Nugget Shooter Forums

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

3 minutes ago, homefire said:

I flew from Deming to Wilcox one time. Close to 140 miles.  Had fuel stashed two locations between Deming and lordsburg.  Only needed one.  Fueled in Lordsburg rinky dink Air Port.  On to Road forks.  Fueled at the truck stop.  On to San Simon Az and fueled.  On to Wilcox and did it all over going home.  Started at sun up and got back just as the sun was setting. Got back in almost half the time it took me getting there .    Never got that adventurous again after that.  Had one of those Motorola 3 Watt bag phones in case I needed to yalp for help. 

HF

I bet that was fun. :D

I'm planning my fuel tank for 3 hours plus reserve. Cruise speed is around 60 mph per other builders. Provided I'm not bucking a headwind that could equal a 180 mile flight. 

I think my bladder would remind me of it's existence long before that!:25r30wi:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could see that being mistaken for a home made IED.

Worked on the tail feathers today. I even got all the holes drilled straight! Made some brackets out aluminum angle. Brace wires will support the tail structure, and the elevators and rudder will hang

Done!

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, weaver hillbille said:

Could you make it that far?

Probably have the wind with you, there, but against you on the return.  It's be fun swooping over Yarnell , going back ,to hit the( probable) thermal along the mtn  front/Yarnell Hill.

I think it'd be easy to find- just look for the big circle pivot pasture@ Hays Ranch rd( before Mtn Aire gas and trailer park) in Peeples valley and turn NW and aim just to the right of WEaver( 4 mile fly from there), hitting the slot in the western front( Poplar Creek drainage).  Or circle high and look for the MOnte Cristo scar.

Let me know when to send up the windsock:4chsmu1: and fueling station.

Your place is within easy reach Weav. Probably only a half hour flight from here. 

I'll look for a wind sock when I get up that way. Hopefully by fall this thing will be airworthy. 

Getting there I only averaged something like 25MPH.   Coming back I was zooming with a tail wind of like 15MPH.  Evey time I fueled I only had like a gal in the 5gal tank.  I did a bad thing and had two one gal cans tied down in front of my seat for back up. 

• Like 1
On 3/8/2017 at 6:58 AM, ArcticDave said:

Having extra fuel is just sound thinking. You never know :brows:

Back in the days when I was thinking about building one, I used to have a recurring dream, where I'd find myself flying over desert mountains en route to Las Vegas from Sacramento....I have no clue as to why Las Vegas was the destination. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Back in the days when I was thinking about building one, I used to have a recurring dream, where I'd find myself flying over desert mountains en route to Las Vegas from Sacramento....I have no clue as to why Las Vegas was the destination. 

I'm fairly sure the reason you recall having no clue as to why in the dream
was due to the plethora of possibilities once you got there.. :4chsmu1:

Swamp

4 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

I'm fairly sure the reason you recall having no clue as to why in the dream
was due to the plethora of possibilities once you got there.. :4chsmu1:

Swamp

My ex sister in law was living there...she was a looker too.

• Like 2
On 3/8/2017 at 6:45 AM, ArcticDave said:

Your place is within easy reach Weav. Probably only a half hour flight from here. 

I'll look for a wind sock when I get up that way. Hopefully by fall this thing will be airworthy. 

We''lll be  there in a month or two( weld faster), and probably back sometime in the Fall.  I don't know how long of a runway you'll need, but if you can cruise at 25/stall at 15mph, it probably doens't have to be that long- just clear on the approach and the sides.  To be realistic,it would probably be safer to land down on the road below as there are much better runouts and a few different choices,all within 1/4 mile or so..... BUt if the wind is out of the NW/SAnta Ana high pressure  conditions- you could land  into the wind on the top- maybe- or not- the takeoff would be challenging. We could always walk the plane down the road to an open stretch.

• Like 1

LOL,   Came close to that mistake a few times.  Getting down and in is one thing.  Getting back up another.  The book say something like 32 hundred feet but I was good with 15 on a calm day.  Obstacles  are the big issue.  Anything more then a ft high to the sides can bite. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, homefire said:

LOL,   Came close to that mistake a few times.  Getting down and in is one thing.  Getting back up another.  The book say something like 32 hundred feet but I was good with 15 on a calm day.  Obstacles  are the big issue.  Anything more then a ft high to the sides can bite. 

I would imagine wingspan would play a critical role in( narrow) runway  safety. THe road, er runway, is one roadgrader blade wide:4chsmu1: but there are some open streches with little along the sides to snag. I'll go to the begininning of this thread and find some specs on this mosquito.

• Like 1

I'm thinkin 24' wingspan, roughly, sound about  right?  That might be tight depending on the height of the wings above the landing gear.  Maybe 4'- 5'? Trees roadside would be a deal breaker, depending on how fast you can slow down, how  great your headwind/slow your approach speed.  If you can drop it at 15 mph with a 5-10 knot headwind, I would guess that 150' landing space might be doable.

Take off another story, of course.

YOu know, Dave, the mtn above the  DIxie QUeen scar has no trees on top and lots of openspace. THe 'road' up there also  is bounded by parcels- it doesn't serve just one  So, technically, it's a 'public' road within the  ranch... YOu could drop off that mtn in a hang glider easily, let alone a powered ultralight.

Always easier to say than do:4chsmu1:. I  will inquire   with the  movers and shakers to see about any potential CC&R hurdles.

If the regs on your end allow you to land on private dirt roads, your golden.

edit: the mover and shaker( lives in the house below when your looking north /down from on top of "DIxie QUeen" mtn said," just don't tell me about it".    House is for sale on 18 acres...993431.jpg

If the regs on your end allow you to land on private dirt roads, your golden.

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 1

I would think cellphone comm would work fine, at altitude, but maybe VHF walkie/talkies are better? as long as agreed upon channel is monitored.

• Like 1

I need 300ft to get in and out down here @ 2000' msl. Up at Weav's place the altitude is WAG @ 5-6000' msl I might need more like 800-1000'...less if the runway is pointed downhill. 

Wingspan is almost 27' with my folding wing mods and around 6' high. That stretch in the picture adjacent to the barn below the zigzag would be enough probably...except for the driveway arch decoration. That would pose a slight issue...

Cell should work at the altitudes I'd be flying at most of the time. I'm not sure I could hear anything or not though. At least not without some kind of headset/ mic arrangement. 

56 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

That stretch in the picture adjacent to the barn below the zigzag would be enough probably...except for the driveway arch decoration. That would pose a slight issue...

Weavr Pk is 6500'+, roughly ,2 miles distant, and our parcel @ 5000', so density altitude calc's come in to play.   Bring freeze dried water:4chsmu1:.

I don't think the cattle or the owner would oblige you, though, Dave, if you picked that spot.  Don't forget puncture vine( got a  tire plug repair kit?) I have one if this pipe dream ever  fruits, should you need one.  That's the prime "mover". He would shake if you landed there.

THere are some long  open stretches of fairly straight road south of the parcel( just south of ours )  that are better suited.

Just 100 yards to takeoff? That's amazing, DAve!.. On the appointed day, a  notification call prior to takeoff,, and then once you get here, circle overhead, and dip a wing in the direction of your chosen  landing area( once you see a confirming weaver wave from the ground) would help us to know where you were thinking of landing.

I'll take some measurements of some promising stretches of roadway and get back to you  in a few weeks with the results. It should be very doable.

Make sure to bring your inflatable rock pick.

• Like 1

Weav...Joe Spencer built a Legal Eagle and his gets off the runway in around 100 feet! He operates down around sea level though and that makes a big difference. With an engine of sufficient power...the Eagles are very STOL capable. 

I had no intention of setting down in that mans yard, short of an emergency. I just wanted to give an idea of needed space :brows:

It will get done eventually. I had to take a couple of days off from it. Building a jig to hold the cabin top in place while attaching the cabane struts has proven to be a PITA...

I got a better idea I may fiddle with today. 

I'm at 4400ft here .  Anything above 75 80F  became loose and sloppy.   Something else to think about. 

4 minutes ago, homefire said:

I'm at 4400ft here .  Anything above 75 80F  became loose and sloppy.   Something else to think about. 

Indeed!

I figured any flying in the summer would be an early morning affair. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Weav...Joe Spencer built a Legal Eagle and his gets off the runway in around 100 feet! He operates down around sea level though and that makes a big difference. With an engine of sufficient power...the Eagles are very STOL capable. 

I had no intention of setting down in that mans yard, short of an emergency. I just wanted to give an idea of needed space :brows:

Got it.. I was thinkin down the road to the west@ the west end of

W. Monte Cristo rd( runway #1 =500' callsign-36/18), before it bends to the NW /intersects with... 

W. Winchester rd( runway #3 =250'         "       11/29)  bounds the parcels to the south on the south side..

CAmp Cook Trail ( runway#2=600'          "      14/22) bounds the east side of  our parcel

Note:the mtn top strip is off the table as one owner owns several parcels  up there and the viewpoint to the overlook I took you to is the end of their "driveway".

To tow, do you hook up a trailerhitch adapter to the tailwheel and tow down the road bassackwards on the :old:DOT APPROVED:idunno: landing gear( after folding/securing the wings, of course)?

18 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

So, technically, it's a 'public' road within the  ranch...

:Just_Cuz_06:Er,  i mispoke,  the ranch is private, but of course chaperoned guests are welcome. I think it would be the 1st ultralight arrival, though. It would be simple enough for me to mark with ag lime the beginning and end of 11,14,18,22,29 and 36 once I  vet them.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, homefire said:

The "runways" under consideration are at 4800' and  shaded in the  early morning coolness. Winds are nil  then.

• Like 1

Shade is good but the temp issue is the Air gets thin at higher temps and higher altitude .  Prop has less to grab.  Lift and Control surfaces get less support from the thin air.  Take off take longer.   Landings Maneuvers   less controllable .   Higher Temps at Higher Altitudes = Bad Ju Ju.   

HF

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, homefire said:

Shade is good but the temp issue is the Air gets thin at higher temps and higher altitude .  Prop has less to grab.  Lift and Control surfaces get less support from the thin air.  Higher Temps at Higher Altitudes = Bad Ju Ju.   

HF

NO doubt. A  Santa Ana could be useful... 

I used to survey runways.  Before computers got tied in and just as lasers got added to the surveying equipment.

One thing to watch for is wing clearance to the left and right of the runway, which is probably a road.  Not just branches, but hills.  Also,  Obstacles at the end of the runway, not really good.  For example, a 20' tree at the end of the runway would chew up a couple hundred feet at least.  I don't know the specs for your A/C, but I've seen very few places to land in areas that prospecting would be good.  The vegetation even in the desert often grows too tall in the remote areas.  I don't think Mine Road in Wickenburg would be good, maybe Castle Hot Springs road would be.  Gold Basin would likely have some great areas.  The A/C I did this for were a bit larger and needed at least 3,000 feet of runway.

I remember someone planted a 20' tree on the edge of a runway after the survey was done.  I guess the tree looks good to someone in airport administration, but the pilots didn't like that very much.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

To tow, do you hook up a trailerhitch adapter to the tailwheel and tow down the road bassackwards on the :old:DOT APPROVED:idunno: landing gear( after folding/securing the wings, of course)?

pretty much! I will make a cradle for the tailwheel that slips into the receiver on the Jeep. I don't have to tow it far and no highway towing! I think an enclosed trailer would be safer for that. I just have to tow across the street and down a dirt road a mile to the airstrip. It's 2500 - 3000' long and flat as a pancake...they even salted it to keep the growth at bay. 

Chrisski, I would never set it down somewhere it wouldn't fit. Too much work will be, and already has been, put into the little bird to risk damage doing stupid $h*t :) As far as prospecting goes...I may at some point use it to mark locations to come back and check with a ground survey, but it's really not about that at all. This is about slow and simple flight that I built with my own hands. Any other uses are secondary.   :200: