Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Relichunter2016

Commander coil 11"Mono Round

So like many of us using the Minelab gpx detectors have tried out many coils and brands...I have been using the Commander 11" Mono on my 4500 for the past 2 months. This little coil blew my mind today at its ability to detect small nuggets  at depth. I went into an old patch and set the gain at 14 rather than 13 I usually set it at. The threshold pretty stable with an occasional EMi blast here and there but not enough to miss those deep small targets. I dug 5 nuggets ranging from .13 grams @ around 3 inches..and the rest .27 to .85 gram pieces also at very good depth. Why am I making this point ?:idunno:Perhaps just a reminder to myself that the old coils especially the 11" Mono Commander is one HELL of a coil with the right settings and slow swing. 

todays 5.jpg

When you know there's gold in the ground and you're confident in your machine....

The results speak for themselves.   :thumbsupanim

Nice gold.  WTG !!

Luke

Nice work Relichunter.  It is my belief that the 4500 is a little better than the 5000 on the really small gold.  Just my opinion, though many will disagree.  But you have some nice larger ones there too!  Beautiful.

LukeJ,

That's true...once you find a patch you can bet regardless of how hard you think you worked it, there is more ..maybe deeper and smaller but its there.  

Andyy,

Thanks, I know a few folks who sold their 5000 and went back to the 4500...Been using mine for about 3.5 years and I am still amazed how it picks up small bits, the key really is slowing it way down and listening very, very carefully. I hesitate at times to even state the depth I get on some tid-bits lately as I  may be accused of exaggerating..or being nuts :arrowheadsmiley:....... 

18 hours ago, Relichunter2016 said:

So like many of us using the Minelab gpx detectors have tried out many coils and brands...I have been using the Commander 11" Mono on my 4500 for the past 2 months...

Not having the good fortune of living in the part of the country y'all do, mid through upper end PIs are far from the machine of choice for most applications / situations (there are exceptions, Au nugs being extremely fringe in that dep't..) this side of the Mississippi.. However, simply by virtue of reading through various prospecting chat sites it is impossible to miss the amount of ink generated by Minelab gpx series detectors paired with Commander mono coils.. One will see 14" and even 17" mentioned re 'surprising' small nug finds.. Far and away though the 11" coupled with a gpx detector appears to be a magical combination.. It isn't often one can get dual usage out of a particular setup without changing a thing..

Swamp

Sure is a magical combo.....with the right settings and proper speed...may just have to get a spare....just in case the one I have goes Kaput...:head:

22 hours ago, Relichunter2016 said:

Sure is a magical combo.....with the right settings and proper speed...may just have to get a spare....just in case the one I have goes Kaput...:head:

Well, I've bought parts motorcycles in the past.. A couple were still running and rideable when I got 'em, so I did.. No one questions someone having two of the same vehicles.. As a result I tend to look askew, askance actually, at anyone who asks a person why he has two of the same (older) detectors..

Swamp

There are good reasons why Minelab pairs that size and type coil with their machines...too many people want to skip past the MInelab reccomendations  and jump to the many Pro settings/equipments that get posted...read the manual and try it their way first!

The prices of used Minelab Pi's are really great for those that want an extra for back-up or whatever.

fred