Nugget Shooter Forums

Mineral on outside?

Hi all. This was found in NW Colorado .  High desert. Stumbled across it on 1 of my many outings this summer. As you can see by the lighter it not big. Was wondering if anyone could tell me any thing about it. The rock itself is a grayish brown. More gray. The crystals on it ( if that's what they are ) are different shades of brown. I think it'sway cool the way it wraps around the rock. Looking forward to responses :4chsmu1:20161205_165519.jpg20161205_165519.jpg20161205_165444.jpg20161205_165500.jpg

20161205_165335.jpg

20161205_165430.jpg

THe inclusion in the center of the rock  looks  siliceous( surface texture looks conchoidal), the rest of it,???

Hard to definitely say what anything is from a photo without background info on geology of the specific area found(( to determine predominate rock type(s), if any)), streak test, hardness test and rudimentary chemical test- try a drop of vinegar on it to detemine if carbonate based/limestone type rock.

The fact that you're from Dinosaur, CO  and found it in NW COLo( where the monument is) suggests the inclusion  could be a fossil of some sort.

Dino , COlorado  -  NPS Monument  

If it responds to the vinegar, search the above link( find- limestone) as it identifies several rock formations within the monument that you may be able to crossreference with where you found it.

I assume you found it  outside the monument, ahem, ahem , cough, ahem....

Edited by weaver hillbille

Yes Weaver outside of the monument. I'm not allowed there on my 4 Wheeler ,  but it is just across the highway .  I'm not positive since I'm new at this but I believe I read that it's late Jurassic around here. Didn't leave a streak. Don't know about the hardness test but it can't be scratched with a knife. No reaction to vinager. I will take a couple more pics to post . 

20161205_175250.jpg20161205_175549.jpg20161205_175616.jpgYes Weaver outside of the monument. I'm not allowed there on my 4 Wheeler ,  but it is just across the highway .  I'm not positive since I'm new at this but I believe I read that it's late Jurassic around here. Didn't leave a streak. Don't know about the hardness test but it can't be scratched with a knife. No reaction to vinager. I will take a couple more pics to post .