Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Heist Santa Ana Mineral Show....

SPECIAL ALERT!!!!! $10,000 REWARD

This past weekend we were working a show at the Holiday Inn in Santa Ana, California (West Coast Gem and Mineral Show). Our show space is a separate meeting room (Irvine Room) which we set up on Thursday. A hotel maintenance man installed a new lock on the only door and gave us what he said were "the only keys (4)" to the room. We left at 6pm on Saturday, November 12 and returned at 8:30 am Sunday morning, November 13. The door was LOCKED and Wayne used his key to open as usual. Sometime durng the night the room was entered (no signs of forced entry at the door or windows) and approximately 60 small to miniature gold specimens were stolen from a locked display case on a table. We had taken all of the larger golds home with us each nightl. The labels were left behind and nothing else in the room was disturbed, except for my new MacBookPro which was also taken. We believe this is an 'inside job' at the hotel and the specimens will no doubt be sent off to a refiner for meltdown to recover the gold value. We estimate that the most they are likely to get would be $8,000 - $10,000 since these were all well crystallized specimens and not much weight. There are a dozen of the new Brazilian golds, and the rest are from the Oriental Mine and the Eagle's Nest Mine. We did the one thing we should not have done and that was trusting that the locks and roaming security would protect us - lesson learned at a very high cost. We are offering a reward for information leading to the return of the specimens. Contact Dona at dona@kristalle.com for more information on the police case number, police contact, etc. Should anyone be offered these specimens, please try to take possession of them, detain the individual, get names if possible and call the police immediately. We are still working on the 'inside job' theory because we cannot imagine that a member of our collecting community would be so evil, but perhaps that is another lesson we will learn. Thanks to all of you over the years who have given us such pleasure and support - that means more than any loss we have now.

Goes to show us all...........from now on tight lips, lose lips sink ships.....

Check the hotel cameras! See who came and went at that time if you can.

Srry to hear about this.
Tom H.

• Like 1

You were actually lucky in comparison to Pete Pederson as he got hit twice at GPAA shows 10x your loss. I took 4 bullets in the face, thank god short 22s, outside when they tried to use bolt cutters to get my steel briefcase off my wrist. LAST time I sold gold at any show. Hope you get them scum sucking filthy *&^%$# :2mo5pow: dogs.. John

My condolences for your losses Relichunter.  Yep, sounds like an inside job.  In these days of the lowest of the low expectations inside jobs appear to be spreading rapidly to the digital world.  My wife had her debit card hacked with charges made in Mexico.  Funny thing is it was a relatively newly issued card and the card NEVER was used even once and at all times was locked in a drawer at our residence.  I can only presume that an inside bank employee somehow was involved.  Although all charges were reversed and credited we still haven't heard from the bank regarding how the heck this could have happened.  Makes you not want to order things online if you have to speak to an employee and give them the security number on a credit card because who is to say that "sterling employee" won't copy the info and...  Anyway, my rant for the day.

• Like 1

I have had a show case full of nuggets up to one ounce.  I have done this for the last six or seven years.  I have now decided no one gets to enjoy my gold except family and friends.  It is sad as it is quite a visitor magnet at the Mother Lode Mineral Society show in Turlock, Ca each March.  Just another sign of the times.  Jerry

• Like 1

Ohh sorry was not mine, the people who lost all the gold were    Donna and Wayne Leicht with Kristalle Minerals in Laguna Beach. Went to the West Coast Show and wanted to share the news...pretty crappy for someone to do that, but I am sure they will solve it...seems so obvious on who the culprit was. Donna & Wayne are experts on California gold and sell some pretty incredible specimens. Anyways sorry for the misunderstanding  I have no gold..............:idunno:....

Seems like this is a common occurrence, sadly. I heard someone in Lovelock got his house broken into and his gold nugget collection stolen. Keep in mind he was one of the original hunters of Rye Patch, Ten Mile and many other areas back in the 80's and 90's.

Edited by Morlock

Great folks with the best of the best since I met them in the 80s-90s when in biz in the OC and sold a few species as they were right close. WOW with all their many MANY years of experience to get hit is just sickening and sad sic world. John

4 hours ago, Morlock said:

Seems like this is a common occurrence, sadly. I heard someone in Lovelock got his house broken into and his gold nugget collection stolen. Keep in mind he was one of the original hunters of Rye Patch, Ten Mile and many other areas back in the 80's and 90's.

Sure hope it wasn't a friend who lives near RP. Recent?

• 2 weeks later...

Update on theft, this is from Donna Leicht of Kristalle Minerals own words  "This is what I have to say to those deplorable (no, not you Trump people) creeps who stole the gold and my computer. So far, no news and we have spread the word in every corner of the world. We're fairly certain it has gone to a 'we buy gold for cash' suspect business and they won't have enough sense to realize that what they have is worth more as specimens than melt-down. I must say the police have lost interest and the hotel is not cooperating. Some kind of world we live in.......except.....we truly appreciate the outpouring of concern from so many of you and offers of help. It is a major lift for our otherwise down spirits"

Looks like these specimens which included some fine crystalline gold from   Mato Grosso State , Brazil have probably gone to the furnace and sold to the nearest gold buyer. 

My god I fel sick at that statement.....deepest condolences. I lost gold to a shakey black addict in Westminster who snuck in and put a cocked 45 auto in my face and after the cong gangs tried the same my new kg-99 stopped that act. I sold out as toooooo much bs to stay in the OC for me. Cong gang shootouts in our family restaurant whilst trying to eat a meal. Creepy crawlies in the attic of the strip mall cutting out separation partitions, broke into warehouse on on and on. MUCH safer to just mine. John

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New to this I hope to be joining your  club.  Debit cards and regular bank cards.  I've been hacked too many times.  I check my charge cards all the times when having large amounts of money in them by phone and at home on line.  My bank told me how they do it.  One time someone from Sheffield England hacked it twice, They use a ROBOT PROGRAM that sends out a 16 digit program that looks for active accounts and deposits one dollar into the account. If it finds one within 5 seconds or early it takes that dollar back and as much money as it can and than closes their account.  My bank closed my account as soon it could, it happened on a Saturday DATE NITE, I was pumping gas into my truck when it happen and  all the banks were closed, they took $1200 dollars.The bank gave me a new charge card ten days later, GUESS WHAT it happened again same hacker, this time within 14 days they hacked my new charge card and got $2200 dollars. Set your charge limits low so the hackers cant take as much before the bank turns of your card.   I closed my bank account an went to another bank BANK OF AMERICA who said their charge accounts are protected and will pay back any money back up to a set amount.