is going to come up with a better mouse trap.  Every sense MS became the DE FACTO thing of the day we have been stuck.

Edited by homefire

10/fer onna what both of youse said..

I'll cut right to the chase: Check out a site called Ask Woody.. I believe it's askwoody dot com but won't swear to it typing blind, ergo not a link..

He's all over M'soft n their crapola.. We've found him to be spot on.. As long as you're part of Group B (you'll understand when you see) and aren't in any rush to immediately install any & everything M'soft sends down the pike Woody'll save you a ton of grief..

Swamp

On 1/27/2017 at 6:09 PM, Au Seeker said:

...ixnay...

On 1/28/2017 at 2:11 PM, homefire said:

...ixnay airedsquay..

See above.. Couldn't add quotes to it once submitted and can't seem to cancel these once started..

Swamp

• 2 weeks later...

I lost so much info and screwed up puter with ms updates I went to linux ubuntu.  I purchased a new puter had windows on it made a purchase 

and my credit card was froze.  So I called to see what was up, they froze the card because some arab tried to use it for a $1600.00 purchase in 

in saudi arabia!  sure safe to use ms for purchasing something on the internet not!  With MS you need a reg cleaner and plenty of security

norton and mcafee make your puter very slow and take up a lot of space

Bill