Nugget Shooter Forums

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

LOL,    When they ask Why build a Air Plane,    You get to look them in the eyes and just say,,,   BECAUSE IS CAN......Lol

Bad day got worse here yesterday.     My Zero is sick.     Spent most the day working on my Mitsubishi Zero. aKa Eclips. Had to pull the CV joint . Found I need ball joints, Tie Rod ends and Wheel bearing too. Getting to old for this chit. Boy did I sleep good.   Guess I can plan on doing the other side too.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could see that being mistaken for a home made IED.

Worked on the tail feathers today. I even got all the holes drilled straight! Made some brackets out aluminum angle. Brace wires will support the tail structure, and the elevators and rudder will hang

Done!

Posted Images

1 hour ago, homefire said:

LOL,    When they ask Why build a Air Plane,    You get to look them in the eyes and just say,,,   BECAUSE IS CAN......Lol

Bad day got worse here yesterday.     My Zero is sick.     Spent most the day working on my Mitsubishi Zero. aKa Eclips. Had to pull the CV joint . Found I need ball joints, Tie Rod ends and Wheel bearing too. Getting to old for this chit. Boy did I sleep good.   Guess I can plan on doing the other side too.  

At least you got a good nights sleep out of it! Saving up for the other side would be wise.  I had to buy the gf 2 new tires for her little truck this weekend. She had worn them bald,  as in drag slick bald! Cords worn through and sticking up all over the place...looked like a Bob Ross afro. There went 200 bucks of plane money. :2mo5pow:

Because I can...that's exactly the reason. The number of people willing to build their own aircraft has got to be a very small percentage of the population, but  almost anyone could do it if they wanted to. 

I was in a department store the other day and noticed they no longer carry balsa or even plastic model kits. When I was growing up there was an entire aisle devoted to them. I guess kids(and adults) are too busy staring at their phones to bother building anything anymore. 

Edited by ArcticDave
Spelling

{{{ I was in a department store the other day and noticed they no longer carry balsa or even plastic model kits. When I was growing up there was an entire aisle devoted to them. I guess kids(and adults) are too busy staring at their phones to bother building anything anymore.  }}}

Yep,  You can Forget Rocket Engines.   If they do have them there just the little AA or C size.    No more D and F.  Got's to make your own of those too. 

2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

I was in a department store the other day and noticed they no longer carry balsa or even plastic model kits. When I was growing up there was an entire aisle devoted to them. I guess kids(and adults) are too busy staring at their phones to bother building anything anymore. 

Balsa is expensive...if you guys find a good cheap source, give me a heads up...I love working with it...

LOL Last time I bought some you would think you was dealing with Black Walnut the stuff was so pricey. 

12 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

I think you can still find balsa kits and possibly just wood at a good hobby shop.

Wasn't Bob Ross the fella/artist that showed you how to paint Happy Trees on the PBS channel??

Finding a good hobby shop that isn't all RC stuff and drones is getting hard.

Yes it is, I haven't been to a good one for many years since I got out of RC car racing.

Is that kit a fly by string plane?

There are still good online hobby shops that carry most all you could want.

I think its a rubber band engine. Not sure if i'll fly it or just hang it from the ceiling. Looks like a fair bit of work to glue all the tiny little pieces. 

Amazon has a bunch of them or you can order directly from Guillow's themselves. Amazon is cheaper...

24 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

I think its a rubber band engine. Not sure if i'll fly it or just hang it from the ceiling. Looks like a fair bit of work to glue all the tiny little pieces. 

Amazon has a bunch of them or you can order directly from Guillow's themselves. Amazon is cheaper...

Now that I looked closer at the photo I see there's 3 options if you want it to fly, all I saw/focused on at my first quick glance was the gas engine depicted on the box.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

Now that I looked closer at the photo I see there's 3 options if you want it to fly, all I saw/focused on at my first quick glance was the gas engine depicted on the box.

Lol...you saw more than I did!

Got to work on the little bird today and got a lot accomplished. Center section in and all cabane struts fitted and tacked!

After I removed all the wood jigging I allowed myself a small victory dance...as that part was a PITA to get right :yesss:

IMAG0250.jpg

Edited by ArcticDave
Forgot pic...
  • Like 2

Calculate.    Weigh one stick of pipe and do the math on materials used.  That and your welds should get you within a lb or so.

HF

On 3/13/2017 at 3:23 PM, ArcticDave said:

Yep! That's the fellow. 

I just bought one of these for something to fiddle with after supper.

303lcBox.jpg

Thats all I had as a kid growing up. Dad wouldnt buy plastic models. Made me use me brain! Had some with .35 motors and steel control lines to fly them . They sure would pull!  Love the smell of wing dope in the morning :)
Tom

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TomH said:

Thats all I had as a kid growing up. Dad wouldnt buy plastic models. Made me use me brain! Had some with .35 motors and steel control lines to fly them . They sure would pull!  Love the smell of wing dope in the morning :)
Tom

I still have a ol Cox .049 in the Some Day Box waiting.  LOL   Can of fuel too if it's still ok.  

HF

• Like 1
4 hours ago, homefire said:

Guessing.  Control Linkage, Cables, Peddles, Yoke or stick 20lb  , Less   ????  

I think even less...maybe half? That stuff really don't weigh much. 3/32 cable I think. Control stick is aluminum, rudder pedals are steel, but only weigh 2-3 oz a piece. 

I'll weigh everything as it gets built. We'll have a better idea down the road a bit.

A ol Chines guy living next door got me into control line flying when I was about 11 I think.. Learned a lot off the man.

Edited by homefire

Yep, Any thing you can save weight on is a Plus Plus to get off the ground . Never mind make your limit. 254lb if I remember right.

Yep. We'll see how close I can get. 

My Grandpa had model planes and a toolbox full of the little engines. I got my finger whacked a few times starting the little things. I don't remember if he did the control line thing or not. I do remember him letting them just fly free. He had a big pasture out back though...those things can go a surprising distance :)