Nugget Shooter Forums

fisher cz5.. good for gold nuggets??

tomleft

Hi i just moved to El Mirage Arizona and i have an older cz5. I was wondering if this is a good detector for nugget shooting. I used it in Missouri for coins and lost jewelry.. Any ideas would be helpful..Also where does one go to get started in the desert without getting into trouble. I have also joined the GPAA but im confused if i can go to Stanton without belonging to the lost dutchman assoc??? thanks Tom

Tomleft--

Welcome.

You must be LDMA to get in Stanton.  Used to be the GPAA front office could let you get in with a pass to an LDMA campground once for free as kind of a sales pitch.  They may still offer that if you call the front office.

Plenty of claims here with the GPAA for you to be working on.  Central AZ has more GPAA claims you can get to than anywhere else.  I think the closest cluster to you would be the ones up in Wickenburg, the Maricopa Group.  Check the website to see when the Chapter meetings are, and figure out which one of the three local chapters you want to join, and then I recommend attending a meeting.

After you get used to the claim system, its not too hard staking your own.

As far as the machine, I would say probably not, but I'm not the expert.  I have a Minelab Exterra 705, a dual gold coin detector, but I've never found any gold with it.  Seems most of the pics posted on the site are gram or smaller, and that is just to small for my Exterra. 

• Like 1

tomleft

There is always a chance you might find gold with that detector. It is certain you can find the same kind of finds that you did in Missouri. The best bet is to join a local club like the Arizona Road Runners that have monthly outings, learn the ropes over time. Upgrade your detector to a gold metal detector after you acquire the knowledge of where the gold might be.

The best advice is to look for gold where gold has been found which is where the local clubs will put you. The added benifit is that you have access to the GPAA claims. All of it is an investment in an education of prospecting. 

Best of luck may the curve be a short one.

The cz5 may find large nuggets...it will also find every hot and cold rock in the state...it is not a good choice to learn nugget hunting with; sorry.

The xterra will find sub-gram nuggets, or, I have found subgram nuggets with a x-70...the x-705 is a better machine. I used the dd elliptical on my 70...also good on the beach or in parks.

Happy new Year

fred

• Like 1

Get yourself a used White's Goldmaster.... There's a good selection of older machines to get you going, The Goldmaster 2, GM VSAT, Goldmaster 3, GMT ...  The VSAT is a good choice and I've bought them for as little as $125, although that is the result of being at the right place, right time with cash in my pocket... Good luck ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 3