Nugget Shooter Forums

Back in the game!

Ray in CA

Hey folks, it's been quite some years since I've been able to detect for gold nuggets but I finally have a new gold detector arriving tomorrow. Early last year I was going to purchase the Nokta Fors Gold+ but I put that off and instead opted for the new Nokta AU Gold Finder. Hopefully with all this rain and snow and runoff our creeks have had up here in Plumas county I'm hoping it'll bring out some new gold this Spring. The Nokta fit my budget and except for a short stint with a Minelab 2100 some years ago I've always been pretty much a VLF kind of guy. In addition to this, it came with a free 2 year GPAA membership and apparently there's at least one claim that's only 10 miles from my house with easy access. I also belong to UPI so I have other claims in the area I could hit as well. Hopefully I'll be able to report some good things about the Gold Finder as I haven't found anyone yet (other than the reviews I've read) that is using it on a regular basis for nugget shooting. 

• Like 6

Good luck out there.  You won't notice the changes since you haven't been out but it will all look new!

You have lots of choices around Quincy and quite a few good guys with detectors there also.

I get to Sierra City about once a year.

Mitchel

Ray:
 Welcome back to the hunt :)
Good luck out there and hope we see some yellow posts soon.
Tom H.

Thanks folks...just took the Nokta for a test run in our yard...lots of small quartz around here but I think the gold is on the other side of the mountain. Anyway, I wanted to test the ferrous/non-ferrous leds and got two signals about 8 inches apart. Set the detector to disc 1 but with disc filter to 0. One target was ferrous (probably a nail) and the other non-ferrous. I dug the non-ferrous hoping for the mother lode but found a clad penny instead about 3 inches deep, lol. At least it's accurate: :-) I can't wait to give it a real test run in the gold fields!

• Like 1

Tried visiting a couple claims yesterday and today...still too much snow and creek water is too high to do much of anything. Not only that but I'm suffering from an insidious cold. But my philosophy is, if I can go to work when I'm sick then by golly I can go play in the dirt when I'm sick. lol

Did find a clad quarter wedged in some bedrock, though, and what appears to be a small aluminum nugget forged probably by someone's campfire. I sure like the Gold Finder's ferrous/non-ferrous led feature, although one doesn't want to rely on this too much. And manual ground balancing is a snap, as should be expected. Can't really say much else until I'm able to actually put some hours on the ground.

Edited by Ray in CA
  • Like 1