Nugget Shooter Forums

17x13 NF Evo coil settings for GPX 5000

Hi everybody; I just bought the Evo coil and am wondering what are good settings for the 5000 in mineralized to heavy mineralized ground. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!! P.M. me if you don't want to public post. Thanks from GoldBugMinelabNewbie (The Idaho Shooter)

Start with the factory presets in the timing (i.e.-Enhanced, Fine Gold, etc.) that runs the smoothest in your ground then tweak settings from there as necessary to achieve the smoothest threshold. If your ground is very heavily mineralized then switch to a DD coil. Go to Minelab's web site and study the "settings chart" for ground type. The Evo coils are no different than any other coil....find the settings that run the smoothest with that coil on that ground on that day (nobody can tell you settings unless they are standing there with you) and go for it! Good luck!!

Dean

Edited by Dbado1

Pretty much the same here. Same settings but it is definitely a lot hotter coil and will pick up some small stuff pretty deep. I was surprised a big coil like that could hear such small stuff.

Little more susceptible to EMI.

Tom H.

Each area will indeed require different settings, but the most important will be the "gain" after air tuning and ground balance try turning your gain all the way down, then slowly up until you start hearing it get unstable, back one number and hunt. All coils will allow for a different setting due to size or shape and remember running a high gain making the detector unstable will indeed hit hard on small stuff on the surface, but you will miss deep targets simply because you can not hear them. Higher gain does not put out any more power, it is not TX (transmit) it is RX (receive) and having it set for the most stable reception means more finds....

• Like 2

What Bill said is giving you pearls ... Nugget Shooting Gospel! ... My three most important settings are ground balance, threshold and RX gain (aka sensitivity) ... and I adjust in that order with a final ground balance just before I head off to the hunt ... with ANY detector!!! I have been doing it that way for about 3-4 years now and with rare exceptions that method of set-up has been the most successful for me. 

Mike F

• Like 1

Here is a response from a member at the GPAA forum explain it in radar terms after reading one of my posts about gain/sensitivity adjustment. Found it very simple to understand as did he....

Thanks Bill.......what you just said...." Higher gain does not put out any more power, it is not TX (transmit) it is RX (receive)" just made me realize a very basic concept which I was always overlooking or not really considering. And that may be why I am not finding much even though I am in the right locations for gold. For some stupid reason....I have always been thinking of trying to turn the gain up as much as possible and then Ground Balancing turned out to be a very unstable situation. I was always thinking that I would lose depth. Metal detectors are no different than radio's or radar, which I should have known better being in aviation electronics for 30 years. The transmitter is usually always a "fixed" amount of power which is transmitted through the antenna, measured in watts. When receiving back a signal through the antenna or "coil" when detecting... the sensitivity of the device is very important. The sensitivity adjustment prevents the machine from picking up too much reflected ground noise or as in radar....clutter on the display. The amount of power being transmitted to the ground from our detectors is fixed - no more or less than what the manufacturer designed it to be, unless your batteries get weak and cannot allow the transmitter to produce the full power. But what we are more interested in is the ability to hear the received signal back through the coil. The sensitivity adjustment will fine tune that "clutter noise" which causes us to not hear the subtle changes in the threshold for a deeper target. I dont know why I never applied this logic to my detecting with the Gold Bug Pro, which now that you mentioned now made me realize how to change my methods.

Leo
  • Like 2

GoldBug,

I have had my Evo 17x13 for two weeks. I have found that my normal settings work just fine with the Evo...you may adjust it to the ground conditions where you hunt, because the Evo is bit more susceptible to hot ground, and you will find yourself digging fathoms. I went out yesterday and dug a small area I killed with multiply of different coils. The 11" Mono , one of my favorite hot coils the Detech 15x10 E, Mono, 20 " Nuggetfinder Mono, sadie coil, and a few others. The ground was silent and I pretty much gave up on this small spot until I got the 17x13 evo. I spent 3 hours on the spot and recovered 3 bits of gold... 2 of them each came in at .19 grams, the larger one at .23 grams. They were all in mineralized ground and found deep. I ran it in enhanced because of high mineralization, gain 13, stab at 7...very slow speed. When in very slow, you have to remember to move the coil very slow, otherwise you will not hear those small deep targets.  The key is to control the threshold by your adjustments such as the gain, stab,and making sure you ground balance often.

evo 3.jpg

evo 1.jpg

evo 2.jpg

• Like 1

Nice hunting! :yesss:

I was using mine out at Quartzsite last weekend. You hardly hear a peep out there! Lots of time to just think, and think, and think....

Tom H.

Edited by TomH
  • Like 1