Nugget Shooter Forums

Another interesting summer find

Found this in NW Colorado. About 3 inches of this was poking out of the ground so I dug it up . It is 7 1/2 inches tall. 6 inches wide. 5 inches thick. It weighs almost 15 pounds. It's high desert here. Looking forward to finding out what it is :4chsmu1:IMG_20160924_134935072.jpgIMG_20160924_135058940.jpgIMG_20160924_135142254.jpgIMG_20160924_135251771.jpg

Very nice find Dingydino.  I agree with Bob, looks like a nice botryoidal (grape like) quartz agate piece to me.  I love the colors this one displays; should clean up nicely.

• 1 month later...

I think they do it by detailed work with an assortment of  high speed  burrs( think DREMEL tool but better). Just a guess.

I don't do it but have  heard others  roughly describe what's involved in the cleaning of fire agate, which has some similarities, I think.

. It helps if you can  ID  what has to be cut away , and what is to be saved, and the ability to precisely remove what isn't the silicious  goodies.

I have no way at this time to cut it. On 1 side it has a couple cracks. Thought maybe it would have split by now. I'll have to research some more to see exactly what to remove from it. Will be a nice winter project for me and a friend. Thx alot for all the help and advice. Im just a newbie trying to learn all i can :thumbsupanim

If you do get anything from it, it'd be nice to post pics of not only the product but the steps to get there.  There's not a lot on the internet about lapidary or cutting gems out of the rocks.

To have it sliced wrap it with plastic wrap put some Bondo on a piece of ceramic tile. Then take it to a local floor & tile shop and have slice it. Have had do it free. Can be polish with wet/dry carborundum sandpaper.