Nugget Shooter Forums

trash gathering

azdigger

If you were finding the trash................if it was yellow, you would have got it :)
Keep at it man.

Cool pic

Tom H.

I figure if I keep hunting for trash then when the yellow comes along it will be a great surprise.

There was more hand stacking and a couple or real nice tailings pile from a shaft , I just want to have another person around

if I climb down into the wash....I have a skill at being clutz and don't want to be alone incase I fall.

Rick ... I know that very spot if it is in GB ... me and my GPX5000 and 14" NF Advantage elliptical were all over that hillside ... disgusting amount of trash there but did get a couple smalls about 10 to 12 feet above the stacks! Probably more there I just got real tired of trash every 6 or 7 inches! LOL! If you have the patience and want a project ... Pick an area about 20' x 20' and clear all the trash and then go low and very, very slow over the ground without discrimination and as high a sensitivity(gain) as you can without distorting the threshold. My bet is you will find a few pieces.

Mike F

Mike it is not in GB, a little closer to my home. I will go out there and give your project a try.

This place is not to easy to get to, I used my SXS to get there. There is lots of trash, old rusted cans and such even some big pieces of tin.

Might make a day of it, with pics for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lookin at your photo, your in the right place. I love hand stacks, some peoples trash is another mans treasure. be careful what you throw away.
AzNuggetBob

One thing I notice is those don't have vegetation growing on them, which makes me think that they are not that old.  In the five years I've been doing this, very few of the handstacks I've made have any vegetation growing on them, and those that do are very small.  I have come across handstacks that are overgrown, which makes me think they are quite old. 

One of the things I look for in my area are saguaros.  If I see the tall ones with branches, I know no one has ever gone through the area with large equipment because those would be older than the 1850s.  I've been to places on the LSD where the dry wash dredge had worked that to me don't look touched, but there's certain areas of 100 acres are so that are missing these cactus that make me think that was either mined or was a large camp at the turn of the century.  Saguaro's in an area of course don't mean that the area was never metal detected or worked by small operations, but more for the larger operations that had worked the LSD around the depression time.

Bill got me looking at vegetation and tailing piles at one of his lectures at the vegas gold show three years ago.

• Like 6

Chrisski

There is another good way to date a dig site. I use it all the time. In most cases the old miners left relics,Trash.
I'm also an avid coin and token collector, I always look for their trash dumps nearby. Bottles are the easiest to date but you can date tins cans and other leavins as well.
stacked rocks are a good indicator they found good gold there and spent a lot of time there.also even how well the rocks were stacked can also tell you who did it!
The Chinese were very good at stacking and they also tend to leave less gold behind. In narrow deep gullies they would run their drywashers on top of the stacked rock piles to keep the overburden up out of the wash.
I find more gold that they missed in there stacks than left in the washes,they screened them off (nuggets). they were very thorough other than that.
You have to keep in mind that the old timers didnt have available the knowledge of gold or mining we have today.many had little to no experience in mining.
That reminds me. I had this happen down in Mexico too. We were hammering some flats and slopes in a known gold area in Baja finding a few scattered out but it was slim pickens,

grammers,sub grammers so we went over that ridge and found another gully they worked.
they had worked it hard and stacked it big time in the gullies. I pounded the washes and cracks in the bedrock for a couple hours found very little. then it dawned on me. why not hit the piles.
I knew the larger nuggets are almost always up by the top of where they quit digging so I went up and hit the piles and was shocked how many nuggets they had screened off into the piles.:yesss:
My guess is they were using a 3/8-1/2" screen as all the nuggets were larger than that.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 7

19 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

I knew the larger nuggets are almost always up by the top of where they quit digging so I went up and hit the piles and was shocked how many nuggets they had screened off into the piles.:yesss:
My guess is they were using a 3/8-1/2" screen as all the nuggets were larger than that.

I like that concept.  I had heard that the old timers around central AZ had screened to 1/8" and bigger and threw the small dirt away.  Certainly makes more sense they would run the dirt smaller than the nuggets.  Also never thought of the gold being on the top of the overburden in the Handstacks.

Prospecting in Mexico would be interesting.  Garimpo told me some stories about this.

8 hours ago, chrisski said:

I like that concept.  I had heard that the old timers around central AZ had screened to 1/8" and bigger and threw the small dirt away.  Certainly makes more sense they would run the dirt smaller than the nuggets.  Also never thought of the gold being on the top of the overburden in the Handstacks.

Prospecting in Mexico would be interesting.  Garimpo told me some stories about this.

chrisski

Keep in mind your going to find a lot of trash in the drywash piles. including nails,nuts,bolts,screws,bailing wire,bullets,bullet shells,meteorites and boot tacks, and anything else they could find to hold the drywashers together. :D BTW those annoying so called boot tacks.
They also used them to hold the pick punched tin sheet, (home made grizzly/screen)on top of the wooden drywashers and they rattled out all the time.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Rick I hear ya,after well over thirty years of hunting,I'll tell ya until I down sized my bullet/lead/shell collection it was impressive :D I did keep the rare ones or the ones that had memories.When your digging them piles or hand stacks after awhile you may get this
Oh great another bullet find going through your head but sometimes when you least expect it, out flops a nice nugget.:yesss: almost like cracker jacks on steroids,surprise! it sure makes up for all the trash digs.
BTW if you want to pull down some piles and/or stacks or you got some trashy areas you may to build a magnet rake.they work great.
AzNuggetBob

great advice , there is a very nice wash that seems to cut right into some of the tailings , but I will wait till I got someone with me as I can be a bit on the clutzy side.

Just a safety thing. This wash has some nice waterfall like drops with some fair size collection of gravel ant the bottom of the drops.

I will post when I get back out there. 

If you need more suggestions on it just PM me.  AzNuggetBob