Nugget Shooter Forums

Headphone Specs

Morlock

We all know good headphones may make the difference between hearing a nugget or not hearing one 

Exactly what are the critical specifications that determine whether you have a pair of excellent headphones or just so-so headphones.

Would the specifications change based on the type of detector you use? ie.  PI..   VLF..VHF..

One important factor is your ability to hear any given sound and discern a signal from ambient and background noise. Using headphones that are the correct impedance as suggested by the manufacturer is wise. However, if you use an enhancer of any type the matching becomes less important.

First be sure you can actually hear in the detector signal range.

second find the best tone for your hearing

third find the headphones that give you the best comfort and signal for you...

most important, pay attention...if your head is anywhere besides one with the detector you will miss signals.

Edited by fredmason
  • Like 2

One important factor for me when choosing headphones, is the "tone breaks" of the sounds, or the "pitch." As an aging Army artilleryman, my hearing ain't what it once was and these days I hear mid- and high- tones better than low-tones. For that reason I use Killer B Optima's, rather than Grey Ghost headphones. It is always great when you live near a dealer like Bill, and can listen to signals through these different headsets. It really does matter as you get more time on your machine. after say, 500-hours on the headphones, you hear signals you never would have been able to decipher 200-hours earlier. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2016 at 2:52 PM, Terry Soloman said:

One important factor for me when choosing headphones, is the "tone breaks" of the sounds, or the "pitch." As an aging Army artilleryman, my hearing ain't what it once was and these days I hear mid- and high- tones better than low-tones. For that reason I use Killer B Optima's, rather than Grey Ghost headphones. It is always great when you live near a dealer like Bill, and can listen to signals through these different headsets. It really does matter as you get more time on your machine. after say, 500-hours on the headphones, you hear signals you never would have been able to decipher 200-hours earlier. 

You know I've never tried Killer B Optima's before, kinda forgot about them. My dad was a medic in an artillery unit in Vietnam and has similar hearing loss, the low tones are gone. He always thought it was because of the guns but it's a genetic condition and now I'm starting to get it too. It sucks because most people lose their hearing in the high and mid tone range so most of the hearing aids out there are made to correct this. They don't make very many hearing aids to help with loss of low tones and my dad has always had a hard time finding ones that work.

I've had really good luck with Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones. They're built like a tank, the ear cuffs and headband are made of leather and I've beaten the hell out of them down here in the desert for the last 5 or 6 years and they just keep going. I bought a pair of Black Widows to try them out and they seems like they'd be good for guys with big ears because they're pretty large. The ear cuffs and headband are vinyl on them. While I found on the highest setting the Black Widows were noticeably louder than my Sun Rays, I felt the audio quality and tone was better on the Sun Rays. I think they just use a little better speakers in them. The Black Widows were kinda annoying because the volume adjustment pretty much went from quiet to super loud, there wasn't much fine tuning.

I think I'll pick up a pair of Killer B Optima's tho just to try them out. I always like testing out new prospecting gear.

• Like 2

SunRay Pros for me.....I have a pair of Killer B Optimas...they are good, but not built like the Sun Ray Pros...I have been using the Old version of SunRays for three years now...snagged them on Manzanita branches..stretched the heck out of them, dropped them..stepped on them and they keep on ticking with the same quality sound. The Killer B phones are a spare ...just in case. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Relichunter2016 said:

SunRay Pros for me.....I have a pair of Killer B Optimas...they are good, but not built like the Sun Ray Pros...I have been using the Old version of SunRays for three years now...snagged them on Manzanita branches..stretched the heck out of them, dropped them..stepped on them and they keep on ticking with the same quality sound. The Killer B phones are a spare ...just in case. 

Because you have both the Sun Rays and Killer B's can you comment any further on their similarities?

I was looking at the Killer B website for awhile last night reading about all the different models. They look very similar to the Sun Rays in design and materials.

However if you're saying you prefer the Sun Rays I'd be curious to hear more about why that is.

Hey Tortuga,

For me, the Rays seem to be able to absorb the high pitch sound and the target sound seems more of a low tone. If that makes any sense...the target signal is more comfortable especially when I am over a large iron target. But remember everyone's hearing is different. But like I said, I like the Rays because they are tough and take a beating...the audio is second to that. I have been told that SunRay Pros use a quality driver in its headphones producing better audio sound.

Edited by Relichunter2016

Ok thanks for the response. I Iike them a lot too and have found a lot of gold with them. 

Seems the switch on the side always gets flipped on them tho so I gotta fiddle with that and the audio limiter switch has no effect on the GPZ. I seem to remember it working on the GPX tho. One of the Killer B models has lockable switches so that looked kinda nice.

And I also honestly don't need dual volume knobs for both ears, I run both cranked up all the way so that's why the Killer B Optimas looked interesting to me with the single audio knob. One less thing to fiddle with. 

My headphones take a beating, so I like something I can take apart at the headphone jack and solder the connections myself.  I broke the jack a few months after getting my headphones, resoldered it and four years later they still work fine.  I've seen a couple of newer headphone sets that you can't just unscrew the jack anymore to do this.

Also, something that I can take off one ear partially and wear a while so I can hear the rattlesnakes.

No one mentions using the correct impedance head phones for your specific detector.   Not like one size fits all. 

A good bit on the subject.  http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/archive/index.php/t-23859.html

Edited by homefire
Added Info

• 2 weeks later...

This thread was originally talking about which headphones to get as far as specifications but as we get more and more sick with Gold Fever, we spend more and more money on "stuff".  Along with specifications, I think its smart to find something comfortable, won't get us in trouble with the spouse, and most importantly works for the individual.  Last summer I did research on going wireless.  I was a bit worried about having a latency issue but the manufacture I purchased has so little latency that its not noticeable by the human ear.  What this does is create a condition where your not strapped to your beeper.  I used to beat my machine up every time I set it down to dig a target, dragging the beeper by the chord...not any more!  Not only that, I can use virtually any kind of headphone I want.  I'm just like many of us in that I have damaged hearing due to loud machinery.  In fact, my right ear has a severe hearing deficiency and both ears have tinnitus.  I personally like the Eagle headphones specifically because they have individual ear volume control and can switch between mono or stereo.  Like Bill said, "each individual must decide" what is best for them.

Deteknix Wireless Conversion kit.

Eagle Headphones...I believe Black Widow is similar