Nugget Shooter Forums

Quartzsite Gold? Not This Weekend

mn90403

Lu and I got out to the Quartzsite Metal Detecting coin hunt on Saturday and had a good time.  The plan was to go nugget hunting after but we found more coins.

Now the plan was to go out nugget hunting on Sunday.  We got out on the road to check out the locations and drove around and stopped for a bit.  When we restarted I heard a noise and ... right, rear flat.  It was another sidewall.  I have to stop going on those quad trails with the Escalade.  When I hear the flat we were on a nice road and I thought this should take about 30 minutes but ... I couldn't get the cable on the spare to release far enough to get the tire off.  I was stuck.

I had wire cutters with me but that is for copper and this is a steel cable.  I had a cheap plier that I was fraying away at it when after about an hour some folks came by and they had a wire cutter and with one snip the spare dropped to the ground.  The change went smoothly after that.  Sunday was finished with only about 2 hours of detecting.

My road hazzard warranty store was about 100 miles away in Indio.  We got up early and made it to the store on the spare.  When I asked about it I was told it was an original from 2002 and I should replace it also.  Done and where to go?

Back to Barstow and ... 5 nuggets!  They total 3 grams.  I found 3 nuggets with the 7000 (1.3g) and 2 nuggets with the 2300 (1.7g).  That is what Lu called a Happy Ending!  So do I.

20161219_223011.jpg

• Like 10

Nice job Mitchel, did Jim the ol guy that's been there since 81 bug you?? I think he's do for a 4x4...

Dave

Those are some nice chunks Mitchel.  WTG !!

Having the wife on board with the detecting thing is great too....   :thumbsupanim

Luke

• Like 1

Nice bunch of gold Mitch! :yesss:

Glad you got some to make up for the headache.

You should think about some BFGs on the escalade and a 4 inch lift :thumbsupanim

Tom H.

10 hours ago, DolanDave said:

Nice job Mitchel, did Jim the ol guy that's been there since 81 bug you?? I think he's do for a 4x4...

Dave

Jim is a nice guy.  We had him speak at our PCSC meeting and we also made a club claim out there.

He has been there a long time and knows a lot.  We've hunted there all summer on the scattered gold and had fun but most of that gold was dry washed away in the 20's so we are getting the misses as I understand it.

It is getting slim but yesterday was a good day.

Were you out there recently?  Jim said someone was asking about me and they were talking about meteorites.

Mitchel

56 minutes ago, TomH said:

Nice bunch of gold Mitch! :yesss:

Glad you got some to make up for the headache.

You should think about some BFGs on the escalade and a 4 inch lift :thumbsupanim

Tom H.

I have Coopers on there now but when you catch a sidewall ... nothing stops that.

I need a 4x4 and then I REALLY get myself into trouble.

Mitch ... I used to use 'E' rated BFG on all my vehicles but the tread and formula was changed a few years back when they were bought out ... last set didn't last long compared to previous so I went over to the dark side and went to 'E' rated Toyo Open Country A/T's. Just put my third set on last week ... I get about 55000 miles out of each set on my past GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 and now my current Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4. Really like the tread design with its deep lugs, full drain channels from tread center to outside and the three radial channels for stability and straight tracking on the road. Surprisingly they are very quiet on pavement for a deep lugged aggressive tread. Take a look next time you need tires.

Mike F.

12 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Jim is a nice guy.  We had him speak at our PCSC meeting and we also made a club claim out there.

He has been there a long time and knows a lot.  We've hunted there all summer on the scattered gold and had fun but most of that gold was dry washed away in the 20's so we are getting the misses as I understand it.

It is getting slim but yesterday was a good day.

Were you out there recently?  Jim said someone was asking about me and they were talking about meteorites.

Mitchel

Not to long ago I met him, he told me some guy named Mitchel has been in the area.  I asked him if there was meteorites ever found... you just have to watch out for all those WW2 .50 shells everywhere :)....

Dave