Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
primalspirit

Nice afternoon at LSD

Got out for a few precious hours today.  Brought my GMT with the intention of focusing on the black sands tracking feature.  Came home with buckets full of back sand, which panned out to a few measly specks of gold.  Dug about 20 targets -- the usual, tiny bits of foil and shot.  One day this thing will get over a nugget!

Jean

• Like 6

Way to keep after it primalspirit!! takes time you will get there . 

WTG, Jean... Just keep on keeping on...Took me 7 years to detect my first nugget... Admit I was dredging and getting lots of gold in N. CA so I wasn't serious about detecting, but when we moved to AZ, got my first one at LSD in 1999 .... Merry Christmas and gold to you next time! ... Cheers, Unc

Jean! Glad your getting out :)   Keep at it. There is another outing coming up in March.

Ill bet your specks of gold add up to more than my GB2 flake I got at the Q last weekend after 3 days of hunting :)

Remember.......if your getting that small trash stuff...............if it was yellow, you would have got it :yesss:
Hang in there girl

Tom H.

Edited by TomH

It will happen. Took me 2 years to find my first Arizona nugget. That GMT is a fine machine and will do the job nicely.    Keep at it Jean :head:

Glad to hear you got a couple hours in, I was busy at home and work and today it is raining.... Keep at it and you will get over one.

No doubt Jean,your time will come.your in the right place and around the right people.
AzNuggetBob

Join a local yokel club and go out with experienced folks as small clubs full of fantastic folks just dying to lend a hand. You can never beat locals knowledge on current conditions, where to stay away from and most importantly where to go. Tons a au 2 u 2 and it will come.....John

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words, guys.  Nice to know that not everyone pops a nugget their first year, or two, or three .... :cry2: 

Jean,

I'd do what Hoser John said but if you don't do that ... you can ask others here to take you to one of their patchs to give you confidence ... wait ... I'll ask for you.

Hey guys.  If you are willing to meet up with Primal Spirit and take her with you to a little patch that still has gold then please send her a PM.

It DOES get easier after you have found a couple and you know your detector works!

Mitchel

• Like 1

Mitchel, where've you been my entire life?!:action-smiley-068[1]:

I'm not under the impression that anyone here has a special patch that keeps giving ... it seems eveyone is constantly exploring new terrain and finding new patches.

John, Relichunter, Bob, I hear what you are saying.  Maybe I'll rejoin one of the clubs.  I have belonged to both Roadrunner and GPAA.  They are large clubs and mostly I met other newbies.

Luke pm'd me with some useful tips, and the Toms have been very helpful, as you all have.  I learn so much on these boards, and need more hours in the field.  I'm not giving up!

Jean

• Like 2

1 hour ago, primalspirit said:

...Luke pm'd me with some useful tips, and the Toms have been very helpful, as you all have...

Jean

...and really, nothing more needs to be said.. NuggetShooter contains numerous examples of detectorists helping newer / other detectorists in the field, which is a whole different animal from the "read them a manual then turn them loose" schooling one generally hears or reads about on the boards.. Hats off to those of you who sacrifice personal detecting time helping a new generation to a quicker start and better understanding by sharing actual 'boots on the ground' examples & time with them..

Swamp

Hello Jean,  I don't know if you have read Luke J's post as yet questioning:" if he had to spend $6000 on a new detector just to find a nugget??"  There are some very good points from other members as responses, and I have added my own (from the post) below:

You're getting some pretty good advice here from the above members.  They have mentioned some "Good" points.  It took me 3-years of detecting and finding all-sorts of metal trash to "Finally-find" my first nugget, and I, like you read everything I could find to try to figure out how to get that "illusive-first-nugget".  I finally figured out that you have to consistently have "Boots-on-the-ground" and cover ground; always hit the exposed bedrock patches to look for that "one-sitting-duck-nugget"  that one tell tale nugget that tells me that there are more there.  You have to move slow, and swing that coil "low".  Also, as has been mentioned, If you are finding metal trash like that, most likely no one has been very thorough at detecting there, as most of us with many years experience at detecting for gold will ever leave that trash.  I especially don't leave it if I do find a nugget there, a I want to return and find more gold and don't want to re dig up that same trash.  And if you are finding lead on bedrock, "if" there is gold there, it will be there in the bedrock cracks along with the lead.  And as for maybe "going the extra mile" by removing overburden to get to bedrock, that to me is just like having a "guaranteed-nugget(or more than one) placed right within your reach.  

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm here, but for that first 3-year period of my detecting, I also had and used a White's GMT detector, but never found a nugget with it.  I later found that it was a great detector for treasure hunting and coins, but (for me at least), wasn't good for nugget hunting.  The VLF aspect of it just can't handle Arizona's high mineral areas, which is where most of the gold is.  I am sure that there are many others out there that swear by their vlf's ( and more power to them)but It wasn't until I bought my Minelab GP-3000 that I finally was able to find my first nugget, and I have been finding them ever since.  At any rate, "Keep-on-keeping-on" and you will finally get that illusive nugget. 

I will add that it is very important to be able to "Read-the-wash" and understand the character of gold in order to determine where gold will be.  Once you finally figure that out, about 90% of your battle is accomplished.  Gary     

• Like 3

Took me solid six months to score my first nugget. ..hang in there 

14 hours ago, GDM/PV said:

Hello Jean,  I don't know if you have read Luke J's post as yet questioning:" if he had to spend $6000 on a new detector just to find a nugget??"  There are some very good points from other members as responses, and I have added my own (from the post) below:

You're getting some pretty good advice here from the above members.  They have mentioned some "Good" points.  It took me 3-years of detecting and finding all-sorts of metal trash to "Finally-find" my first nugget, and I, like you read everything I could find to try to figure out how to get that "illusive-first-nugget".  I finally figured out that you have to consistently have "Boots-on-the-ground" and cover ground; always hit the exposed bedrock patches to look for that "one-sitting-duck-nugget"  that one tell tale nugget that tells me that there are more there.  You have to move slow, and swing that coil "low".  Also, as has been mentioned, If you are finding metal trash like that, most likely no one has been very thorough at detecting there, as most of us with many years experience at detecting for gold will ever leave that trash.  I especially don't leave it if I do find a nugget there, a I want to return and find more gold and don't want to re dig up that same trash.  And if you are finding lead on bedrock, "if" there is gold there, it will be there in the bedrock cracks along with the lead.  And as for maybe "going the extra mile" by removing overburden to get to bedrock, that to me is just like having a "guaranteed-nugget(or more than one) placed right within your reach.  

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm here, but for that first 3-year period of my detecting, I also had and used a White's GMT detector, but never found a nugget with it.  I later found that it was a great detector for treasure hunting and coins, but (for me at least), wasn't good for nugget hunting.  The VLF aspect of it just can't handle Arizona's high mineral areas, which is where most of the gold is.  I am sure that there are many others out there that swear by their vlf's ( and more power to them)but It wasn't until I bought my Minelab GP-3000 that I finally was able to find my first nugget, and I have been finding them ever since.  At any rate, "Keep-on-keeping-on" and you will finally get that illusive nugget. 

I will add that it is very important to be able to "Read-the-wash" and understand the character of gold in order to determine where gold will be.  Once you finally figure that out, about 90% of your battle is accomplished.  Gary     

Great post Gary. lots of info in it.   :thumbsupanim      AzNuggetBob

A minelab is definately nice to have. I broke down and bought one eventually, but to be honest, every piece I have found with it...could have been found with a quality VLF(GB2, GMT). Biggest piece I've personally seen found at LSD was over 5 grams and found with a VLF in the middle of a well known area.

There IS much less ground noise with the PI's to try and hear through, and there is a significant depth advantage.

The biggest hurdle is learning gold and where it deposits. As Gary said above, that is probably 90% of the battle. Stay in areas of shallow bedrock and don't be shy about removing some dirt if it's more than a couple inches deep. 

If you decide to persevere with the GMT...I do recommend the little 4 X 6 shooter coil. The smaller coil sees less mineralization  in iron-rich areas and is  significantly quieter. :head:

• Like 1

A lot of good points here on how to tame the VLF's

Jean
I'll tell ya when I first started huntin for placer gold with a detector. I picked it up (brand new)and took it out for several days,not years,and put it down after digging lots of garbage, no gold. I wasn't impressed.went back to dredging.
Then I read the manual. again and again and finally (ya it took me awhile)then I started to understand it. That's when I realized I had my detector tuned for 57 Chevy's. (sorry I dont remember where that is on the tuner pot):idunno::D

Whites GM2 are a very hyper machine running at very high frequency.
if you dont know how to tune them or de-tune them (make sure its ground balanced and lower sensitivity for "some hot areas")
that may be part of the problem your having?
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1