Nugget Shooter Forums

Breaking stuff in the hills

TomH

Went out yesterday with Dave and after about 18 miles with 3 to go, I hear a dull thud and the steering gets loose on me. Look under the front and my idler arm is snapped and hanging there mocking me!

Get the bailing wire and rope out. Lace it up and limp home. Was a little wobbly a couple of times but we got out and home.

The one that snapped looked flawed were it broke. I dont know if its a shear point? Or a defect. Two straight lines and then you can see where it snapped.

Im getting and extra one and putting it in my break down box. This is the second one ive broken. The first one I admit I was hopping the front end pretty hard going up a hill. But, this one was not taking any punishment when it broke.

Tom

SAM_1434.JPG

SAM_1436.JPG

Wow! Thats a clean shear, possibly a manufacturing flaw, does it say made in Mexico? Isnt that the one you dug out of your garage a couple years ago and was used? Must be those new BFG's gettin good traction! Stinks your day of prospecting got ruined. Glad you made it home though!

36 minutes ago, H-2 Charlie said:

Must be a toyota , chevy and fords are real tough

:cry2:Gimme a break....its 30 yrs old. Ive not seen any 30 yr old Fords or Chevy's out in my spots :)

Tom H.

• Like 11

Looks like a defect in material to me I would  1 have a machinist look at it and see if he can rebuild stronger. I know one that could he built a lot of stuff for his rock crawler but he lives in Utah. But were it me I would find the cure for this problem one way or the other  ! One more break like that could send you where you're not ready to go yet !

Edited by devilishjim
  • Like 1

Same thing happened to me with my Pathfinder on my first visit to LSD about 18 years ago ...Mid-day in middle of July about 112 degrees ... Dodacious & I hiked to the windmill and salvaged some bailing wire ... While hiking both directions I felt like I was having shoulder cramps...a lot of them ... Ultimately couldn't get it fixed due to the hot ground and the shoulder cramps... Luckily Harold came by and gave us a ride to the old hotel bar in Morristown ... We called a tow truck and got back to Wickenburg ... 7 months later I had emergency open heart surgery-- 4X bypass ... The shoulder cramps were multiple heart attacks! ... I lucked out on that one! ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

That's shadetree mechanicing at it's best, I love it :thumbsupanim, but my guess is that you didn't have a shadetree anywhere close!!

Tom is that an OEM part or aftermarket??

Aftermarket...probably chinese crap

Tom

Tom nice photo. It almost looks like it was sawed on both sides? was it rubbing on something? AzNuggetBob

3 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

Same thing happened to me with my Pathfinder on my first visit to LSD about 18 years ago ...Mid-day in middle of July about 112 degrees ... Dodacious & I hiked to the windmill and salvaged some bailing wire ... While hiking both directions I felt like I was having shoulder cramps...a lot of them ... Ultimately couldn't get it fixed due to the hot ground and the shoulder cramps... Luckily Harold came by and gave us a ride to the old hotel bar in Morristown ... We called a tow truck and got back to Wickenburg ... 7 months later I had emergency open heart surgery-- 4X bypass ... The shoulder cramps were multiple heart attacks! ... I lucked out on that one! ... Cheers, Unc

Geez Ron, ya cut it real close on that one. Hope you're healing up well since your back surgery. Much AU to ya.

Bob:

No rubbing. Im thinking this is almost a intentional design flaw the more I look at it. Have some friends that have told me that they wanted to get some parts made but the people that were going to make them wanted to make them cheaper so they would break and sell more down the road. Dont know if this is in the same boat or not.

Tom H.

11 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Wow! Thats a clean shear, possibly a manufacturing flaw, does it say made in Mexico? Isnt that the one you dug out of your garage a couple years ago and was used? Must be those new BFG's gettin good traction! Stinks your day of prospecting got ruined. Glad you made it home though!

Shay............your scaring me....you have a mind like a steel trap! Yes, that is one I dug out of the shed a year or so back.

Ok If you say this is the wash......I will follow :) Think I still owe you a buck?

Tom H.

Tom I think I know what your saying. remember last time you stopped by and I was complaining about my old Floord. I agree about the Mexico parts. I got an after market fuel pump from the local economy parts store. you know, the one that wants your
first, last, email address and phone # before they will sell you a part. anyway I drag the new/old pump in there for a replacement and they say ok lets look it up. oh-well sorry it had a one year warranty and expired three days ago. Im thinking No way.
Would you like to buy another one? Did you know you can buy an extended warranty on our parts? This girl was testing my patients. after pulling a failed part that was the cleanest part on the motor. It was the only time I can remember replacing a part on that truck that I didnt have to get greasy.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, TomH said:

Shay............your scaring me....you have a mind like a steel trap! Yes, that is one I dug out of the shed a year or so back.

Ok If you say this is the wash......I will follow :) Think I still owe you a buck?

Tom H.

:25r30wi:

We gotta get out again Tom.

• Like 1

Tom... Tom... Tom....  nugget hunting is NOT like Dukes of Hazard.  If it were, more people would be doing it :)

All joking aside, glad you made it back safely.  Nice job playing MacGyver.

• Like 1

Okee......I talked with my neighbor who is a machinist/welder for CAT. He has been schooled in figuring out why stuff breaks and such. He called it micro cracking.

What happens is breaking slowly comes in and then all of a sudden when the part lets go you see a big break. He said this has been going on for a while and finally let loose. Who ever manufactured the part had to turn the shaft down to fit the arm. Well, they just left a sharp shoulder instead of radiusing it. Hence the fatigue.
Hes going to fix me up with some axle shaft material that I can turn a new shaft down with and rebuild it.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first super strong Idler arm. My Idler arm will be that arm!. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.    Just hope it doesn't  make that funny noise at 60 MPH and actually slow down.  :thumbsupanim

Tom H.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, boulder dash said:

See what happens Tom, slow it down.  Glad you make it out safe my friend. 

Wait a minute....I remember our first hunt out...pitch black. you were flying up the wash and we were saying where the H@@@ is he taking us????

:)

Tom H.

• Like 1