Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

It looks great Dave!

Did the foam release or did you have to dig the form out of it?

Your sanding task will be much easier and the surface will be infinitely smoother if you apply a coat of thinned resin over the surface before sanding. I thin with acetone and use it like paint. Then after sanding with 80 grit I shoot it with hi-build primer and sand to 120 and do another coat of primer if needed. Sand to 320. Then the surface will be perfected and the only texture left will be the gun finish when you paint. Then sand the paint with 1000, 1500 and then some Maguire's polish. The finish will look just like a brand new car.

I think you are one talented fellow. Your project shows skill in a whole lot of disciplines. Not very many guys could even begin to grasp the varied crafts that you have mastery of. 

I am highly freaking impressed!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you Bob!

It released from the plug pretty easily. I could probably reuse it if I had to.

I will try your method on the next part I make. Since this piece turned out usable, I may do the fuel tank cover in glass too. It's kind of a funky shaped doodad and fiberglass may be the ticket. :)

Edited by ArcticDave
forgot something

Figuring out how to shape the bottom of the windshield was a pain in the buttocks. I ended up using some sheet aluminum as the base of a template and from there measuring down along every inch of the curve. Doing so, I was able to plot out the approximate lower edge. Some duct tape and a Dr. Pepper box served as the lower edge of my template. I then transferred my new pattern to a sheet of Lexan. It took awhile, but the Lexan fit nice the first try! I'll put up pictures of it all mounted tomorrow after I drill the mounting holes and temporarily bolt it down. :)

20190828_110518.jpg

• Like 4

Dave , your work never ceases to amaze me....keep it up.

• Thanks 1

I just picked up on this thread and all I can say is,,,,  WOW..  Can’t wait to see the final outcome and first flight...  Coop.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys and welcome to the circus Cooper!

Windshield is done! Well mostly....still need to sand off the sharp corners.

That protective film is staying on there until it's ready for taxi tests.

20190830_132226.jpg

20190830_125710.jpg

20190830_125725.jpg

20190830_132304.jpg

• Like 3

Looks good, just stick your head out around it to see,  will help get a breath of fresh air too....:ya:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Wottre you plannin' for the outter Lexan to help cut back the inevitable scratching? [ Ohai -- been a while huh lol ;) ]

You remember those 'books' of tear-away mylar sheets they used to make like 50 years ago that snapped onto 3/4 MC helmets in place of a bubble or over top of or in place of shaped 'flat' shields? Were used mainly during early daze MX racing on muddy tracks -- shield got mudded over ya just ripped off the outermost sheet n kept going..

I'm wondering if something like that is feasable? And in this operation you don't even need to stack the sheets; just clean prior to flight until unuseable, then replace anew..

Ermmm -- I am assuming yer gonna be doing something or another out front, right?

Swamp

7 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Wottre you plannin' for the outter Lexan to help cut back the inevitable scratching? [ Ohai -- been a while huh lol ;) ]

You remember those 'books' of tear-away mylar sheets they used to make like 50 years ago that snapped onto 3/4 MC helmets in place of a bubble or over top of or in place of shaped 'flat' shields? Were used mainly during early daze MX racing on muddy tracks -- shield got mudded over ya just ripped off the outermost sheet n kept going..

I'm wondering if something like that is feasable? And in this operation you don't even need to stack the sheets; just clean prior to flight until unuseable, then replace anew..

Ermmm -- I am assuming yer gonna be doing something or another out front, right?

Swamp

Swamp! Been a long time buddy...figured the alligators enjoyed having you for lunch! :yikes:

I remember tear offs! We still use em up north when snowmachine racing.

That single sheet of lexan is all there is. Mostly there to keep the prop blast off my face. I don't figure on too many bugs at altitude...but that may be shortsighted. With my luck, the sky will be full of the little bastards. :tisk-tisk:

• Like 1

Yep, and big buzzards too...  Oh no, bird strike on #1 engine and wind screen!  Quick, long arm reach around with the windex and rag, don't forget to fly the airplane.... Busy now...  Egads, what would Sully do?  

Amazing work Dave, much respect for your skills.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2019 at 4:59 AM, ArcticDave said:

The thought of this... had me in stitches. :25r30wi:

I have always hated hats of any kind. Finding one that fits my weirdly shaped head has always been a challenge. Mostly, I wear a bandana that I soak regularly, but it dries out too quick to be real useful.  I have to wear a hard hat at work, but I could probably squeeze a small towel or something under it. It was hot down in the pit yesterday and I just started completely soaking myself with the water hose. That felt real good. :yesss:

Never wore hats most of my younger days.    Learned to HATE the darn things in the military.  Forced to cart one around 24/7.  Especially the Retarded Absolute epitome of STUPID hats the Dress Blue Service Cap.  Yea,  the Dumb azz Buss Driver hats.  WORTHLESS.  And they costed a bomb when ya messed one up.   The fatigue hats were cool.  You could just crunch one up and stuff it in your pocket.  The Female Body Part Hat (C Cap) hat was ok to carry and actually kept your head warm when it was cold..  You just tucked it under your belt and forgot it was there.    Today I don't go outside with one..  LOL  I prefer a Ball Cap or a Boonie type hat. 

Getting it Done Sir.  

Edited by homefire
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, pairadiceau said:

Yep, and big buzzards too...  Oh no, bird strike on #1 engine and wind screen!  Quick, long arm reach around with the windex and rag, don't forget to fly the airplane.... Busy now...  Egads, what would Sully do?  

Amazing work Dave, much respect for your skills.

Thanks Jeff!

A buzzard strike would probably knock me right out of the sky :th_panic:

I hope my slow speed will reduce the chance of that happening.

15 hours ago, homefire said:

Never wore hats most of my younger days.    Learned to HATE the darn things in the military.  Forced to cart one around 24/7.  Especially the Retarded Absolute epitome of STUPID hats the Dress Blue Service Cap.  Yea,  the Dumb azz Buss Driver hats.  WORTHLESS.  And they costed a bomb when ya messed one up.   The fatigue hats were cool.  You could just crunch one up and stuff it in your pocket.  The Female Body Part Hat (C Cap) hat was ok to carry and actually kept your head warm when it was cold..  You just tucked it under your belt and forgot it was there.    Today I don't go outside with one..  LOL  I prefer a Ball Cap or a Boonie type hat. 

Getting it Done Sir.  

Thanks Homey!

Where have you been? Missed ya man.

Being forced to wear a hat is the worst! 

I have a lot of hair, and I used to be able to get by without wearing one at all, but lately it's getting thin up yonder. I can feel Mr. Sun right away and that forces me into a ball cap usually. A lot of guys speak highly of a straw hat....so I may give that a go.

4 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

A buzzard strike would probably knock me right out of the sky :th_panic:

At the NASA/JSC site just outside of Las Cruces we built a test cell and fixtures for a light gas poultry cannon. They shot white leghorns at shuttle parts and test equipment housings. 

Some of the speeds they pushed the poultry projectiles were preposterous. It would blow the chicken downrange so fast you could hardly track it with your eye. it would blow a hole right through a flimsy rocket body. But the slow fired fryers flying at slingshot speed would wrap around the test article and rip it right off the stand.

I figure as much air (and shredded mourning dove puree and quail pate) is going to be passing over that Lexan it is going to get frosted up petty quick. I bet a stack of those ripoffs for helmet visors might be useful. Or some of that clingy window film insulation? It works dandy to protect the glass in a blasting cabinet.

I suppose the particulates in the air decrease pretty quick as you get off the ground and it may not be much of an issue. 

You have a lot of air there Dave. I am thinking huge drywasher. Just fly in, taxi up to the diggings. Anchor it at the tail and blow the overburden off a patch. Then pop open a big nylon air scoop to funnel the air into a huge vibrator drywasher and shovel what is left into the concentrator. Unhook the tail and fly off into the sunset. :inocent:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

...Or some of that clingy window film insulation? It works dandy to protect the glass in a blasting cabinet...

I was thinkin' stop by yer fave auto window tint shop to snag a piece of scrap film, squeegee it onto a small piece of scrap lexan n mount it onto your grille to see how the film handles what the highway chucks at it pebbles n all..

I've been using their film on my skylights for years.. I can't come anywhere near removing all the trapped air on a bubble-shaped surface without getting into some kinda cutting my legs no longer have the patience for so I'm left with some non-stuck-down edging, which won't be a problem on your surface shape.. Every couple/few years it'll come loose n get blown off during a storm cos of 'em but I'll usually find it all stuck to itself and undamaged up against the fence.. I just wash it off, climb back up there with a bottle of bubbles-B-gone, slap it back on and it's good to go again until the next time.. Good UV properties too..

Just might be worth a test..?

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

At the NASA/JSC site just outside of Las Cruces we built a test cell and fixtures for a light gas poultry cannon. They shot white leghorns at shuttle parts and test equipment housings. 

Some of the speeds they pushed the poultry projectiles were preposterous. It would blow the chicken downrange so fast you could hardly track it with your eye. it would blow a hole right through a flimsy rocket body. But the slow fired fryers flying at slingshot speed would wrap around the test article and rip it right off the stand.

I figure as much air (and shredded mourning dove puree and quail pate) is going to be passing over that Lexan it is going to get frosted up petty quick. I bet a stack of those ripoffs for helmet visors might be useful. Or some of that clingy window film insulation? It works dandy to protect the glass in a blasting cabinet.

I suppose the particulates in the air decrease pretty quick as you get off the ground and it may not be much of an issue. 

You have a lot of air there Dave. I am thinking huge drywasher. Just fly in, taxi up to the diggings. Anchor it at the tail and blow the overburden off a patch. Then pop open a big nylon air scoop to funnel the air into a huge vibrator drywasher and shovel what is left into the concentrator. Unhook the tail and fly off into the sunset. :inocent:

What do you do for a living? " I'm a chicken chucker!" :25r30wi:That had to have been a cool job.  

Giant fan drywashing? Hmmmm...an accelerated Eolian deposit:brows:

3 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

I was thinkin' stop by yer fave auto window tint shop to snag a piece of scrap film, squeegee it onto a small piece of scrap lexan n mount it onto your grille to see how the film handles what the highway chucks at it pebbles n all..

I've been using their film on my skylights for years.. I can't come anywhere near removing all the trapped air on a bubble-shaped surface without getting into some kinda cutting my legs no longer have the patience for so I'm left with some non-stuck-down edging, which won't be a problem on your surface shape.. Every couple/few years it'll come loose n get blown off during a storm cos of 'em but I'll usually find it all stuck to itself and undamaged up against the fence.. I just wash it off, climb back up there with a bottle of bubbles-B-gone, slap it back on and it's good to go again until the next time.. Good UV properties too..

Just might be worth a test..?

Swamp

I had no thought of doing so, but you guys have a point. It should prolong the life of that Lexan by good margin. I have some tint film already in a medium shade. That would probably look pretty sharp too.

• Like 1

Did some reading over on an auto tint forum. Tinting over plastic is never recommended because the plastic  will off gas with sun exposure. You'll wind up with a bunch of very visible air bubbles under the tint.  At least that is the general consensus among those that do it for a living. Since this thing is right in my face, appearance is an important consideration. The Lexan was $35 bucks. If I have replace it every year...it's not that big a deal. I have the pattern saved, so making a new one would take me 20 minutes at most. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some times it is best to listen to those who know....

• Like 1

I stayed up late yesterday and finished assembly of the front.

20190904_085313.jpg

20190905_071051.jpg

20190909_115647.jpg

20190909_190158.jpg

20190909_190044.jpg

• Like 6

Worked on the tail feathers today. I even got all the holes drilled straight! Made some brackets out aluminum angle. Brace wires will support the tail structure, and the elevators and rudder will hang off the hinges I'll make tomorrow. After the hinges are done and everything is drilled , I'll take it all apart again for final sanding, covering and painting.

20190916_170125.jpg

20190916_170146.jpg

20190916_124830.jpg

20190916_111857.jpg

• Like 8

I do believe I see a aircraft in the making. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, homefire said:

I do believe I see a aircraft in the making. 

Thanks Homie!  :)

8 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Pine?  Were you selective regarding rings per inch?

Some is pine. Main structural pieces are western hemlock.

Rings per inch is a major concern, along with grain orientation being another critical aspect. The approved ring count depends on species of wood used. Douglas fir is real strong wood and the ring count is down around 7 rings/inch. Spruce is weaker, so you need 8-9 rings/inch minimum.

• Like 2
  • Hmmmmmm 1

The levels of Knowledge you display on all this crap flipping Astonishes me Dave. 

• Thanks 1

Look at what showed up today from Black Max Brakes...my dual stick mounted master cylinder! This will let me use the brakes independently for added steering power.
I also dug around in the junk drawer and found this 50 year old Schwinn handlebar grip. It was love at first sight! 🙃
I started the tail hinges this week as well. Now I have to slowly turn that pile of bolts into hinges. I know you can buy them pre-made...at $10 bucks a pop. Saved $260.00 making them myself.

20190920_164703.jpg

20190920_164801.jpg

20190920_101859.jpg

20190920_164950.jpg

• Like 1