Nugget Shooter Forums

Southern Arizona Meteorite?

Is it magnetic?
Tom H>

All meteorites have value, this being an unclassified rock, probably an ordinary chondrite, might fetch a couple of bucks a gram retail. How much does it weigh?  Looks less than 10g, but no scale is provide.  When the gem show comes around go to any of the meteorite dealer rooms as ask them to take a look, but from the picts I'm pretty sure it's a meteorite.  Hell if you want to sell it I'll buy it from ya!

Edited by Mikestang

• 2 weeks later...

The one in this pictures is about as big as your fingernail to the end of your thumb. Could either of you give me a ball park idea of the value speaking from any you have bought that were similar?

well, depends...if possession is worth more than the money one should keep the object.

The trouble with TV shows is it makes every found object sound like it is worth tons of money. In reality, most finds are common whether they be meteorites, coins or relics and even gold...don't do it if you think the hobby will make you rich.

For me it is the searching and the finding that I value most. I have sold some meteorites and given many more away...generally the memory is all I need to keep.

fred

On 1/21/2017 at 9:16 AM, fishing8046 said:

The one in this pictures is about as big as your fingernail to the end of your thumb. Could either of you give me a ball park idea of the value speaking from any you have bought that were similar?

I'd give ya $5-$10 for it, which is probably on the high side for an unclassified ordinary chondrite, but I like local USA southwest finds.  You are probably better off keeping it. :)

Did you record the location of the find?  Could be more out there...

Edited by Mikestang