Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Racer nuggets

LukeJ

Hey everyone !!

I managed to sneak out today for a quick trip to a little spot I found recently.  The last few months swinging the SDC have been awesome but I wanted to do something different today.  I decided today would be the day I find my first gold with a VLF.  I knew there was gold in the ground, I just had to hear it.   :head:   :idea:

When I first got to the spot, I shoveled some overburden out of an area and dug up a few birdshot.  It was a good start, but not what I was there for.  So I went over to some exposed bedrock and after 30 minutes or so, I locked onto a faint 'crackle' in the threshold.  I had to use my screwdriver to loosen the bedrock and low and behold.....  My first Gold Racer nugget.   :yesss: 

Once I realized what I was supposed to be listening for, I found another flat nugget a few feet away.  Then after exploring farther upstream, I returned to the spot and managed one more little guy before it was time to head out.

One important thing I learned today was to keep the sensitivity down.  The GR goes up to '99', but I was running at 47.  This was a first for me and now I know I've been running too 'hot' in the past and could explain why I wasn't successful before.

I think I've turned the page to a new chapter.....

Thanks for all the previously given advice, especially some choice 'nuggets' that were mentioned, going all the way back to my first post on this forum.

:thumbsupanim

Luke

20161021_114757.jpg

20161021_120155.jpg

20161021_131206.jpg

20161021_131907 (2).jpg

Hi first of all WTG on the gold :head: I have a goldracer to and found gold with it on the first and only trip out with it-Im spoiled with the 5K nothing else compares-great beeper for a vlf  :thumbsupanim Is that the stock coil or the small one-Ive been thinking about getting a small one-Mike C...:200:

Thanks Mike.  Yes, it's the small one.  Seems I beat you to it a few weeks back....   Picked it up for $60 from Don71 on Steve's forum....

Sorry about that.   :4chsmu1:

It's a good coil, you should get one.   :brows:

Luke

Great job with the vlf.....I cant seem to get a hang of it detecting with a vlf..since I bought my 4500 3 years ago. Tried a few times and after 20 minutes went back to M/L. But as I say that, there was a time years ago when I had my first gold detector a Whites GM2..and did just fine with it on the gold. The GoldRacer seems like a great machine...congrats on the nuggets....you just motivated me to take the old GB Pro out again....:head:..Thanks for sharing.....Good Hunting Luke.

17 minutes ago, azdigger said:

nice, inspires me to find some with my "new GM2.

WTG on them nuggies.

Thank you azdigger.  Good luck with your 'new' machine !!

Based on what I learned today, I'm starting to think I may dust off the ol' GM V/Sat and give her a swing.

The 4x6 Shooter coil is also a great coil.  I think you will like it.  :D

Thanks Rh2016.  I know what you mean with...  "tried it a few times and then went back to Minelab..."   I left the SDC at home today so as to 'force' myself to stick with the GR.  I'm glad I did.

Luke

Great Luke, Pretty soon the newbies will be coming to you for advise and 'Where do I go'? 

Old Tom

24 minutes ago, Old Tom said:

Great Luke, Pretty soon the newbies will be coming to you for advise and 'Where do I go'? 

Old Tom

I still consider myself to be a 'noobie'.   :idunno:

One thing I would tell them though....  Join a prospecting club.  GPAA is a good place to start and there are several other local clubs where interested parties could meet other knowledgeable prospectors.  Other than that, Persistence and Perseverance. Low and Slow.  Never give up.

....and if you think you're going to cover the expense of your gear with gold you'll find.  Good luck   :ROFL:

Luke

Way cool, Luke.  Now you can can have a detector on each arm!!  Just imagine the gold you could have rolling in ... ha..ha..   

By the way, Luke, a noobie wouldn't shovel overburden from a good spot.  Sorry secret's out.  :arrowheadsmiley:

Way to go Luke!  Rick, I've always had a spot in my heart for the GM2...When I got my first one, on my very first swing (that's literally one swing to the left)  I hit a 1 DWT solid nugget!  That was out at Vulture Red Basin.  That was a fun place back then with a GM2 and a GB2!  Keep on it Luke!  Cheers, Unc

Archived