Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold vac questions

middleforkminer2

What CFM should I be looking at when shopping for blowers?  Suggested hose size?  I've been looking at blowers and talking to some small engine repair guys and the general consensus is that it's hard to beat an echo...I've even been looking at the higher priced backpack models...and think I may be able to fab one up that could serve double duty as a leaf blower when not sucking gravel...thoughts?  Suggestions?

Just bought a Echo PB-250 yesterday. It is rated at 391 CFM.  I will be building it in about a week from now. Second Echo I've had. Very satisfied the  performance. Sucks the gold right out of those bedrock/caliche cracks for sure.

I paid $149 at Home Depot      Jim

• Like 1

Yeah, I looked at the PB250 today at Osh they had it on sale. It doesn't look like it would mount up as easy as a PB255...

But the PB255 is an extra $100 for the same performance...this is what I'm eyeballin http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Blowers-(1)/PB-580H

I think a little fiberglass fabrication and it might work. I'm gonna have to see one in person and figure things out first though.

10 hours ago, LipCa said:

Too bad you can't use them in California......

(At least not anywhere near a stream)

Huh???  First time I'd heard that. Not that I'd doubt the stupidness of it.

ETA: I guess I'll have to get hold of the local F&G guy....I was reading the new regs. on dredging and I guess a person COULD construe the dredge ban to include the use of a vacuum for cleaning bedrock, but that's kind of a stretch...

Edited by middleforkminer2
  • Like 2

We sold many 1,000s of drywashers and vac paks back in the day with ECHO blowers and a mighty fine little product. Build a stand to get it off the ground to keep dirt/dust out of the intake as caliche builds and bearings go. Tons a au 2 u 2-John

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hoser John said:

We sold many 1,000s of drywashers and vac paks back in the day with ECHO blowers and a mighty fine little product. Build a stand to get it off the ground to keep dirt/dust out of the intake as caliche builds and bearings go. Tons a au 2 u 2-John

My wifes tripod for her camera with adjustable legs works perfect

• Like 2

6 hours ago, devilishjim said:

Find a place that you can buy regular gas that has no Ethanol in it.... It really is hard on our two strokes !

Truer words never spoken..!

I add Marine Grade Sta-bil to everything (the blue stuff, not the red,) including recreational fuel..

Swamp

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Truer words never spoken..!

I add Marine Grade Sta-bil to everything (the blue stuff, not the red,) including recreational fuel..

Swamp

DevilishJim and Swamp are right on with their comments.  Ethanol is bad news for two cycles and a fuel stabilizer will help out with keeping the fuel from breaking down faster.  Treat those engines well and you be rewarded with more AU.   Jim

• Like 2

I was going by the second paragraph......

"The use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment, otherwise known as suction dredging, is currently prohibited and unlawful throughout California.

Under new state law effective January 1, 2016, the use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment is defined to mean the use of a mechanized or motorized system for removing or assisting in the removal of, or the processing of, material from the bed, bank, or channel of a river, stream, or lake in order to recover minerals.

Under existing state law the California Department of Fish and Wildlife is also currently prohibited from issuing any permits for suction dredging in California under the Fish and Game Code. With state law in effect, the use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment, otherwise known as suction dredging, is unlawful in California rivers, streams, and lakes, and any such activity is subject to enforcement and prosecution as a criminal misdemeanor. (See generally Fish & G. Code, §§ 5653, 5653.1, 12000, subd. (a).)"

Edited by LipCa

17 minutes ago, LipCa said:

I was going by the second paragraph......

"The use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment, otherwise known as suction dredging, is currently prohibited and unlawful throughout California.

Under new state law effective January 1, 2016, the use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment is defined to mean the use of a mechanized or motorized system for removing or assisting in the removal of, or the processing of, material from the bed, bank, or channel of a river, stream, or lake in order to recover minerals.

Under existing state law the California Department of Fish and Wildlife is also currently prohibited from issuing any permits for suction dredging in California under the Fish and Game Code. With state law in effect, the use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment, otherwise known as suction dredging, is unlawful in California rivers, streams, and lakes, and any such activity is subject to enforcement and prosecution as a criminal misdemeanor. (See generally Fish & G. Code, §§ 5653, 5653.1, 12000, subd. (a).)"

Even though they say "the use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment" the added "otherwise known as suction dredging" would exclude a "crack vac" IMHO as long as it wasn't used in a wetted area close to a stream.

That being said I'm sure someone in CF&G might try and say it was forbidden.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Even though they say "the use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment" the added "otherwise known as suction dredging" would exclude a "crack vac" IMHO as long as it wasn't used in a wetted area close to a stream.

That being said I'm sure someone in CF&G might try and say it was forbidden.

I'm WAY past giving two flips...My retirement plans and my standard of living were shot to hell by California putting the "moratorium" on dredging...:grr01: It's the main reason I traded the equity in the house for the motorhome I now live in.....:2mo5pow:I darn sure ain't gonna be "dredging" and if the idiots want to drag me into court because I was vacuuming the cracks in bedrock....have at it!!!  I'd love the opportunity to have a public forum to express my grievances before the state of Ca.!!!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, middleforkminer2 said:

I'm WAY past giving two flips...My retirement plans and my standard of living were shot to hell by California putting the "moratorium" on dredging...:grr01: It's the main reason I traded the equity in the house for the motorhome I now live in.....:2mo5pow:I darn sure ain't gonna be "dredging" and if the idiots want to drag me into court because I was vacuuming the cracks in bedrock....have at it!!!  I'd love the opportunity to have a public forum to express my grievances before the state of Ca.!!!

I agree mfm2. 

Nobody has visited me while sucking the cracks(yet)...   Just saying maybe that might be the way they read it.

Lean, mean, quiet and clean, give'r hell Lip....when it dries out that is , wow what a fall :brows: over 8" this month in N.Redding  and massive storms piling up for much MUCH more YAHOO. John

On 11/21/2016 at 6:27 PM, middleforkminer2 said:

Yeah, I looked at the PB250 today at Osh they had it on sale. It doesn't look like it would mount up as easy as a PB255...

But the PB255 is an extra $100 for the same performance...

Well, we have a "participating dealer" close by and it looks like I can get the PB 255 for $199 new...:th:I've been looking on craigslist and found a couple of good looking "Used" blowers, but figuring in the cost of driving a hundred miles only to buy a cheaper unit of unknown history, I think buying new might be best. The guy said it should be here by Friday, so I guess I'd better get busy looking for the lightest/strongest way to  fab up a base and collection tub...I may end up going with the commonly used "bucket" method of mounting one up, but since I've got a whole bunch of spare time, I think I'm gonna try a different way....

• Like 1

A back pack blower would be awesome powerful but bulky and heavier to lug around the desert.

Though,If the PB250 isnt enough power for you and you dont mind lugging around heavier items then I think the guys really pulling in gold drywashing are taking a generator and a shop vac out with a quad. The shop vacs run forever without a break and no fabbing custom equipment.

• Like 1

I've never used a "gold vac" that's why I started the thread...In the last couple weeks I've even been looking at the CFM of the shop vacs to figure out how much will be enough and I "think" that the smaller echo units will be fine....weight is a major concern so the "backpack" style of blower is pretty much out of the picture, though the Echo PB 265 would be good at 12 lbs. 

I'm still tossing ideas around in my head...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 250 on my vac and honestly was a bit disappointed by its performance. Runs great, just doesn't have the suction that the shop vac I used to use had. It works and saves having to haul in a generator, but a little higher cfm blower would be nice.
Sure makes cleaning bedrock a ton easier!

17 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

I have the 250 on my vac and honestly was a bit disappointed by its performance. Runs great, just doesn't have the suction that the shop vac I used to use had. It works and saves having to haul in a generator, but a little higher cfm blower would be nice.
Sure makes cleaning bedrock a ton easier!

Dave....thanks for posting this...what size suction hose do you have?  2 1/2?  I'm going into town today for some grub and "Tart" cherry juice and am gonna see if any of the hardware stores carry the 1 7/8" "premium" hose...  http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1-7-8-in-x-10-ft-Pro-Grade-Vacuum-Hose-Kit-for-RIDGID-Wet-Dry-Vacs-VT2570/100375877  do you think a smaller hose might work out a little better?  I "Think" this hose is also "smooth" on the inside, but will have to check...I'm not really fond of the "ridged riffles" of the regular vacuum hose.....I'm still looking at container options too.

Mine has soft 2" hose. Smooth on the inside...kind of looks like a mini dredge hose.

A slight reduction in size could be very beneficial to suction. I hate that plastic corrugated crap! It never bends the way you want it and it whistles at high throttle. 

I would try the 1 7/8" hose when mine is worn out. 

On 12/12/2016 at 7:35 AM, middleforkminer2 said:

Dave....thanks for posting this...what size suction hose do you have?  2 1/2?  I'm going into town today for some grub and "Tart" cherry juice and am gonna see if any of the hardware stores carry the 1 7/8" "premium" hose...  http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1-7-8-in-x-10-ft-Pro-Grade-Vacuum-Hose-Kit-for-RIDGID-Wet-Dry-Vacs-VT2570/100375877  do you think a smaller hose might work out a little better?  I "Think" this hose is also "smooth" on the inside, but will have to check...I'm not really fond of the "ridged riffles" of the regular vacuum hose.....I'm still looking at container options too.

That RIDGID hose cracks pretty fast here at the beach, can't imagine how much faster it would go in the Sun. Always found Depot's Blue Pool hose to be superior, but pretty long.