Nugget Shooter Forums

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

9 hours ago, homefire said:

What did the engine come out to weight wise in the end Dave ?

About 95 lbs dry without the oil filter and hoses, Ready to fly weight is probably 105-ish.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could see that being mistaken for a home made IED.

Worked on the tail feathers today. I even got all the holes drilled straight! Made some brackets out aluminum angle. Brace wires will support the tail structure, and the elevators and rudder will hang

Done!

Posted Images

Green chile flapper!
My wide open crankcase breather wasn't up to the task of handling crankcase pressures correctly, and I spewed a bit of oil out the breather, dipstick tube and prop hub. The amount of oil loss has lessened considerably as the engine accumulates hours(It's up to an 1 1/2 hours now). I was told by another pilot who has been flying 1/2 VW's for many years, that a crankcase flapper valve would help a lot with oil control. I guess the pressure gets vented, then the valve closes, allowing a bit of vacuum to develop inside the case. This vacuum is supposed to help keep the oil inside the case. It is essentially a PCV valve...just like in all modern vehicles. Now I could have just gone down to an auto parts store and sourced the biggest PCV they had, but this project could not have gotten as far as it has...if I solved every problem with a credit card. So made my own PCV out of some junk drawer parts and can of green chile.:brows:

20200220_151400.jpg

20200225_150749.jpg

20200225_150807.jpg

20200226_072544.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Sonoran Dave said:

Green chile flapper!
My wide open crankcase breather wasn't up to the task of handling crankcase pressures correctly, and I spewed a bit of oil out the breather, dipstick tube and prop hub. The amount of oil loss has lessened considerably as the engine accumulates hours(It's up to an 1 1/2 hours now). I was told by another pilot who has been flying 1/2 VW's for many years, that a crankcase flapper valve would help a lot with oil control. I guess the pressure gets vented, then the valve closes, allowing a bit of vacuum to develop inside the case. This vacuum is supposed to help keep the oil inside the case. It is essentially a PCV valve...just like in all modern vehicles. Now I could have just gone down to an auto parts store and sourced the biggest PCV they had, but this project could not have gotten as far as it has...if I solved every problem with a credit card. So made my own PCV out of some junk drawer parts and can of green chile.:brows:

20200220_151400.jpg

20200225_150749.jpg

20200225_150807.jpg

20200226_072544.jpg

Cool Dave! Can't wait to see what you do with a can of enchilada sauce !

• Haha 1

I saw the project lookin nice really.

AYE, we swung in the cabins at dark-nobody home,  we got stuck in Phoenix much longer than thought sorry missed ya see ya another time , I hope !

• Sad 1

I hate to be Bob Bummer regarding the Pcv, but my inner pessimist warns me of risks to the engine should the pcv grenade and the engine eat some of it.

It has no basis on your design, but is based on recent threads on Suby forums( with new Subiroos ) having defective pcv, followed by subsequent engine failure.

Have you considered a screen between the pcv and engine, as well as an AOS downstream of the pcv?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, frank c said:

I saw the project lookin nice really.

AYE, we swung in the cabins at dark-nobody home,  we got stuck in Phoenix much longer than thought sorry missed ya see ya another time , I hope !

Knucklehead, I waited for you to show up all day. I'm sorry we didn't get to visit a little. If it was dark, I was probably at my girlfriends.

2 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

I hate to be Bob Bummer regarding the Pcv, but my inner pessimist warns me of risks to the engine should the pcv grenade and the engine eat some of it.

It has no basis on your design, but is based on recent threads on Suby forums( with new Subiroos ) having defective pcv, followed by subsequent engine failure.

Have you considered a screen between the pcv and engine, as well as an AOS downstream of the pcv?

Got it covered! See below...

I will consider an AOS if needed. I think I have room to cram something in, and I have an idea how I would implement it. I am waiting to see the results of this experiment first. I dont want to add any unnecessary weight.    

4 hours ago, BMc said:

Cool Dave! Can't wait to see what you do with a can of enchilada sauce !

Make enchiladas! :4chsmu1:

22860076_496979570689475_6149748794070527159_o_496979570689475.jpg

22861552_496979520689480_7205134271326310495_o_496979520689480.jpg

• Like 4
On 2/19/2020 at 9:44 AM, Sonoran Dave said:

About 95 lbs dry without the oil filter and hoses, Ready to fly weight is probably 105-ish.

Cool Beans.   You going to meet FAR 103 ?  Close enough for government work ?  Wiegh  it in missing a Tire ?  LOL

I think with another 159 pounds to go Sonora will make it, easy, under the 254 max weight limit.

There is always  the "cloud hook" (103.23C) exemption :reading: to augment slightly overweight airframes.

Edited by Stillweaver hillbelli
8 hours ago, homefire said:

Cool Beans.   You going to meet FAR 103 ?  Close enough for government work ?  Wiegh  it in missing a Tire ?  LOL

The only way I can meet FAR 103 is to claim those tires as floats. That is some legal thin ice though...:shhhhh: 

2 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

I think with another 159 pounds to go Sonora will make it, easy, under the 254 max weight limit.

There is always  the "cloud hook" (103.23C) exemption :reading: to augment slightly overweight airframes.

Last time I weighed the fuselage, it was 121 lbs. That is basically complete except for the wings, tail and engine. Wings come in at 35-40 lbs each, 20 for the tail and 100~ish for the engine. I expect it will weigh close to 325 by the time it's done. 70 lbs over FAR 103 definition. The majority of ultralights out there are overweight, but in today's snitch society...some nosey MF'r will call the FAA and complain. It has happened to a few other builders.

The only option seems to be the legal route, or pull everything about the project off the interweb...and just fly it. Rarely I have I heard of anyone actually being weighed the FAA. I have heard of someone having to show pics of their build on a set of scales(good time to insert cloud hook eh?).  

• Like 2

I would guess the C.G. being situated properly is a greater concern than being a mightly portly. Does FAA poke there nose into that?

I assume it is centered about the cockpit?

:idunno::pop::89:What do female pilots call that area?

1 hour ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

What do female pilots call that area?

According to the FAA it is called a box office.

• Haha 5
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

I assume it is centered about the cockpit?

Generally yes. The CoG range of this design is approx 25-30% of the wing chord. Meaning ~30% back from the front of the airfoil.

Edited by Sonoran Dave
clarification
On 3/2/2020 at 6:13 AM, Sonoran Dave said:

. Rarely I have I heard of anyone actually being weighed the FAA. I have heard of someone having to show pics of their build on a set of scales(good time to insert cloud hook eh?).  

Maybe the FAA figures that since  they have no control over pilot weight, regulating airframe weight is moot.

11 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Maybe the FAA figures that since  they have no control over pilot weight, regulating airframe weight is moot.

I think it is more of a manpower thing. So they lay low and wait... for some moron to poke his head above the crowd. I bet all kinds of fun "regulation" will swoop in at that point.

I downloaded the application for my N number a few days ago and will be dropping it in the post directly. I don't want issues with the fuzz. :kap:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It finally stopped raining long enough to allow me to resume work on the engine.
I had planned on ditching the oil filter after break-in was finished, but lately I have been wanting to make the oil filter a permanent fixture in the oil system. The size of the filter (Fram HP-1) kept me from doing this before. It was too darn big...and too heavy. I did some searching and came up with an alternative filter that fits the same filter bases as the HP-1. Wix # 51393 is also much smaller! The smaller footprint allowed me to tuck it behind the number one cylinder. You can see in the pics how I adapted my existing brackets. I ran new 1/2" oil lines to the filter head. This has worked well so far.
Moving the oil filter required relocating my ignition coil, which was easily switched to other side of the case.
I also added a vacuum port to each intake manifold. This will come in handy for carb tuning and when installed in the aircraft, a tap for a manifold pressure gauge.
I also received my new TinyTach and got it installed. I don't plan on running the engine again until the weather warms up some, but hopefully it will work fine when I do.

20200323_092734.jpg

20200323_092839.jpg

20200323_093859.jpg

• Like 2

Unless you buy a high end Fram(ultra or whatever they call it) I believe the Wix is better, overall, bang for your buck/quality.

I think "bob is the oil guy"'s forum is pretty keen on anything Wix makes.

:nutty:As for carb equalizing, you could always disconnect one  sparkplug(then the other) and tune each carb to a similar RPM:brows::tisk-tisk::4chsmu1::duc::tisk-tisk:

Posted (edited)

The airplane is being forced into the backseat until this new diversion gains some traction. I always wanted one these and this one popped up at a great price...I couldn't say no.

I've had it less than 24 hrs...and it's in pieces:25r30wi:

20200326_131217.jpg

Edited by Sonoran Dave
added stuff
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

:89:I worked on a bug, once, cursing, while trying to figure out how to change the plugs(or was it the alt.)?

What yr is it?

Plugs are easy to get at, but the alternator can be tricky to get right because the blower fan also runs of it.

It is a 1973. Same year as me. :)

Dave, you could have gotten my 1968 Square Back I sold a couple of weeks ago.  Would have given you a real deal bro.  It did need an awful lot of body work but the engine was just overhauled before I  let it set.  :brows:  

Old Tom

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Dave, you could have gotten my 1968 Square Back I sold a couple of weeks ago.  Would have given you a real deal bro.  It did need an awful lot of body work but the engine was just overhauled before I  let it set.  :brows:  

Old Tom

I have wanted a Beetle since I watched Herbie the love bug as a very young kid. I grew up and forgot about them, as we don't see too many of them in Alaska. Now that I live somewhere warmer and I have been re-exposed via the airplane engine and Patches the tube buggy...I really wanted one again. I have a plan for it, and it will be a solid little car capable of highway or off road travel. The interior on this one is in fantastic shape. I think it's been re-done before. The rust is minimal and the engine runs. It will not idle though. The carb needs to pulled apart and rebuilt.

Next week,  I'm going to do a compression check on all 4 cylinders and based on that, pull the engine for rebuild or just fix it. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't get distracted froomn your four yr old quest to fly the friendly skys.

I searched threads on Corona and up yours popped. I guess u had to go in  search of steel,  on page one 

• Haha 1