Nugget Shooter Forums
LukeJ

My 1st dink patch.

Hey everyone !!

Just though I'd make a post and give a bit of an update on how things are going with the SDC.    :D

Several weeks back I was hunting a 'known' area and stumbled onto this patch.  I've now been to this spot five times, three of which, I've scored some gold.  No doubt, there's more there.

Here's a picture of the nine I've recovered so far....

The first one, 'Droopy', is at the 12 o'clock position.  I found 'Droopy' after walking up and over the bedrock pictured in the other photo.  Before I stepped down, I put my coil down where my foot was going to go and got a loud signal.  I got down, turned around, and did a boot scrape.  The target moved...  Oh, great more trash...  it's going to be that kind of day. 

I never mind being wrong when there's gold in the scoop.  It was right on the surface.   :arrowheadsmiley: 

The second, in the 2 o'clock position, was found the same day, thirty feet uphill.  Again, moved with the first boot scrape and not more than an inch deep.

Number 3 was extracted from the bedrock (pictured) with a hammer and chisel.  I found the target on the first day, but after digging at it for awhile, I decided to cover it up and leave it for when I was better prepared.  The next time out, I made sure I had the right tools and thankfully it turned out to be another piece of gold....   and the birth of my 1st dink patch.

A couple weeks later,  I went out there, skunked.   :idunno:

A week or two after that, I got out early one morning and it was real quiet and the machine was very stable.  I hunted for an hour before I investigated an 'iffy' sound and discovered the first nugget of the day.  Then I got another, and another, and one more.....  The smallest (in size) I'd ever found.  Four nuggets between 8 and 9 in the morning.  They were all in decaying bedrock not more than an inch deep.   It was looking like a record breaking day.  I poked around there for several more hours and nothing else.  I can't complain though.   :4chsmu1:

Yesterday, I started out in another area, 30 miles away.  Spent the morning there, did a lot of hiking.  I was starting to smell a skunk. 

After lunch, I decided to take a drive up and visit my new dink patch.  I had hunted this area four times now, two with gold, two without.  My plan was to go slow and investigate faint sounds. 

Not long after starting to hunt, I got my first piece for the day.  (9 o'clock pos.)  The hole it came out of was fairly large, but I did throw out a couple hot rocks along the way.  I may have detected the hot rocks but ended up with some gold when it was all said and done.  After that, I really took my time in that immediate vicinity.  I moved small areas of surface rocks with my shoe and slowly detected each spot before moving to the next.  Six or seven 'spots' later, and I got a loudish signal.  This one, 10 o'clock, Mr Chunky, was adjacent to a small plant.  It surprised me when I heard it because I knew I had 'carefully' detected this spot on one of the previous outings.  Because of it's 'spongy' composure, it doesn't start to sound off until the coil is fairly close.  I guess the previous time I may have lifted the coil up a bit to clear the plant and I missed it....   But I got it now..... :yesss:

...and next time I'm going back with a rake.

Good Luck to you all and Happy Hunting !!    :thumbsupanim

Luke

Dink Patch 9.jpg

IMG_0115.JPG

• Like 10

I don't remember sending you that dime.. :4chsmu1:

Nice shootin' & kewl story, Luke.. :yesss:

Swamp

• Like 2

Nice work. I don't get to hunt bedrock often but it can provide some interesting challenges. Gotta have to the right tools sometimes. 

• Like 1

That is so cool that you continue to get nugs out of that area. :)

Nice work!
Tom H.

• Like 1

There's not going to be any bedrock left by the time Luke gets finished.  Just a pile of sand ...:desertsmile:

• Like 5

You say that you might have detected those hot rocks, naw your ear is finally getting in tune with your machine.  You knew that there was something there but it just wasn't quite the right signal.  You will find more when you finally fine tune your ear to all those faint signals that your particular machine produces.  Great story and good looking gold Bro. 

Old Tom

• Like 4

Do you still have every piece and every location pegged in your memory, Luke?  Ha...Ha.  Not a chance.  Just a golden blurrr by now :)

Great read and great finds, salute and the 2300 is a killer little beeper and everyone I have sold one to over the last couple years has scored gold with it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

I don't remember sending you that dime.. :4chsmu1:

I actually found that dime out in the desert...  it was laying right on top.  Could have been there for 25 years.....  :brows:

I do like hunting the bedrock and the 2300 sure makes it nice...   :head:

5 hours ago, Andyy said:

Do you still have every piece and every location pegged in your memory, Luke?  Ha...Ha.  Not a chance.  Just a golden blurrr by now :)

Locations, Yes.  The smaller nuggets are starting to look a little more similar though....  :cry2:  A terrible problem to have....  :4chsmu1:

Thank you everyone.  It sure is a pleasure to dig up a little gold from time to time

:D

Luke

WTG Luke
Nice finds and a great story too. It's a learning process and it sounds like your catching on. :brows:

good luck on more.:thumbsupanim
 AzNuggetbob

• Like 1

:goodpost:Great gold. Thanks for the play by play story. Love hearing about the successes. Now you might try changing up your coils to seek the deeper targets. Slow and steady wins the race, or so I've been told. Lots of luck to you on your next patch visits. Do a thorough search of the surrounding area, you my be surprised. If you can search the other side of the hills in that area, do it.

Shoot'em high and shoot'em low, because you just never know.:cowboypistol:

• Like 1

So....    :4chsmu1:

Today I was able to take my six year old son out to the spot.  He's been out of school for 'fall break' this week, and has been excited about going to "find some gold with Daddy" since I mentioned it to him on Monday.  I also brought the rake.....

I raked a few areas and picked up a couple birdshot and a blister on the soft area between my thumb and fingers.  Each time I detected a target, I had him put on the headphones and then I would do the digging and target retrieval and he would tell me if it was in the scoop or not.  It was fun at first but after 5 or 6 trash targets he was losing interest ( he's 6, lol ).

We had about an hour left and I didn't want to rake anymore so I just started detecting for a bit.  Then I noticed this big flat rock.  I set the detector down and flipped it over.  Picked up the detector and just like you're hoping, I got a signal.  The right kind, not too loud, but not the birdshot sound either.  I called my son over and handed off the headphones.  Here's what we dug up.

Not sure it can get any better than this.   :yesss:

Luke

20161014_122719.jpg

20161014_122746_1.jpg

20161014_131521 (2).jpg

Edited by LukeJ
  • Like 7

Nice work man. I definitely have an appreciation for big rocks. People either skip swinging over them with their coil or the older technology didn't penetrate through them as well. Earlier in the year I dug a little nugget like that in a pounded patch that was under a big rock. Just made a weird, but repeatable, warble in the threshold of my GPZ so I dug the rock out and rolled it outta the hole and found a little nugget underneath. 

• Like 1

Luke, that's awesome, his first gold nugget :yesss:, you going to have to take him more often, soon he will be showing you how it's done!! :brows:

• Like 2

On 10/10/2016 at 8:00 PM, boulder dash said:

Dont ask me why that heading is in here???But, anyway. Thats so cool he was able to dig up some gold. Hes going to remember that :) Glad you got a nice patch :yesss:

Tom H.

• Like 2

Absolutely what it's all about..
Gonna be tough topping that one for sure..!

Swamp

• Like 1

Awesome, Luke! 

That will be your most memorable piece of gold ever. Thanks for passing the torch on to the next generation.

Dean

• Like 2