Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite?

Hi all.   Wondering if this is possibly a meteorite?   Magnets stick to it in certain spots and passes ceramic test.   Very heavy and approx 8 inches.  Photos with cell phone not sure if I can get them much clearer.   Thanks for looking.  

IMG_1041.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

Edited by Meaty
Title mispelled

I have to say NO.   See the Inclusions of white materials ?  That material was formed after the Base Material Fractured and was washed in some Mineral Soup in the ground. 

Looks like a form a Basalt.   https://www.google.com/search?q=Basalt+Photo&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicyubtoq7RAhVBiVQKHVX7ANIQ7AkINg&biw=1252&bih=602

• Like 1

Unlikely,

The white veins look like mineral filled, which is a product of terrestrial rocks and not of meteorites. The rock looks weathered from standard terrestrial processes found in alluvial plains or ancient riverbeds. Magnetic in places is not a good sign. If those are quart-like veins it cannot be a meteorite.

Keep looking down, they are out there.

Billpeters

• Like 1

Thanks for responses.  It attracts magnet overall.  It's just that doesn't actually stick to it in some spots.   I appreciate learning about this so responses were great.  I found this photo of a meteorite online which I thought Resembled veins.  Can u explain how veins in real meteorite pictured here and veins in rock I found differ ?

IMG_1080.JPG

The veins on the Meteorite are only within the Fusion Crust.  The Material got super hot super fast Glassing the surface.  As it cooled it cracked.  Not the same as your Rock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, homefire said:

I'm not any kind of Expert here.   I just know the bits I can see in the photo's.  

Homefire.  There looks to be some miscommunication here.   I am fine with what has been told.  I posted in the site holding an expert would look at it since I know virtually nothing about meteorites. Two people posted acknowledging they are not experts including yourself so what's with the snide comment?   i found this amongst many other rocks and it looked like it resembled meteorites I have seen.  Just trying to learn a bit.   Not a very warm welcome to a new guy on forum.  

No offense and sorry you took offense but would like an opinion of someone who does consider themselves an expert.  If that is not possible on this forum please let me know but no need to get upset because I don't value your view on it as much as I would an expert 

That's cool.  Just sorry you didn't get the answers you wanted.  We told you what we think of the rock and that's all we can do.  If I found it, I would had done a few test on it and ended up chucking in the pile of Wrongs I have here.  Looking at it I just don't see any of the classic Meteorite Traits I would Expect. 

Sorry if I sounded Rude in any way.

Here you go.   http://www.meteorite-identification.com/streak.html

All is good.   Thanks for response. You understand geology etc and have some background obviously to make those decisions wisely.  i went online a. It to study them but I think it would take me a while of seeing different rocks etc and learning how they are formed to really get a feel for subtle differences  etc.   Thanks for you responses.  Not unhappy with them.   Just a bit green-new at this. :)

Meaty,

Welcome to the forum!

Most if not all of our members knowledgeable on meteorites will never say they're experts on meteorites, call it modesty if you will, but I can assure you that they know quite a lot about meteorites, you have had more than one of these members reply to your inquiry already with their opinions of your suspected meteorite, there are still more members that are knowleadgeable on meteorites but haven't seen your post, some of those members don't visit the forum everyday and sometimes not every week or every month for that matter but do still visit from time to time when their daily lifes permits.

Patients is a virtue when hunting meteorites and also when trying to gain more knowledge about meteorites.   

• Like 4

You didn't cause a "stir", far from it, the only way you will learn is to post suspected pieces and ask questions and get opinions, please don't be a strangger here come back often and post away.

You never stated where this specimen was found, it helps in finding them by searching for meteorites where they have been found in the past, that's not saying you can't find a meteorite where they haven't been found before, I would suspect that most people on earth has stepped on or near a meteorite or the remains of one at least once in their life no matter where they live, after all meteorites have been bombarding this planet since the begining of time and these cosmic bits of the universe don't have an agenda of where they are headed when they get pulled in by this planet's gravitational pull. 

• Like 1

That rock was found in CT though I do a lot of traveling with work.   Meteor wrongs here I come!    I can see how this pursuit could get addictive or at the least engaging.   Thanks for replies and encouragement.    I hope you all have much success and interesting finds

Photos are almost never definitive for id.  You will find many more wrongs than rights in most areas, even in known strewn fields and dry-lake beds.  The past posts on this forum are an advanced education in wrongs and rights, read away!

Books are a great asset to learning. Visiting museums with meteorites is great.

handling real meteorites is critical to your education.

keep searching and good luck

fred

• 2 months later...