Nugget Shooter Forums

LSD Outing....

Uncle Ron

How's the crew developing out there?  Dodacious and I will see you manana .... Bringing a yummy pasta chicken concoction she's cooking up ... Cheers, Unc

I'm glad I got to stop by and meet a few of you for a little.  I'm looking forward to the outing in March and hope that I won't have to work like I did for this one so I can go camping.

I think that more folks come than sign up on the head count post.  It's a shame that you didn't get any of that fine Brisket you cooked Bill.  I got a little of the end slice and I'm with Mike Furness it's the best part.  We need folks to sign up so that we can get the right amount of meat to go around for all.  :thumbsupanim

Old Tom

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

Smaller Dave :ROFL: I never even got a bite of brisket....

It was smaller when I wrote that...It's amazing how many people materialize around supper time when Bill smokes a brisket! If Kevin hadn't traded me for a chicken leg, I wouldn't have got a taste either.

Edited by ArcticDave

On 11/15/2016 at 11:00 PM, Old Tom said:

I think that more folks come than sign up on the head count post.  It's a shame that you didn't get any of that fine Brisket you cooked Bill.  I got a little of the end slice and I'm with Mike Furness it's the best part.  We need folks to sign up so that we can get the right amount of meat to go around for all.  :thumbsupanim

Old Tom

I agree, Ol' Tom.. I also think the expense for it should be shared..

The first thing y'all gotta remember is we're talking brisket here, so the ol' caterer's rule of 4 oz. = a portion needs to be tossed aside like a nug of leverite.. The hongry-but-restrained prospectors portion is closer to 14 oz. per when X-sliced properly like in the pix.. The only way around that is to pull-and-prepare for BBQ sannies (or sammies if you prefer..) While doing this will drop the portion to approx 6 oz. per, it doesn't change the cost per -- since you now have to factor in the sauce and large buns..

The next thing is brisket as a smoked / BBQd nationwide taste sensation was relatively unheard of up until around ten years ago.. About the only places you could get a brisket sandwich of any kind besides Jewish-style deli's was in south-central US -- Texas, Missouri, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida panhandle and surrounding border states.. Today you can find brisket nearly everywhere.. Why..? Well, my take on it is that if you could even find beef BBQ it would be eye of round if sliced, top or bottom round if shredded & sauced.. Not that there's anything wrong with these cuts -- they just aren't brisket, and nothing you can do to them will make 'em taste like brisket.. Brisket is it's own unique thing ( taste / flavor -wise ), and when smoked or BBQd only has slight similarities to itself when set up to be cooked as corned beef.. Both delicious while being nearly completely different.. The USA has declared it a winner..!

The last of the Big Three has to do with butcher's greed.. Let's make that Big Biz greed; the butcher is merely incidental in most cases.. Used to be they couldn't give brisket away.. Very seldom could you even find it out in the coolers, you needed to ask if they had any in the back.. And when you got it it was always perfectly trimmed -- just a thin 1/4" line across the bottom to protect & melt during cooking.. Today..? Forget about that..! 20% fat across the top now too, if you're lucky.. And there's no sending it back into the back to be trimmed properly then re-weighed because everything now comes into the stores boxed, packaged and weighed.. Yeah, they 'might' re-trim it properly for you if you ask, but you'll still be buying the scrap.. It's gotten so bad around here that if I'm wanting to cook up a 'regular' wet brisket I find myself buying london broil instead.. No it doesn't taste the same, but it is good.. It's trimmed the same way brisket (flat cut) should be, cooks the same as brisket -- and in today's market is less expensive as well.. Also, after initial refrigeration it slices great for sammiches..

Point being is brisket is no longer one of the cheapest cuts of beef not even bothered to be displayed in the case and known to only bubbies who knew proper cooking techniques but rather is now one of the most expensive non-steak beef cuts out there.. I therefore, IMHO, think it all well and proper for those wanting the tradition of brisket to continue at the outings also share in the small-when-combined expense to have it do so.. Bill shouldn't need to be shouldering nearly $200 worth of beef, plus prep time & expense, on his own.. Properly preparing a brisket is a far cry from picking up a large bag of chips or whipping together a jell-o salad..

Swamp

• Like 4

Man Swamp, you sure can write.  I read only the first 3 lines and faded away to brisket land. :th:ha..ha... just joking with you Swamp.

Edited by Andyy
  • Like 2