Nugget Shooter Forums

Greaterville Expedition

LukeJ

Hey Everyone !!

Initially, I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't make it to the outing this time around.  :idunno:  I expect that y'all had a great time and I'm looking forward to hearing about it....  

My wife had a conference in Tucson this weekend, so I got a chance to do some detecting in Greaterville instead.  :4chsmu1:

I'd like to thank Tortuga for helping me figure out where to go, and where not to go when I got down there.  His suggestions enabled me to narrow down a large area to a few likely spots.  As it turned out, I didn't end up where I'd planned to go, but I guess it was a good thing that I turned right instead of left...   :brows:

I was out there at sunrise Saturday, and made my way down into one of the historical placer gulches.  I drove to the end of the road and was excited to see a stretch of exposed bedrock in front of me.  It didn't take long after that...   I got a nice mellow signal on the edge of a bedrock drop-off.  It took me longer than usual to find the target and after about 15 minutes, I was about to get up and walk away because I wasn't sure if the sound was from an area of hot bedrock or an actual metal target.  Fortunately, I discovered a little bit of clay I had missed in a corner of a crack and out popped my first Greaterville nugget.  After that, I stayed in the immediate area and just rolled some rocks and kicked the gravels aside.  After the first nugget, all of my signals were just barely disruptions of the threshold before I started digging.  Two nuggets, including the black one, were found on a hunch that more gold could be close after digging the previous nuggets.  I moved overburden off the bedrock and twice was surprised to hear a signal.  :head:  :yesss:     I had an AWESOME five nugget day on Saturday.

Sunday morning, I drove back down and met up with Tortuga, fishing8046, and Desertpilot.   It seems we had our own 'outing', with southern Arizona representing.  It was great to meet some guys from the forum and put some names to faces.  We took a few minutes to introduce ourselves and get acquainted, then we set out to find some more gold.  Since I lucked out and found a good spot the previous day we went back to take another look.  After some show and tell, everyone went in different directions and I proceeded to continue where I left off the day before.  Once again, it didn't take long for me to find another faint disruption in the threshold.  What ended up taking a long time was recovering the nugget.  There were several intersecting cracks and no matter how I swept the coil over the rock the signal never got much louder.  After about 45 minutes of squatting and kneeling and sitting on the hard granite, I had to take a break and walk away for a bit.  Eventually, I was able to retrieve the nugget from the very bottom of a narrow crack with a stick from a local oak tree.  :D 

Usually when the subject of Greaterville comes up, people tend to talk about the deep trash.  It seems that I found an area where the previous detectorists removed most of the trash and left a few pieces of yellow for the new guy.  When it was all said and done, I only had about 20 trash targets and 6 nuggets.  Totally epic and definitely not what I was expecting.

I'm looking forward to going back down there in the future and hopefully I'll be able to meet up with Chris, Bob, and Kevin the next time around.

Thanks again guys !!

Luke

20161113_203800.jpg

Great first encounter, Luke..! :yesss:

We tried to make it to Greaterville the last time we were out y'all's way.. We were heading to Wickenburg after spending a few days in the canyons S of Sierra Vista, so were coming in from 83 rather than 19 / 89.. Although the road looked good and was nicely scraped, a 2WD highway-cruzin' van really isn't the best vehicle to use tryin' to get back in there.. Made it as far as the restroom pullover and had to call it cos we looked and felt like a combination of these guys :ROFL: :ROFL: and frank c's avatar.. It makes the ride from Congress to Stanton feel like bein' on freshly cured asphalt, lol.. The two guys in Hummers who blew by us at about 50 mph only added insult to injury too, I tell ya.. Next time out guess we'll need to stop by Homie's n borrow a couple hoverboards.. Drive right by his place, n figure he'll have a half-dozen or so built by then.. :4chsmu1:

Swamp

It was great meeting you and Desertpilot finally too. Glad I could help you get a better understanding of the area and find some gold.

We didn't leave empty handed yesterday either.

The one I found is on the left. Was in a dirtpile surrounded by trash. There was an old boot tack on top of it. After I recovered the tack I checked the hole again and had another signal which was the nugget.

Fishing8046 sniffed the two out on the right with his Gold Bug II closer to the wash. He's pretty darn good with that machine.

Will have to do some more hunts down there in the future!

IMG_4512.jpg

DOH!!!! Thats stupid crazy! ::::))))   Nice nuggets. Glad you scored and in a new area!  

Hats off to Tortuga for helping a fellow prospector. :yesss: Good on you and I hope you are rewarded with monster nugs in the future :4chsmu1:

Tom H.

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

It was great meeting you and Desertpilot finally too. Glad I could help you get a better understanding of the area and find some gold.

The one I found is on the left. Was in a dirtpile surrounded by trash. There was an old boot tack on top of it. After I recovered the tack I checked the hole again and had another signal which was the nugget.

Fishing8046 sniffed the two out on the right with his Gold Bug II closer to the wash. He's pretty darn good with that machine.

IMG_4512.jpg

Thats sweet, a boot tack on top. :)  I found a 1 grammer like that at Lynx. Had a bullet on top of it!

Glad you guys scored.:yesss:
Tom H.

2 hours ago, fishing8046 said:

Thanks Tortuga for setting it up, I truly appreciated the knowledge that everyone took the time share.  I think I want a PI Detector....Oh and a 4 wheel drive....

Thanks

Bob

Haha that might help in more ways than one. 

Whenever I go to upgrade it tend to sell off my old detector first and anything else that isn't nailed down around the house.

If you keep your eyes on eBay I'm sure you could find a deal on a used GP or GPX series Minelab PI. 

Tortuga thanks for the invite it was cool to meet up with you guys. I learned allot and hope to step up my detector game. 

Fishing it was amazing to see you pull gold out of a spot I didn't think would have gold. 

Luke you killed it on your first trip to Greaterville. You definitely have your machine dialed in, I was impressed.

hope to see you all in the goldfields again.

DP

Thanks for the support guys.  :D

Yeah Shay... :4chsmu1:  Upgrading my detector has certainly changed some things for me.  I recently found a spot in the Bradshaws where I've been able to get a lot of practice digging faint signals that turn out to be nuggets and that experience has helped to increase my skill level quite a bit.

Swamp:   I know what you mean about that washboard road.  I find that leaning on the gas pedal seems to smooth things out, or the truck is just touching the ground less.... :ROFL:  Having E-rated tires on a lightweight truck makes it extra rough.  I'm going down a rating next time I get a new set of tires.  The road that goes directly to Greaterville (Hwy 62) was a bit better and I saw a 'herd' of wild turkeys on Saturday morning when I went in that way.  They were through the fence and gone in the tall grass before I could get a picture.

21 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Chris:  That's so awesome you guys were able to find a few nugs after I had to go.  I love finding the gold, but it sure makes it even better when everyone gets to share in the fun.  Congrats to you guys !!   Like Desertpilot said, Thanks for setting up the meeting.  We definitely will get together for another hunt in the future.  Either down there, or if any of you guys are going to head up this way....

Take it easy.   :thumbsupanim

Luke

Nice going Luke!  Sorry I couldnt make it down to meet up with you guys, had the family in town, next time for sure...    Nice to see you scored some gold on your first trip down there, congrats!  Iv been skunked the last few times there so its nice to see someones finding something!   

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to say it but Microsniper and I visited the spot again last week and somebody went in there and ripped it up pretty good. There was one real deep hole in the bedrock under a big boulder that we never moved. Guess somebody moved the boulder and hit a deep nugget under it.

I combed through a lot more trash over by where I found my dink and wasn't able to come up with anymore nuggets. I had a good weekend up north tho :4chsmu1:

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Hate to say it but Microsniper and I visited the spot again last week and somebody went in there and ripped it up pretty good...

I don't think there's anything that gets to me more than someone who's 'too busy' and 'self-important' to bother filling in his holes / cleaning up his mess.. Just shows a total lack of respect for other prospectors, as well as Mother Earth..

Swamp

I hate it when that happens!

Guess others hate it when they come in after me also.

Srry to hear about the spot, You guys will find others.

Ive been into some spots like that and found some yellow, Ill see  a lot of shallow dig holes and realize it was a VLF. Thats

were the minelab comes in handy :)

Also been back to some of my really good spots from a few years ago that I got ounces out of and see dig holes. I think to myself  "they got here a little too late" :) Hope they at least got one I missed though.
GL to ya

Tom H.

I was just looking at my Gville pics last night.  Looking forward to going back again....

Well, not all is lost.  The road did go in there which means that at least one other person knows about that area.

If they spent all their time moving the boulder and digging in the bedrock, maybe when it was all said and done they didn't get enough gold to warrant the effort.

All I know is, "No one gets it all..."   :brows:

There's more, we'll just have to work a little harder next time around.

Congrats on 'up north'...  Tortuga !!  :D

Luke

7 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Hate to say it but Microsniper and I visited the spot again last week and somebody went in there and ripped it up pretty good. There was one real deep hole in the bedrock under a big boulder that we never moved. Guess somebody moved the boulder and hit a deep nugget under it.

I combed through a lot more trash over by where I found my dink and wasn't able to come up with anymore nuggets. I had a good weekend up north tho :4chsmu1:

Sorry to hear that Tortuga. I have been there before (not actually there I am in NorCal) and it is not fun to arrive to a patch to see it all dug up, especially a hole deep down to the bedrock. Sometimes $hit happens and hope you guys get onto another spot sooner than later. Good luck to you guys.

This is a picture of the gold I found at that patch a long time ago. Worked this patch methodically from bottom to top digging every target, marking the gold targets up the ravine as the fan narrowed. Went out of town for a week. Returned only to find holes everywhere. It is very discouraging and disappointing and really hurts, especially on a private claim. There was one hole at the upper end of the patch at the deepest spot that I was working up to. It was 3 feet deep and right in the gut. Probably better not knowing what the thief found. He is no longer on this earth and god bless his soul.

Ravine Patch.JPG

Yeah, that's some nice stuff, Matt !!  :thumbsupanim

Tortuga and Matt know G'ville it seems.  Great gold shown here.

I've been there 3 times and 3 times a skunk.  I don't understand it even after seeing where big gold was found.  I could go back in Feb but ...

Mitch go in February. I don't know how good the ground is by the Toad but the surrounding 50/50 land is good. As always it's just a very tough hunt down there. I've been skunked many, many times but sometimes I'm rewarded well.

Archived