Nugget Shooter Forums

Put me to work!

Sunshine_Miner

I'm looking for an opportunity to learn from vetted miners whatever it takes.. I am 26, total work horse usually running circles around most folks, absolutely see an future in gold in my lifetime and it's my passion.. I want to wake up everyday and mine (I'm crazy, I know). I feel at ease when I'm out there doing my thing as I'm sure other's here know exactly what I'm talking about. I come from poverty so college was never in my future, however I do plan to attend @ Colorado School of Mines when life permits. What do I do for work now? I'm the guy that gets suckered into being a keyholder / management at any basic min wage job, as I was gifted (cursed?) with common sense and a work ethic (again, curse?), so I can be allowed to have my 40 hours a week to pull in a paycheck that is ALL gone into bills meanwhile I'm the glue holding things together at these chumpchange sweatshops that refuse to pay a real wage but can afford to drop $500,000 to renovate their stores..

People's greed just really gets me going, this world is going to hell in a hand basket and I want nothing to do with it. I just want to say the hell with all and go mine till I die :)

The other reason I'm interested in finding a different line of work, as you can see I have I companion animal who is completely bonded to me. We go everywhere together and I wouldn't have it any other way, naturally no one is going to object to a bird shitting on the claim.. he's fertilizing for reclaimation! So I'm looking to work where my feathered friend will find it comfortable, being a small guy I'm not a huge fan of the cold myself but am no stranger to it, lived for 7 years in New England.

If nothing else I like making friends in new places, life is short! 

Merry Christmas!

20160927_123052_image.jpg

Merry Christmas and welcome to the forum SM!

It may help if you post where you're located in case somoeone in that area may need any help, but as far as getting into full scale mining I would suggest applying at a full scale mine, if accepted you would have to start at the bottom and work your way up as with any job in any field unless you're already fully experienced in the field.

So do you have any experience in prospecting for gold?

Prospecting is the first step in mining for gold, you have to learn how to find locations that have gold before you can mine it.

Also there are 2 sources for gold (3 sources if you include jewelry stores or jewelry lost on beaches, etc. :arrowheadsmiley:), lode gold and placer gold, lode gold is still locked up in the original deposits in rock, placer gold is gold that has been eroded out of the lode and has been deposited in various types of placer deposits.

I've been researching everything related to getting gold out of the ground for about 4 years now, after about a year I made some time and took a drive to the closest occurrence and put to practice what I learned. What I learned was I knew jack about the actual act of prospecting, its one thing to read about digging in a creek and a complete nother to dig in decomposed angular cobbles, and in the future I'd be wise to listen to anyone thats done this more than me. It did feel pretty darn good though, even with all the setbacks, to get a picker in my first pan ever.

Almost had a darn heatstroke that first time out, and I had a buddy with me who was one of those "oh yea I'll move some dirt" then they want to just stand there and watch until they see a pile of gold. He came back out with me a few more times (even though he did little, I felt it was wise to have someone with me), and on one occasion what was supposed to be a 2 mile hike turned into an 11 mile scenic tour of the mountains. Our packs were filled with the idea we were only on a short hike so 50lb packs 9 extra miles later we called it for the day, I still enjoyed everything about it.

Killed countless baby water moccasins & a few I'm glad went the other way when they noticed me headin their way. I did all this while in piss poor health, lately my health has been improving and what was CRIPPLING back problems a couple years ago is now of a manageable ache. I need to do this while I still can, theres no guarantee I'll be hitting 70 or even 50.. This is the primary reason I need to secure a free financial future, one day I'm going to wake up in crippling pain and it just wont be getting better and I don't want to get stuck on disability without some kind of cushion... and working for others, I'll be lucky to have a thin sheet let alone a "cushion" to fall back on. I told myself that if my health ever improved I'd do whatever it takes to chase the yellow dragon. I'm stubborn as all hell, so there's that, too.

Heh yea I thought about it while I was typing "theres no gold mining in florida" except for MDing. Ironically I live in sarasota on the treasure coast, it's just not my bag although nugget shooting deserts is a different story..

Edited by Sunshine_Miner
I spell reel gud!

Good luck.  Seems like you've been bit by the gold bug good.

That being said, if you're looking for a life change, I bet you'll be able to find work like you have in Florida if you move out here to AZ.  88% of the land is Public lands, maybe a half or a third of that is open for mining.  I live in the Phoenix Valley with 4 million people, and I can be at my claim digging gold in one hour.  I love mining, but unfortunately to pay my bills, I need to get a job.  Every day in that job I wish I was out metal detecting, or dry washing a creek (which the desire to be out prospecting makes me no different that anyone on this board).  Funner yet is exploring the wide open Public lands,  Something you can't do out East.  I just returned from NC after being away from AZ for 2 years.  Hated NC because the out doorsy things I like to do are just not out East.  Also in AZ, the GPAA or other club has plenty of claims you can go and learn how to mine.

I'd caution you on your expectations.  I don't know anyone that does this small time that it is their only source of income. 

There's more gold being pulled out of Alaska now than in the Klondike Gold rush, but its being one by small scale operations putting about $500k into claims.  I know a guy who spent $10k to pull up about $1k of gold in AK, so there's far more that strike out than make it.  I also think much more is lost in mining operations than is made overall.

I'll bet the way you're talking, you can get a gram a day, tops, consistently.  May be $40 a day, but only if you work hard.  Not the way to save like you're saying to take care of your health.

Also be cautious of any who may contact you.  I will promise you pennies a day of gold, maybe even more if you come to AZ and work on my claim.  If anyone promises you more, do your due diligence.

I went through all sorts of scenarios for 4 years and I could come up with nothing to mine full time like you're thinking.

Oh theres no doubt I got bit by gold fever bad :nutty:, I do feel confident in my ability to research and pin point gold deposition in any area of the world. Do I feel as confident in my ability to pull said gold out of the world? Not so much, and I feel like thats where experience from people who have been there done that would help greatly. Currently I am pay check to pay check and it's always been that way pretty much, and if it wasn't it didn't last long because something ALWAYS comes up. Through my eyes, I see no future in working for another person.. had I not screwed my credit very young (and not having the income to fix it) I'd likely be well on my way to retired early and the owner of multiple food franchises / gas stations. Did I mention I'm stubborn as a... rock HA!

Do I expect to be rich? Not in money. 

Do I expect to fail? Oh yeah.

Will I give up? Nope.

At worst what do I have to lose? I have no real assets of significance nor kids and am single so that simplifies quite a bit of issues I feel others struggle with. Oh no... my $9-10 an hour ahhhhhh the misery.... :4chsmu1:

At worst, if you pack up your car and head out to the desert Southwest, you'll still be getting $9 to $10 an hour.  When I went from NC to AZ, I did it on the cheap.  All I bought was gas, one coffee, and two lottery tickets the whole trip. I spent about $65 a night on a hotel.  Took me three days of driving, maybe $60 in gas a day.

Howdy SM,

Just curious where you targeted as your closest (assumed decent) occurrence for AU leaving from Sarasota..? With I-75 being a straight shot into the eastern gold belts I put you between N. Atlanta & Dahlonega, and since you said mountains I have to call it closer to D than A.. Merely my blind take first impression is all..

Swamp

PS: Although Sarasota is a treasure unto itself, that area is actually known as the Cultural Coast.. The Treasure Coast is Indian River, Martin & St. Lucie Counties on the Atlantic side, fringes being Sebastian Inlet to the N and Palm Beach to the S, with the best locations for gold coinage finds being from just N of Wabasso on down to just S of Ft. Pierce..

Edited by Swampstomper Al

I found the uwharries to be the easiest to get access to for gold in NC unless you are way in the mountains in the SW portion of the state, good winter time location for east coast folks as it has fine gold all over the place and good water flow during winter. Summer is a different story.. lots of hunting nearby so something to be aware of if you go. Zero mosquitos in summer interestingly.. so was kinda nice when I found that part out! Wicked heat though that makes Florida seem like a walk in the park..

Great video chrisski ,my trucks loaded but 22 at the moment so I guess I'll wait a spell as another cuppa joe before I go sounds like a good idea...think I'll watch..and listen.. to that video another time. thanx again-John

Edited by Hoser John

Ok, small talk aside now.. You are definitely choosing a tough row to hoe, especially while in the midst of the most un-friendliest of times to date toward small-time miners / Main Street, USA businesses -- for we now live in Amerika; America has been corrupted away from us by Politicians, Banksters and Wall Street..

I'm not wanting to discourage you; matter of fact I wish you the best of luck.. However, you cannot let the stars in your eyes blind you to here-and-now realities.. Here's a sampling, both positives and negatives:

Short of going to work for one of the few big mining companies it's virtually impossible to get hands-on experience while at the same time drawing a pay check.. The fact you have zero interest in doing so anyhow is only further complicated by another fact you would learn only whatever compartmentalized part of the operation into which you were hired.. More than useless.. You may as well take out that school loan (or pray for a grant) and head directly to Mackay..

While I said it's virtually impossible to do the above, it isn't totally impossible.. It'll definitely involve massive internet 'footwork', cold calls and one heckuva self sales pitch just to maybe get an in-person chance to show that person and/or (his) crew you're a guy they didn't even know they needed as a part of their operation.. If you're planning on staying in-country, be prepared to move to the NW or AK, since it'll almost assuredly be sub-surface hard rock mining, although I have seen a couple of pretty sweet surface gigs..

$$s.. You're gonna need 'em, both for making the move (which has to be west) and staying alive while finding the gig.. I know you have no problem just packing up and going, but without at least a small bank roll how do you survive without ending up in exactly the situation / type of job you now have..? And then you're once again in the same trap, with the exception this time you're closer to or in the area where finding and persuading a mentor could possibly happen..

Further, I know you'll need to move west because like sooo many others I also tried to make it living on eastern belts found gold only.. Actually, that's not completely truthful -- because with my little experiment I was only shooting for break-even; profit wasn't even a part of the equation.. Quite the rude awakening and reality check, I must say.. On my best days ever I only lost "some" money.. Never once at the end of the day was the ink black.. I started under the belief I could make the Au trips profitable while "commuting" from here.. I ended knowing I couldn't make it pay as an one-person operation even if I was living on top of an eastern mother lode.. Just sayin'.. So it's go west or stay home, no 'go home' necessary..

It's good to have a dream.. It's better if the chance of making that dream come true is taking place where the opportunity actually exists.. Following that line of thinking you simply need to pack up and go.. But first, right..? There's always those pesky "but first's"..

There's a gentleman who periodically posts on this board who's always looking for good help.. The gig is seasonal (in AK), and up until this year (last year) the position most likely required spending your day at the bottom of the Bering Sea (exception maybe being if you are a top-notch wrencher..) He's in the process of opening up an inland claim(s), so who knows what he may actually have available or is looking for up-coming..? I have no idea if the pay is hourly, salary or a piece of the take.. While this might not be your ideal of 'mining', and although it's only 1/4th of the year, if you're as serious as you seem to be about 'learning the trade' you may want to at least have a chat with this fellow..

Swamp

Swamp I appreciate your time and sage advice. I like prospecting / mining because it constantly gives me mental stimulation I crave that I can't find in other lines of work while combining everything I'm looking for in a dream job. I was obsessed with construction equipment when I was younger, had a VHS that was 1 hour + just explaining all the different vehicles on a construction site and how they worked. First book I ever read of my own accord was "How Things Work" (simplified physics) as a young kid in elementary. I was that fool that never did his homework, was consistently top of the class, and slept through most of math classes because I was about 2 grades ahead of others and would mentor and just take my tests. Always found school boring because theres no challenge nor did it really net me any real life skills that help you as an adult beyond that of social interactions.Lo and behold, I still haven't used that pythagorean theroum yet... maybe one day... point being I'm one of those kinda-smart slightly autistic possibly (does run on mums side) highly undermotivated individuals.

Tell you what though, when I do see something I want get outta my way because I ain't stoppin till me legs fall off and turns out those boys can take some serious abuse! Resolve is a virtue. I don't have this fantasy that I'm going to suddenly go out west and get rich or be far better off than I am now.. I know I still have to work that crappy underpaid job that I have to fight tooth and nail just to get 40 hours let alone the 50 I want every week, but this is the first step to creating a better future for myself. First thing is get my butt near gold as you said, at least this gives me a point to start progressing from.

Ya know when I say large scale, I'm talkin like Gold Corps / Kinsman that sorta thing. I want to be able to meet everyone I work with / for ideally. The end goal is to KNOW exactly what I'm doing and have a small operation of my own that is profitable. I believe you are referring to steve philips and his son spencer, I messaged him but I'm not exactly sure what it is he does... basically its not a job but an opportunity to learn for the low low price of $2k a month so... yea... need some clarification there because I got a very strong "Tom Sawyer" impression after reading about the listing..

Me putting myself out there... worst case scenario nothing comes of it, best case I make some contacts in an industry I'd like to get better acquainted with. The Economy is based on 4 pillars... People who gather, those who create, those who sell, those who gather information. In america we have a SEVERE lack of the first 2 which leaves you with middleman crap and shady business practices we see today, so when we finally burn our bridges we wont have a darn thing to stand on... unless you know how to mine or refine!

Fiat currency is going to fall and when it does... people will go back to what they always have because it's familiar and it works, gold & silver bullion. Have some faith!

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:37 AM, Hoser John said:

Great video chrisski ,my trucks loaded but 22 at the moment so I guess I'll wait a spell as another cuppa joe before I go sounds like a good idea...think I'll watch..and listen.. to that video another time. thanx again-John

Hoser John--I do really like the video.  The guy that made it, I'm not sure he shows any gold in the video, but it sure does show normal guys out prospecting having an adventure. It's the adventure that keeps me going out every time.