Nugget Shooter Forums

What brand and model drywasher?

Mike Furness

Hi Folks ... I have a Keene 151 ... way to much drywasher for one or even two guys to work efficiently. Since I am now a one man operation unless my older son comes for a visit from Texas what drywasher would you recommend? Looking at a gold buddy right now ... Haven't laid money down on it yet. Definitely want a blower drive machine rather than a hand or battery operated puffer. I have a little Frank C made ole yellar hand puffer that is good for sampling but not production. Thanks for your help in advance!

Mike F

Mike, I also have the mid size Gold Buddy and it works good for me. I dig 6 buckets at a time then run them through the machine, dump the riffle tray into a bucket and go dig another 6 buckets. I do this about 5 times and call it quits.

I have the mid sized Gold Buddy, the Pony.  It is good for me to run dirt by myself, but a little too big to use as a sampling drywasher.  I run five full buckets before I dump the riffle tray.

I can put the pony in a Duffel bag, throw it on my back with a shovel, carry the drywasher with two quarts of gas, shovel and pick.  I did this a few times for sampling, but it wore me out.  I much rather run buckets through this after pulling it off my truck.  For me although doable as a one person op, moving the pony is still easier as a two trip or two person job. 

For sampling, I would have rather gotten a puffer.  Just too much work setting the pony up and carrying full buckets to it.

Thanks guys! All of you seem to be on the same page as me. When i was working the 151 I would get 10 - 12 or so 3/4 full 5 gallon buckets, dump onto the griz and then after letting it run for a bit dump the riffle ... repeat 2-3 times ... about all this 67 year old can handle by himself. That 151 is really a machine that I need to load to the sight with the truck or a trailer I'm planning to build to haul behind the RZR. Two walking trips to set up further out would be a welcome change! LOL! My sampler is that little ole Yellar puffer. 

Mike, if I had the money to do it...I would put my cash on Keene 140s. 

The older Gold Buddy's have a lip at the bottom of the hopper screen and too shallow of a hopper angle. :2mo5pow:Drove me nuts trying to use it. Hopefully the new ones are better designed. 

The new 140 has some transfer blocks on the frame that transfer vibration to the hopper...and no lip to catch and hold rocks. If I'm running dirt, sitting there scraping rocks off the hopper is a pain in the bottom.

How come you guys empty your riffle trays so much? I don't empty mine until it's half(or more)full of heavies.  Emptying the tray every few buckets seems overkill and you end up with way more concentrates to process.  :m2c:

Dave ... I empty the riffles often as that is the way I was taught to do it. I have to admit I do have more concentrates to work but the wet recycler makes short work of the final step done back at the house. Another reason for emptying the tray is that the black sands tend to be in a huge abundance where I have drywashed ... was afraid of floating the good stuff right out the front of the tray when the riffles were packed with the black stuff! Thanks for the comparison of the Gold Buddy to Keene 140. Hadn't looked that close at the fine points ... just looking to get something more manageable ... think I will see a 140 before I spend the money.

Mike maybe you should try not emptying your tray like Dave said and then run your tailings to see if you have or haven't lost any gold, then you would know if any gold was lost to to worry about and then maybe you could run a few more buckets on your outing, more gold and less cons, win, win!

Dave, Skip ... Next time out I will give it a try ... Thanks! With the rain and snow predicted here over next few days is going to put a damper on drywashing for awhile! Have to dig out the detector. Planning a detector trip to Quartzite first week of January. Maybe after that the ground will be ready to drywash. 

Mike F

Same for my dad and I. We run the gold buddy (2 of them) and they work great. Perfect for 1 person but can handle 2 people shoveling into them.

2 hours ago, Hoser John said:

Thompson makes a nice smaller unit, constant flow, elliptical throw,easily packable and good to go. John

Bought a Thompson a couple months ago. Works well, easy to pack and does a great job on getting the fines.   Jim

Adam ... HJ ... You guys gave me my first laugh of the morning ... not quite the coffee spewing laugh but a good one ... Thanks! ... You guys are a hoot!!!

Merry Christmas to all!

Mike F

2 hours ago, Hoser John said:

I'm down to two and when I sweep them out in the bed there is ALWAYS gold to be found soooo Toyotas "ARE" good as gold-John

Would be nice if it was that way with metal detectors too..

"Never budged from five-by-five while swingin', but scored nearly a pennyweight when cleaning out the cab afterwards.."

Yeah, that'd work.. :4chsmu1:

Swamp