Nugget Shooter Forums

My rear end hurts!

TomH

Well, it will be a week or so till we can detect again. Kept having a odd noise in the rear end of the YOTO so I decided to take it apart this weekend.

Front pinion bearing was wearing pretty bad. Arctic Dave has been helping me as for what to do.

Replaced/replacing axle bearings/seal, all bearings in 3rd member and the spider gears. The ring and pinion looks pretty good according to Dave.  Someone swaped that before I got it.

Always something!:2mo5pow: But, at least it will be ready for detecting season :yesss:

About 300 in parts, but still a lot cheaper than having a shop do it.

Tom

DSC02872.JPG

DSC02873.JPG

• Like 6

I'm with AuSeeker.  Thought you may have been jumped by some escaped inmates or something.  :laught16:   Or maybe you grabbed some prospecting burritos at Filiberto's and they didn't treat you well ........

I could go on and on ...

Glad you're ok.

• Like 5

Tom,

When I first read your title, I thought you fell backwards on some cholla.  :2mo5pow:

After you're done with your yota's butt job, should be good for many more adventures. Those are some cheap mules to keep. Seem to last forever.    Jim

Nice work Tom    :thumbsupanim

Should be good for another million miles....

Tom

make sure you properly shim the new spider gears. very important.

Nice of cowkiller to offer some new/used parts. :thumbsupanim

AzNuggetBob

• Like 4

Bob:
  Arctic Dave is helping me on this. He rebuilt trans/rear ends for 20 yrs. 

Hes going to do the shimming and backlash.

Will be calling Justin today. :)
Tom H. 

• Like 4

Old Toyotas never die, just their owners. That title sure fooled me as I thought you had gotten a divorce aka walletectomy royale. That sweet old chariot will rise from the ashes and carry you on to riches forevermore. John

on the road again.jpg

• Like 4

Looks like fun! My first thought with that title was you went dirtbike riding again!!:ROFL: Hope you get that Yota back up quick so as not to miss any good prospecting days.

Dave,

When you take those ring and pinions apart to reuse do you mark which teeth meshed so they can go back together the same, then set your lash and shims to the new bearings? I've been told reused and reset gears will whine pretty loud if they can't be set perfectly back to where they were. Maybe I can talk you into helping me with my Solid axle Dana 44 gears, I just picked up a dial torque wrench to set the pinion load and have a dial indicator to set the lash a shop press for the bearings and just need the bearing puller for doing the shims over and over till its right. Anything else I might need you can think of?

I have pullers Shay. 

The teeth are not timed in any way shape or fashion. No need to mark anything. 

There will be a pattern on used gears that it would behoove you to match as close as possible. Else it will howl like an ally cat. You should be able to observe a contact zone on the ring gear teeth. It will be shiny :200: and SHOULD be more or less centered with a slight bias toward the toe of the gear tooth. The idea is to try and maintain a consistant pinion depth when rebuilding it. A lot of times the same shim pack thickness will get you close. After that the backlash needs be brought into spec. The Toyota is super easy with threaded bearing adjusters. I think your D44 will require shims on either side of the carrier bearings to determine backlash. I generally shoot for around 10 thousandths depending on application. 

PM me if you need help. 

• Like 3