Nugget Shooter Forums

a little patience and working the edges... (with the SDC)

microsniper

Been out the last couple weeks after being gone all summer working up north, so good to be back and getting out there again in this beautiful weather!

So I was out last week showing a friend how to use the detectors  (sdc/2300)  we were standing on a recently cleared off patch of bedrock... and I was demonstrating the sweep speed and sounds of the sdc and literally where I was standing I got a wee-ooo and proceeded to "demonstrate" how to locate the target....  and then proceeded to pull out a half gram nuggie! (4th from left)   He was like "cool man.. ok, looks easy!"  I couldnt believe it.....and had to explain how it doesnt happen like that.... normally!    

Anyway, no more for that day, as I scoured the area several times with no more luck...  I went back a few days later and headed up the drainage, way way up farther than iv been before.  I have been up in the same area and have only found the tiniest micro pieces while panning in the very rare times there has been water.     Well I saw what looked like a little sample  scrape, and some rocks moved and began there...   two seconds later out comes a nice one gram piece..   and two steps away, another lil piece.. and then another five feet away...   Well how about that?!   I went back again and further up and pulled out a few more nice pieces.  Holy crap... (eyebrows lifted) so far 9 lil guys from a spot I just had no confidence in....

My view and understanding of the entire area just expanded and I realized that for the last couple of years Iv been looking at this whole drainage in a very wrong and limited way,  and now Im excited to use this new info to explore around the edges of the edges.   Also another thing that i was wrong about was my thinking that tons of people Must have pounded the whole area already... even if they did they didnt do it slow enough!      

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 11

Awesome !!

Great story and "lessons".    :idea:

Those are some nice, buttery chunks of gold.

Sounds like you've been having some similar luck with your detector.   :thumbsupanim

Gotta love it when you prove yourself wrong and get a nice yellow reward.

I hope your streak continues....

Luke

• Like 1

Great finds..! :yesss: It's a wonderful feeling when ya realize you've been looking at a drainage all wrong and begin making nice finds out past the edges where hopefully few others have detected since there couldn't possibly be any nuggies that far off the 'beaten path'..

Swamp

• Like 2

I think that has happened to many of us...I know I've had areas I wrote off then went back a few years later and pulled out a bunch of nuggets, all the way up to a half ounce in size!...Contrats on those beauties ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

22 hours ago, microsniper said:

...Well I saw what looked like a little sample  scrape, and some rocks moved and began there...   two seconds later out comes a nice one gram piece..   and two steps away, another lil piece.. and then another five feet away...  

I forgot to mention taking a look at what set this whole process in motion: How another's sample scrape and a few moved rocks not only put you on the gold but also has you now looking in an entirely different way at an area you previously thought you knew and understood..

Very nice of him, leaving you three nice nuggies within seven feet of each other.. Makes me wonder what he was detecting with? -- a fishing pole or tripod..? I have to go with fishing pole, as I'm pretty sure the tripod would have hit on them..:4chsmu1:

Swamp

• Like 1

Very nice line-up microsniper.  Funny how a lot of gold we find on accident can make us better gold hunters.  So by accident ... we become smarter.  I'm not smart enough to explain that :arrowheadsmiley:

• Like 5