Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

Recommended Posts

Crusty !  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, homefire said:

Crusty !  

It's just scale. Comes right off with a wire brush. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is amazing how all of these parts come together. You have become an aerospace engineer!:thumbsupanim

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2019 at 2:12 PM, Terry Soloman said:

It is amazing how all of these parts come together. You have become an aerospace engineer!:thumbsupanim

Mr Elon Musk need him on the team !  LOL   A Problem Solver !

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those real aerospace folks are a lot smarter than I am! :00000067:

I have gotten the brake lines built. I used -3 fittings and stainless braided hose. The only problem I encountered was that the stock banjo bolt on the caliper, was not long enough to accommodate the larger bodied universal banjo I got from Summit Racing. My solution was to fabricate my own banjo bolts. Started by trimming two 10mm x 1.25 bolts down to the proper length. I then drilled cross holes in each one, followed by a hole right down the center of the shank. I cleaned them up and they screwed right in.
I also fastened down my new brake lines in such a way, that they will never chafe on anything, when the stick is moved or the suspension is cycled. All in all I am very happy with how this setup turned out.

20191001_100244.jpg

20191001_101302.jpg

20191001_101341.jpg

  • Like 2
  • well done 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Those real aerospace folks are a lot smarter than I am! :00000067:

I have gotten the brake lines built. I used -3 fittings and stainless braided hose. The only problem I encountered was that the stock banjo bolt on the caliper, was not long enough to accommodate the larger bodied universal banjo I got from Summit Racing. My solution was to fabricate my own banjo bolts. Started by trimming two 10mm x 1.25 bolts down to the proper length. I then drilled cross holes in each one, followed by a hole right down the center of the shank. I cleaned them up and they screwed right in.
I also fastened down my new brake lines in such a way, that they will never chafe on anything, when the stick is moved or the suspension is cycled. All in all I am very happy with how this setup turned out.

20191001_100244.jpg

20191001_101302.jpg

20191001_101341.jpg

Nice job Dave!

But I don't see how those hydraulic brakes are going to work if you're headed for a cliff face...should of went with air brakes!!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are you going to put the parachute?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Nice job Dave!

But I don't see how those hydraulic brakes are going to work if you're headed for a cliff face...should of went with air brakes!!

No, I don't reckon they'll work great in that situation. :excl::th_panic:

As long as I have time to fire off a last ditch Hail Mary, I should be good. Divine providence has saved worse scallywags than me. Hopefully, the Almighty will allow me to cash in some good karma... on a timely miracle. :fl:

44 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Where are you going to put the parachute?

Parachutes are for pansies.

 

 

Unless I had the money for one. It would be nice insurance policy, but the price renders that an impossible option for the time being.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

I assume your hinge hardware is grade8 or better?

Real AN bolts only. Donated by a good friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work on the banjo bolts Dave, necessity being the mother of invention etc. etc....  Seriously great stuff and thanks for letting all of us tag along!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trial fitting of the rudder. Everything seems to line up like it should!

20191003_121357.jpg

20191003_121245.jpg

  • Like 2
  • well done 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great Sir David,love the Pietenpol tail group........

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TEMPEDAVE said:

Looks great Sir David,love the Pietenpol tail group........

I know...it looks like it belongs there. :)

I could not have done it that way, without the plans you gave me. Thanks Dave!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:ROFL:   Hay Dave , ya got to hurry if your are going to fly it at  the outing...:ROFL:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, azdigger said:

:ROFL:   Hay Dave , ya got to hurry if your are going to fly it at  the outing...:ROFL:

No danger of that! It will probably be spring before it's that close. You're welcome to stop by the house and take a peek if you like.

Elevator hinges are figured out and installed. I still need to knock off the corners and sand everything before varnishing, but I think the tailfeather shape looks good on an Eagle. :)

 

20191004_180709.jpg

20191004_180608.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2019 at 2:34 PM, Au Seeker said:

.should of went with air brakes!!

No need for that with a reverse pitch prop:m2c:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

No need for that with a reverse pitch prop:m2c:

A reverse on a airplane, how cool is that, that would make parking it a lot easier, especially in a crowded airspace!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waaaay beyond my budget...both in money and weight! :excl:

 

:25r30wi:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woow, Dave...That is amazing...you are a real craftsman...anything you CAN'T do????  Hope you've been videoing it's build for YouTube ... You can make some major bucks off of that!  Maybe get Channel 3 to come out for an interview but have the YouTube deal set up first then use the TV channel to put out the word on your YT vid... WTG ... Cheers, Unc

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

Woow, Dave...That is amazing...you are a real craftsman...anything you CAN'T do????  Hope you've been videoing it's build for YouTube ... You can make some major bucks off of that!  Maybe get Channel 3 to come out for an interview but have the YouTube deal set up first then use the TV channel to put out the word on your YT vid... WTG ... Cheers, Unc

Thanks Unc! I do have a youtube channel! There isn't really anything there yet though. Bill even gave me one of his older cameras to do videos with, but I'm really at a loss as to, what to film, and how to film anything for a watchable video. Self promotion has never been one of my strong points...:th_panic:

Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg8P_2s4ubQ33-c-EntWbmA

Projects Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/SonoranEagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:brows:I think you could have avoided all this fabrukatin an wrenching if you had just bought a car to plane conversion kit from KaleCo Auto.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like unk said, amazing craftsmanship....  I know there are lots of folks who are creators or enjoy seeing what other creative folks are doing and your candid and low key airplane building saga is something many would enjoy....  I for one would enjoy a video tutorial on the welding process you used, a little cutting, fitup, prep, and torch work...  Those are skills few have...  The hinge construction, banjo bolts, etc....  Then there is all of the wood werkin stuff, and not to mention the vwenstein power source...  Not necessarily self promoting but it might be fun and educational for others..

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.  

Jeff

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

:brows:I think you could have avoided all this fabrukatin an wrenching if you had just bought a car to plane conversion kit from KaleCo Auto.

 

Hahahahahahahaha....I laughed waaaay too long at this. :worship:

56 minutes ago, pairadiceau said:

Like unk said, amazing craftsmanship....  I know there are lots of folks who are creators or enjoy seeing what other creative folks are doing and your candid and low key airplane building saga is something many would enjoy....  I for one would enjoy a video tutorial on the welding process you used, a little cutting, fitup, prep, and torch work...  Those are skills few have...  The hinge construction, banjo bolts, etc....  Then there is all of the wood werkin stuff, and not to mention the vwenstein power source...  Not necessarily self promoting but it might be fun and educational for others..

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.  

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. :)

I may try to film something and see how it goes. Usually when I'm in the shop, there is far too much foul language. If I edited out all the sailor talk....it might be a silent film! :25r30wi:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...