Nugget Shooter Forums

March outing

azdigger

I know it is way early but the big question for me is where is the march outing going to be.....

I need time to plan.....not that I am slow.....well maybe a little.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

It was pretty darn warm at the end of March last year, I remember Old Tom wanting to have it earlier in the month for 2017. Its best to keep him happy.

Got to agree with you Shay....on both parts! :)
Tom H.

Hard to believe it'll be six years since we were last out there, but unless you've noticed a very definite warming trend year over year between mid March - mid April since 2011 I'd be hesitant to move the spring outing earlier than the 3rd weekend in March.. Matter of fact that date is one of the reasons we haven't pushed harder to make the 2300 mile drive for the outing -- the weather can still be verrry iffy around Wickenburg at that time of year..

Admittedly I haven't paid much attention weather-wise out there since '11.. However, for that trip I paid a great deal of current attention and also checked a fair amount of historical weather data for the region.. I determined the best time for ideal weather (for Congress / Stanton) was the very end of March through the middle of April -- highs in the mid-upper 70s to low 80s / lows upper 40s to lower 50s+.. Near zero chance of precip is a given.. Yet even with that outlook it snowed one night in Congress and only got into the low 60s the next day.. Yarnell & Peeples Valley got well over six inches of snow.. Although things returned back to 'normal' by the following day at the bottom of the hill, the change up-and-over was severe enough we cancelled heading to Prescott for our last few days because high temps the rest of the week up there were only going to be maybe 50 with lows in lower 20s or lower, not to mention the snow now on the ground too.. Was a real bummer needing to stay around Rich Hill, lemme tell ya.. :rolleyes:

Sooo anyhowww.. Just sayin'.. And sharing a bit of historical & actual weather data gleaned back then for what turns out to be another future timeframe in question.. FWIW.. Actual mileage may vary..

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ahorton10 said:

Swamp, the last 2 match outings were pushing 90 degrees in the afternoon.   theres a big elevation difference between little San Domingo and Yarnell. 

Pushing 90..? Dang..! That just ain't right at all.. No wonder everyone's wiggin' out..

Personally I'd think they were flukes caused by the Polar Express jet streamages, then the El Nino effects the following year.. If you move a weekend or two earlier nothing will change locally except possibly night lows a couple degrees, all else being equal.. As long as a large front doesn't move through everything should be pretty much same-same..

Not sure why I even mentioned the up-and-over in the outing context, other than the 1800' elevation change in 4 miles driving seemed pretty significant at the time..

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al

Just remember, around Wickenburg March 1 is called "Snake Day" because that's the official day rattlers come out ... 80 degrees and up, normally... Cheers, Unc

• Like 3

I remember early April about 10 years ago weather was around 74 in Las Vegas.  Thought it would be fun to run down to Quartzsite.  103!  I darn near died.

I mean how can it be so hot 180 miles south of Vegas?

Doc