Nugget Shooter Forums

Here they are.

Great time up there. Temps were really nice. LOTS of good food. Had fun meeting old friends and new ones. A lot of people found gold:yesss:

Its just too bad we didnt get one of Patricks cakes this year. I guess he wanted to just lay around the house or something like that :idunno:

If anyone else has some pics throw them up here.

Looking forward to the next one.

Tom H.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Edited by TomH
  • Like 9

Great pics !!

You weren't kidding when you said a lot of gold was found...   Congrats to the finders  :thumbsupanim

I'm pretty sure I know which hand was boulderdash's....   :4chsmu1:

Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the next outing.

Luke

• Like 1

Thanks for posting pix, Tom.. That was definitely a nice pan full of I take it dry washin' squeezins for sure.. Who knew..?! BD's like a magician -- when he opens his hand you know there's gonna be gold in it, just never know how much, lol..! Nice other finds there as well.. Great story tellin' camp fire.. And O. M. G. !! -- I am sooo Jonesin' for some brisket right now, AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH !!! :4chsmu1:

Swamp

• Like 1

Great time at the outting.  Great people.  Thanks to Mike and the crew that invited me to tag along to a gully where they were finding some gold on bedrock.  I got really lucky and managed to score a deep 3.7 grammer that was  sitting on edge down between some rocks.  A really really subtle target when I first heard it with the GPZ.  More of a drop out of the threshold than anything.  Decided to kick a little dirt and it got better.  Finally the hole was deep enough and the target was confusing enough that I borrowed someone's Gold Bug to actually pinpoint it.

It must have been on edge in the hole and once I got it out apparently it was laying flat because then the GPZ7000 was just screaming.  Up to that point it was just a subtle repeatable target.  I thought maybe it was a deep 1 grammer.  I was as surprised as everyone else when that nugget went clunk as it fell into the plastic scoop.  

I feel very fortunate because as you know when you go some place new it is rare to find anything until you learn the lay of the land.  Fortunately, due to the generosity of fellow prospectors who allowed me to tag along, my learning curve was greatly reduced.  Thanks Mike and crew!

Of course being the brilliant idiot I am, I thought I could find my way back to camp by myself.  It was only 8 miles away.  Well after I had traveled 12 miles and nothing looked familiar, I realized I really didn't know my way back to camp.  After I had traveled 16 miles I finally came out of Route 60.  But I had no idea which way to turn.  Fortunately there were some nearby houses and a sweet elderly lady told me that I was a f---ing idiot and I was 2.6 miles away from the Morristown turnoff, and I needed to turn left on Route 60.  So I rode the shoulder hoping that a cop would not catch me because my ATV isn't street legal.  The sweet old lady didn't call me a f 'ing idiot, I was just assuming that is what she was thinking. 

You know seriously, we need to make it to as many of these outtings as possible.  Most of us are getting of that age when we never know when it is time for our ticket to be punched.  I love seeing Bill, and Kevin Hoagland, and Shep, Old Tom, Bunk.  Making new friends, and meeting people who I know via the forum, but have never met, like Boulder Dash.  A lot of customers that I have spoke to on the phone but never met in person.  We really need to enjoy and appreciate these friendships because they are just to valuable to ignore.  

I don't know how many of you remember Plaz Conner.  Plaz was a great friend, came to all the outtings.  About 10 years ago I guess, he was 33, riding his dirt bike.  Pulled off the track and dropped over dead.  Autopsy never showed why he died.  You just never know.  These friendships we have all made are treasures we just should not take for granted.

All in all a great time, thanks again to everyone, for your help, and camaraderie.

Doc

2016-11-12 11.10.11 (600 x 450).jpg

2016-11-12 11.10.26 (600 x 450).jpg

• Like 7

By the way.  I have put my office building up for sale and have moved into a warehouse.  We are about 95% moved in.  darn I have a lot of stuff.

2016-10-27 16.15.48.jpgDoc

• Like 1

Of course being the brilliant idiot I am, I thought I could find my way back to camp by myself.  It was only 8 miles away.  Well after I had traveled 12 miles and nothing looked familiar, I realized I really didn't know my way back to camp.  After I had traveled 16 miles I finally came out of Route 60.  But I had no idea which way to turn.  Fortunately there were some nearby houses and a sweet elderly lady told me that I was a f---ing idiot and I was 2.6 miles away from the Morristown turnoff, and I needed to turn left on Route 60.  So I rode the shoulder hoping that a cop would not catch me because my ATV isn't street legal.  The sweet old lady didn't call me a f 'ing idiot, I was just assuming that is what she was thinking. 

Thats FUNNY! :):ROFL:  But, seriously............there are some things we take to the grave and dont admit :)

Glad you made it back. I didnt know this happened. Had a friend with me and this was his first time out. Told him to GPS the camp and the truck once we got out and started detecting. I always flag the truck. Its easy to get "turned around" when your back in. Have had to use it a couple of times :idunno:

Tom H.

• Like 1

TomH and Old Tom, it was great to meet you guys after having so many forum discussions.  Good times.  You guys are a hoot!  Wish I could have hung out later but duty called.  Catch you guys more in the future.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, TomH said:

Thats FUNNY! :):ROFL:  But, seriously............there are some things we take to the grave and dont admit :)

Glad you made it back. I didnt know this happened. Had a friend with me and this was his first time out. Told him to GPS the camp and the truck once we got out and started detecting. I always flag the truck. Its easy to get "turned around" when your back in. Have had to use it a couple of times :idunno:

Tom H.

Oh I had GPS'd the camp.  I just didn't believe what it was telling me.  At one point I was 4.9 miles away in the opposite direction of the way I was going.  BUT I AM not going to trust some piece of technology that runs on batteries. I ended up being only 2.6 miles away, I felt like that was an accomplishment.  

Shep can tell you stories about me and GPS's.  I don't have a good relationship with them.  They are just like a woman, they are always right, and I am just like a man! I never do what they tell me to.

Doc

• Like 3
2 hours ago, DOC said:

After I had traveled 16 miles I finally came out of Route 60.  But I had no idea which way to turn.  Fortunately there were some nearby houses and a sweet elderly lady told me that I was a f---ing idiot and I was 2.6 miles away from the Morristown turnoff, and I needed to turn left on Route 60.  So I rode the shoulder hoping that a cop would not catch me because my ATV isn't street legal.

Someone coming back from Rich Hill on Saturday told me they saw you riding your quad down the highway :D

• Like 2

Oh I had GPS'd the camp.  I just didn't believe what it was telling me.  At one point I was 4.9 miles away in the opposite direction of the way I was going.  BUT I AM not going to trust some piece of technology that runs on batteries. I ended up being only 2.6 miles away, I felt like that was an accomplishment.  

Been there...done that...This is BS..somethings wrong. I know where im going...I learned to trust it :)

Glad I didnt do a career as a fighter pilot...............I would have planted myself in the ground at a high rate of speed.

Tom H.

Edited by TomH
4 hours ago, LukeJ said:

Great pics !!

You weren't kidding when you said a lot of gold was found...   Congrats to the finders  :thumbsupanim

I'm pretty sure I know which hand was boulderdash's....   :4chsmu1:

Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the next outing.

Luke

Yup my hand was easy to spot. I had my personal best nugget shooter first day gold finds with around 40 nuggets detected . Saturday in a new area I managed 8 more amongst massive trash. total was 5.52 grams 

• Like 5

That is  a great nugget Doc...It felt heavier than that...I beeped that wash years ago (I call it "Lion Wash") 'cause I encountered a mother mountain lion and her cubs there... I hunted it with either my GB2 or GMT, don't recall which, and found trash but no gold... Good seeing you again after 10 or so years... Great outing.... Cheers, Unc

59 minutes ago, DOC said:

You know seriously, we need to make it to as many of these outtings as possible.  Most of us are getting of that age when we never know when it is time for our ticket to be punched.  I love seeing Bill, and Kevin Hoagland, and Shep, Old Tom, Bunk.  Making new friends, and meeting people who I know via the forum, but have never met, like Boulder Dash.  A lot of customers that I have spoke to on the phone but never met in person.  We really need to enjoy and appreciate these friendships because they are just to valuable to ignore.

How true! I, for one, am thankful for having had the opportunity to attend and to meet more of you, including you, Doc. That nugget you found sure was a nice one - probably the biggest single find on the outing - thanks for showing it to us. It seems that prototype contraption you were using is working out very well for you!

I had a great time even though I didn't happen to score a nugget of my own; the real treasure I found came in the form of new friendships, time spent with a few folks I've met over this past year, lots of laughter, great food and an all-around good time. Those things are priceless to me - worth more than gold. Congrats to those of you who found gold! It was a pleasure to have met a few more of you in person (even if I'm terrible at remembering names, I do remember faces and little things that stand out in my mind.)

Actually, I want to know if Shep is available for adoption, after getting a taste (or two, or three or more) of that amazing 'shine he conjured up and shared. Wow! That stuff was scary good! Thanks for sharing that, Shep, and for making the trip out here so we could meet you... AND for coming over with Bill to help me finish getting my tent up when it was nearly dark. <3 U Guys 4 that! Little things like that really matter...

Thanks again to Bill, for making it all possible & for being such a wonderful camp "host" and making awesome brisket, as well as being a good friend, speaking up on my behalf and arranging for someone to let me sort of tag along so I wouldn't be out there by myself. I'm too shy to ask that from people I don't know well, but I will be the first one to admit that I don't like hunting without someone else being within hollering distance or knowing where I'm at just in case...

Thank you to Steve and Tracy for letting me follow you out to an area I'd never been to before on Sunday. I'd love it if Tracy (or Steve) would PM me to get my cell # so she could send me the photo of the tarantula so I can show it to my sons. Please? They probably won't believe I didn't run away screaming after I spotted it on a rock right next to where I parked my rig when they see it. LOL (I'm very arachnophobic, but I didn't panic & it didn't come at me, so it was actually pretty cool.) The only thing that would have been even cooler would have been if I'd actually pinged my first detector nugget out there. I didn't, but I'm still trying to get familiar with my detector, learn to interpret it's unique language and I don't expect to reap immediate rewards.

These days I don't seem to get out nearly as often as I want to or need to, so that makes gatherings like these extra-special to me. Just being in the company of those who are practically "legends" in the field of metal detecting and gold prospecting is a humbling experience for someone like me; I had so little knowledge when it comes to nugget shooting and prospecting for gold in a desert environment when I first started out. I'm STILL learning from you and I can't thank you enough for sharing your experiences and knowledge with people like me.

I'm already starting to look forward to the next outing. Now that the weather is cooling down, I'll be getting out more often whenever possible. With any luck I'll get my first detector nugget between now and then.

Lisa

• Like 1

It was any first Nugget Shooter outing. I had a great time. Met a few new people. Doc, was nice to have met you. I was with you, Mike Slater, Chris Miller, Jim Hamilton & Adam Horton in the area you found that nice nugget. 

Boulder Dash, thanks for the pointers with the GB2. You are definitely the master of that machine. And quite the gold magnet. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Someone coming back from Rich Hill on Saturday told me they saw you riding your quad down the highway :D

Darn Rob Allison can't keep a secret.  LOL

Doc

• Like 2