Nugget Shooter Forums
Sonoran Dave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

All three of my FaceBook accounts are under lock and key at this time.    It would seem I ruffled more then some feather .   One account is permanently locked for posting e-bay links to items I use and were at a good price.  SPAMMING they called it.      Some day I'll understand the Code of Conduct ? 

• Haha 1

My policy is: 

If you ain't upsetting somebody...you're doing it wrong! :25r30wi:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

LOL,   Yep, I look to the  Blocking and Banning as a Badge of Honor.   Someone Willing to tell the truths and  get in the faces of those in the wrong.     Guess I get up the right noses.

• well done 1

49 minutes ago, homefire said:

Guess I get up the right noses.

:89:No left noses are irritated in that process?

• Haha 1

I worked on the fuel tank mount today. I cut some aluminum angle to serve as forward and rear stops which will be bolted to the tabs already welded on the fuselage. I then fashioned two straps out of some heavy duty pallet banding. I had a gap between the top tubing and the bottom of the fuel tank, so I made some rubber spacers by cutting a strip of stall mat and using the router table to groove one side.
Now that everything is in place, I will take it all back off one more time.
I have decided to go ahead with the folding wing mod, and I need some additional tabs welded on. I have also decided to add flaps and so need to weld a tab for the flap handle. Some gussets will be added while I have everything apart for the final time.

20191107_171038.jpg

20191107_171332.jpg

20191107_171224.jpg

• Like 1

Nice.  How many gallons is that tank?  Looks bigger than I had expected.

5 or 6 gallons?

UV  stabilized plastic or is ultra white roof paint in your future?

It's a 6 gallon tank, probably 5 gallons usable. It will get covered with a center section of aluminum that should keep out the uv. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Here comes the wind and rain, maybe snow, a bit

Yeah, it's gonna be nasty I think. Time to batten down the hatches:th_rain-umbrella:

Bluebird sky here in PV right now. Expecting 3+ inches of snow Thursday night then turning to rain over night continuing into Friday! Are we having fun yet?

• Like 2

Welcome to MY world!:rolleyes:

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Terry Soloman said:

Welcome to MY world!:rolleyes:

Terry we actually had more and larger snow storms here in PV last year than did my fishing partner in Barrington NH. Not what I was expecting moving to AZ in 2011! And Global Warming ... Hell NO ... each winter has been colder than the last and earlier to start the below freezing temperatures. 

• Like 1

What Wind ?   Still waiting for batteries on my wind turbine toy.

Today.PNG

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1
  • wow 1

2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Yeah, it's gonna be nasty I think. Time to batten down the hatches:th_rain-umbrella:

If you get to fabrikatin' a Legal Eagle windshield wiper mod, it won't rain:brows:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mike Furness said:

Terry we actually had more and larger snow storms here in PV last year than did my fishing partner in Barrington NH. Not what I was expecting moving to AZ in 2011! And Global Warming ... Hell NO ... each winter has been colder than the last and earlier to start the below freezing temperatures. 

Apparently you don't understand the concept of global warming. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

4 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

If you get to fabrikatin' a Legal Eagle windshield wiper mod, it won't rain:brows:

Dave if you also add a window shield defroster mod and maybe even a cockpit heater mod it might not snow either!!

• Haha 2

There are times some cockpit heat would be a good thing, but I think I'll just fly it on the nice warm days. Thankfully we have plenty of those in AZ. :desertsmile:

• Like 3

It has taken longer than I expected, but I finally have come up with a flap control design I can live with. I started by making pillow blocks for the crossbar of the mechanism. In designing this, strength then weight, were the paramount concerns. After mounting, the pillow blocks are very rigid even with a large portion of my weight hanging from the crossbar. They are very lightweight too.
Next is the flap handle itself, and the bell cranks for the flaps. I have those drawn out and just need to make them.

20191127_130414.jpg

20191127_132802.jpg

20191204_090227.jpg

20191204_090911.jpg

20191204_091903.jpg

20191204_140020.jpg

• Like 4

Looks great Sir David.  I never saw any other Legal Eagles with flaps,just the ailerons.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TEMPEDAVE said:

Looks great Sir David.  I never saw any other Legal Eagles with flaps,just the ailerons.

It will be the only one Dave.

All those other Eagles have nice airstrips too. I have nothing but rocks...:aw-shucks: I need to shed as much airspeed as possible before touchdown, and flaps are the best thing for that.

• Like 2

The pillow block " bearings" of Delrin,HDPE or?  with the metal  surround to capture are slick!

• Thanks 1

Delrin is Slick.   LOL    Not far from Teflon I think.  Not so good with Oils or Patrolium Products  I think.. 

• Like 1