Nugget Shooter Forums

TH out front and almost all loaded

shep

Cya there Thurs.  :) Will probably pull in drop the stuff and head out. Set up camp later.

Tom H.

26 minutes ago, Patrick in Havasu said:

And Tom H, remember:  no driving after dark.

Yeah, you gotta take your commodes in around dusk.  Lots of loonies racing around at that hour.  You don't want to be there when the schist hits the radiator fan. 

Old Tom

4 hours ago, shep said:

Headed for Q again. Leaving out early morning on the 7th. Gotta end a dry spell. Hopefully abit cooler than last month.

Yet, you live in the heart of the Motherlode( Oakhurst/Coarsegold is close to it, anyway)........ What am I missing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick in Havasu said:

It's much cooler Shep.  And Tom H, remember:  no driving after dark.

That's what headlights are for... Is the BLM brainwashing peeps? Some reg I'm not aware of?

2 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

That's what headlights are for... Is the BLM brainwashing peeps? Some reg I'm not aware of?

I seem to have a bad habit of running over things when its dark out....well, even when its light out also :) When guys leave there toilets out :yesss:

If you need something mushed up....you aught to come to the outings, I can take care of it :)
Tom H.

Edited by TomH
  • Like 3

Weaver Hill bille, granted much better and bigger gold here, but mostly on private property. Tired of dealing with people. Open BLM land in AZ and can deal with people I want to be with. Just say'n

• Like 5

Bill, Shep,

I got to take my Toy Hauler back down to Mesa for some repairs. 

If you guys don't mind the company I might stop by on my way back after the repairs are done.  Are y'all going to be there for a bit?

Figure I need to get my detecting in now.  I have to have surgery on my right elbow.  Too much swinging and digging I guess.  I've been to three Orthopedic surgeons trying to get a prognosis I liked.  All three said the same thing after looking at the MRI.  All the cartilage is gone from the head of the radial bone.  My arm locks up and when it gives way it does so with a loud snap that really brings tears to my eyes and darn near drops me to my knees.  Hurts like hell.

So they say the only way to alleviate this is to cut the head off of the radial bone.  Right now it's bone on bone and it has caused arthritis, and it really hurts. Cutting the radial head off alleviates the bone on bone contact.  I asked the doctor, BUT I don't like the idea of a bone just floating around in my arm.  He said that's not what happens, the tendons that connect the bone are still intact, and the radial bone connects to the adjacent ulna with tendons.  Just so happens that his assistant is a Cuban guy who had this same surgery 36 years ago in Cuba.  He was happy to show me that it didn't affect him at all, as he pounded his elbow into the table and went around lifting chairs and small tables with one hand.  I thought to myself, if I banged my elbow into the table like that guy, I wouldn't be able to stop screaming for 5 minutes.

I guess it takes 2 to 3 months to recoup from this kind of surgery.  I really am reluctant to do this, but the constant pain isn't good and it's only going to get worse.  I don't want the arthritis to spread to the adjacent ulnar joint. 

Did you know that if you have to get a total elbow replacement your lifetime lifting limit is 1 to 2 pounds?  What the hell use is that?  That's why I want to try and keep the rest of the elbow healthy.  Of course I am right handed; just my luck.  I may have to learn to swing with my left arm.

Doc

The switch between LH - RH (as far as swinging a detector goes) isn't as hard as one may imagine.. It's the "accessories" and type of ground being detected that make changing (or alternating during the day) difficult..

What do I mean by that..? Using myself as an example is I'm a total southpaw.. I started out swinging left handed, but it didn't take me very long to realize that since the majority of my detecting is done on beaches if I swung RH I'd almost never need to set down the detector because my dominant arm/hand would already be free to do the digging etc..

Y'all need to chip away at the stone and many are harnessed up as well.. You're setting down your detector regardless.. Ergo the decision of which arm to swing with isn't a matter of practicality; it's simply the way to do things, because you can.. However, if economy of motions ever came into long-term play it really wouldn't take one very long to re-balance..

Swamp

• Like 1

Even though I am right handed, I am very proficient at digging with my left hand, so I don't set my detector down as much as one might think.  I have been using my left hand for my pick for 24 years so no issues there.  As well as the fact that my right elbow just wouldn't take that abuse.

However, I have tried to swing my detector left handed, I feel as if I have no control and I'm going to whack myself in the face with the coil, which would be pretty darn hard to do.  But I'm sure I will adjust.

Doc

14 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Hi Doc -- I wrote the above intended as a generality.. It appears I've muddied the water more than clear it though.. My bad..

Swamp

No you didn't muddy the waters.  I was just trying to be funny.  I'm sure I can adjust to swinging with my left hand for a while, until I get the right arm healed up.  This getting old crap is for the birds.

Doc

• Like 2