Nugget Shooter Forums

Some Antioxidant Info..

Swampstomper Al

Forgot to mention this in the "Hey Uncle Ron" thread, then figured I probably should start a new thread about it anyhow in order to Subject Line the topic..

Over time as we've been talking about antioxidants & super antioxidants I'm sure it's dawned on y'all the same as it has me the cost prohibitiveness of acquiring their sources in either natural or natural supplemental form.. One can easily spend a couple hundred $$s or more every other month acquiring them as individual supplements..

So, a few months ago on a re-supply run I included time to see if I could find some sort of 'multi' constructed from natural forms.. Believe it or not I actually found one..  It doesn't contain "everything", but it does contain enough from various sources to save one a sizeable chunk of change every time one needs to re-stock..

The product is called "Alive!", mfg'd by Nature's Way.. They market it as a Whole Food Energizer.. I assume the Supplement Facts can be found on their web site; never checked personally.. I just know that switching to it from individuals frees up a buncha cash every month while making for a lot fewer pills to swallow as well..

Though supplements aren't an even-stephen swap-out for real deal sources over the long haul, I've been finding this product to be a purt good alternative so far.. A possible added bonus for some: While the recommended daily dosage is three tablets / day, I'm finding one-half of one seems to be plenty.. Even taking only one a day tends to make me feel 'full'.. I can't actually describe the feeling correctly,, Probably AIMH.. But that's ok, seeing as how it turns an one-month's supply into six months worth..

While we're on the subject, for those of you who have access to a Vitamin Shoppe I'm of the belief they are currently mfg'ing the best bang-for-your-buck high potency multivitamin + multimineral on the market.. That product is called "Ultimate Man 50+".. It pretty much contains everything, including a nice proper dose of Co Q-10.. I'll assume the Supplement Facts can be accessed on their web site.. They also mfg an "Ultimate Woman 50+", which I believe is the same formulation as the Man but with additional iron.. As with "Alive!" the recommended dosage is three tablets / day.. I find one / day to be adequate.. Again, one month to six.. During the winter I'll take add'l Vit C throughout the day too..

Sooo, FWIW.. One-and-one-half pills, instead of a double handfull that included almost nothing contained in the "Alive!", at a monthly savings I stopped trying to calculate once I hit $100.. Merely sharing some information about how to not only get otherwise unaffordable supplements most if not all of us need but also how to get more of these 'necessaries' at either a nice savings for those already purchasing or for no more than what one's already spending on lackluster deficient multi's..

Swamp

PS: Here's a link to a really informative write-up re antioxidants.. I know nothing about this guy, didn't watch the vids or am I in any way etc., etc.. I just pulled it off the web a bit ago because it is well written and contains more information than the others I'd checked out..

http://articles.mercola.com/antioxidants.aspx

I take absolutely nothing over the recommended daily intake as instead of help you hurt your organs. Seen it dozens of times running friends to ER-potassium od almost killed 1 tough sob called Mad Dog couple of years back. Surfer Glen about died from glucosamine/condrointin as bad chloresterol over 30 times average. On and on and on. MODERATION and natural sources as these insanely 10-30 times max doses will flat out get ya in the end...jus' sayn' discretion is the better part of valor as even the tamest can bite ya in mega doses-John

Yeah....I agree...if a person can get by on natural sources, that's the way to go, because everything we put in our bodies, gets processed by the liver and kidneys....but even "natural sources" can be harmful in large quantities...heck, there was a woman who died from drinking to much water during a radio sponsored contest... http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/#.WGUt2n2IaM8

47 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Yeah....I agree...if a person can get by on natural sources, that's the way to go, because everything we put in our bodies, gets processed by the liver and kidneys....but even "natural sources" can be harmful in large quantities...heck, there was a woman who died from drinking to much water during a radio sponsored contest... http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/#.WGUt2n2IaM8

My liver will be processing some hooch tonight.

I have a green house---grow it , pick it, eat it. But just because it's natural is not always the best. Uranium, nightshshade and Stavesacre are natural.

5 hours ago, Hoser John said:

I take absolutely nothing over the recommended daily intake as instead of help you hurt your organs... John

3 hours ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Yeah....I agree...if a person can get by on natural sources, that's the way to go, because everything we put in our bodies, gets processed by the liver and kidneys....but even "natural sources" can be harmful in large quantities...

Oh yeah -- I agree with both you gents, with one exception there, Mr. HJ: Thanks to an overabundence of alphabet agencies / dept's and the like all having their fingers in the stew, along with worldwide org's supplying the Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine dietary info from all over the place, the RDI / DV numbers are almost all totally unrealistically low..

Let's use Vit. C as a quick example.. If one never takes more than the RDI of anything, I'm fairly certain one is in deep doo-doo.. The DV for Vitamin C is 90 mg/dy.. I'm pretty sure, here in the States at least, it's nigh unto impossible for a person who consumes a balanced 2K calorie daily diet to ingest < 90 mg of Vit. C on a daily basis..

On the other side of that coin the Upper Limit for Vit C is 2 grams/day, which may or may not be true, but is sure sounds like a whole lot, so that's what they've gone with.. Personally I think it's a lowball, mainly since there's never been a substantiated Vit, C overdose.. Thing is, Vit. C is also an exception to a rule: One's body will absorb only 250 mg/hr; anything more single-dosage-wise is urinated away.. Naturally 'they' don't print this info on the 500 & 1,000 mg bottles.. This is why if one wants to increase one's Vit. C intake during cold & flu season the only way to helpfully do so is by taking 250s during the course of the day rather than a "more potent" single higher count at the start of one's day -- it isn't more potent at all, it's simply a more expensive 250..

Anyhow, this is the main reason I don't like the Daily Value method used with the Supplement Facts info on certain items / products -- for the most part they don't tell the entire story, and in fact can be downright mis-leading at times.. I'll use the Vitamin Shoppe "Ultimate Man 50+" as the example:

You're checking what's in it.. You come to Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCL,) which is pretty standard.. You look at the Amount Per serving and it says 25 mg.. You look at the % Daily Value and it says 1250%.. Hmmm, what does one do now..? The way I see it there are two possible reactions.. The first one is: "1250%..??! O. M. G. !! Wott're they trying to do, kill me..?!! I'm not taking this mega-dose crap..!" Back on the shelf it goes and out the door you go..

Or there's the second scenario, which goes something like: "1250%..? That's wayyy more than the Recommended Daily Intake..! Sure would be nice to know what the Upper Limit is though so I could make a more informed decision.."

As it turns out the Upper Limit is 100 mg.. To me this makes that 25 mg / 1250% low-acceptable while dropping a < 2 mg / 100% DV dose to just above the 'why even bother / thanks a lot' level, especially since we're talking B6 here and not a trace mineral.. Seventy-five percent below its Upper Limit is acceptable to me, nowhere even close to a mega-dose starting point, but I'd never know that looking at the labeling alone.. And without a smart phone I can't even try to look it up, which I shouldn't need to be doing anyhow..

They've had fifty years to get Consumer Labeling correct.. Yet as far as I can tell they're still nowhere near getting it right for the consumer.. One cannot make an informed decision / choice when one doesn't have at the very least all the important information from which to draw a conclusion..

Swamp

5 hours ago, MacGump said:

My liver will be processing some hooch tonight.

Hooch is great when your body can tolerate it....:yesss: unfortunately, after years of abuse, my body doesn't seem to be able to process the copious quantities it requires to get the desired effects, so I limit my abuse to a few times a year....

On 12/28/2016 at 0:37 PM, Swampstomper Al said:

I'm sure it's dawned on y'all the same as it has me the cost prohibitiveness of acquiring their sources in either natural or natural supplemental form..

:brows:Isn't gold the ultimate antioxidant, and finding it sure costs some bucks:89: and oodles of time...

Edited by weaver hillbille

2 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

:brows:Isn't gold the ultimate antioxidant, and finding it sure costs some bucks:89: and oodles of time...

Ummmm -- all I know for sure is they don't put nearly as many 23K gold flakes in Goldschlager schnapps as they used to.. :2mo5pow:

Swamp

Goldslager has indeed lost most of the gold. Great for chelation therapy. EDTA is the king of chelation to eliminate metals from the body. In Costa Mesa back in the day there was a Institute of Chelation Therapy that was doing a brisk business. Went for 2 months and blood tests twice a week to prevent depletion of needed minerals vs the lead,nickel and mercury that went adios. Apple pectin is yet another good homeopathic chelation agent and helps cleanse bud out of your system to pass drug tests as proven by hired helpers. John

• 1 month later...

VIT  "C" I have taken 1000mg every 4 hours for several days.  Your system will spit out any vit ".C" that it don't use

every 3 to 4 hours so rather hard to over dose this one.

I purchase thyroid meds from puritanpride.com as when you purchase 2 bottles you get 3 free ones more product for the buck.

For antioxidants have you checked out blueberries? great on breakfast  cereal like oatmeal and walnuts

Bill

do a google search for antioxidants  all kinds of natural ones

Edited by auspot4
wasn't finished with message