Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

Dang Sir ! Your Da Man. What Next ? You going to give it some break in time on the stand ?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, homefire said:

Dang Sir ! Your Da Man. What Next ? You going to give it some break in time on the stand ?

Lots of break in time on the stand. I was thinking a good 10 hours at least...just to be safe.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

What kind of PMI and Maintenance would this thing require.  Or Be Prudent ?     Pull the Heads for a Look see every 50 Hours ?   Valves adjusted periodically ?   Replace bearings every 500 hours ?  Heck the Bearing would be just going Right at like 500 Hours.   As Performance Indicates ?    Not much I guess ? 

Edited by homefire

I've heard of these engines going over 1000 hrs before needing a rebuild. Mine is a hot rod, so that will shorten its life some. If I got 500 hours out of it...I'd be thrilled. It could last double that, as long as I take care of it. Oil change interval will depend on whether or not I leave the oil filter installed for flight. I have not made up my mind. It's claimed to effectively double engine life. It is heavy though. Adds at least 6lbs.  Probably will depend on my final weight and balance. 

I have been in a mad rush to get the fuselage painted before our monsoon season arrives. According to our weather people...I had one or two more days! Hahaha...finishing something on time is not my style. 😎
All paint is done. The landing gear is greased and assembled. I'll add the control stick tomorrow morning along with the floor and the seat. This part is just assembly work, so it is going quickly.

20190710_130319.jpg

• Like 4
  • well done 1

Dave,

Is that still 103 with those wheels? Looks like they'd be a bit heavy. (didn't read the whole thread, apologies if it's already been asked) 

Also, when you purchased the LE plans, did it come with a itemized parts list. For example: 6 pieces(feet) of 3/4"x .049 of 4130 tubing

No to 103... with those wheels. Yes the plans do come with an itemized materials list. Easy to make 103 if you want that, but I wanted something stout enough to land in a sandy wash without flipping.

LOL, Call those tires and wheels Floats and they don't count on your 103 Weight limit.  Eaaaaw? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, homefire said:

LOL, Call those tires and wheels Floats and they don't count on your 103 Weight limit.  Eaaaaw? 

Lol...I can try!

Love the sound of half VW in the morning! My neighbors may not....:inocent:

20190607_191452 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

With the painting done, I have moved on to final assembly of the fuselage. Control stick, floor, rudder pedals, seat and safety harness are all installed.

It is kinda fun to sit in it and make airplane noises:arrowheadsmiley:

20190711_074238.jpg

20190717_103110.jpg

20190717_103159.jpg

• Like 3

Man, Dave, I am so looking forward to your first flight!

Jim

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Idaho Jim said:

Man, Dave, I am so looking forward to your first flight!

Jim

Me too! Airplane noises only get you so far :25r30wi:

• Like 2

nnneeaoowww, nnneeaoowww......tat tat tat tat tat tat  :41:...oooops forgot you're not putting a machine gun on it....or are you?? :idea:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

nnneeaoowww, nnneeaoowww......tat tat tat tat tat tat  :41:...oooops forgot you're not putting a machine gun on it....or are you?? :idea:

My girlfriend says there should be a club of ultralights with paintball guns mounted on them.  Aerial dogfights anyone?

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2019 at 6:40 AM, ArcticDave said:

My girlfriend says there should be a club of ultralights with paintball guns mounted on them.  Aerial dogfights anyone?

I'm more then sure it's been done.   Rockets too.

17 hours ago, homefire said:

I'm more then sure it's been done.   Rockets too.

I'm sure you're right. I'd hate to see all my hard work get effed up with a bunch of paintballs!

I need to get busy on it, but it has been too dang hot lately. :desertsmile:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

I need to get busy on it, but it has been too dang hot lately. :desertsmile:

Those really wide straw lifeguard hats work great as a personal swamp cooler when soaked in water every so often.

Reinforce the brim with  a bunch of staples> after taping the circumference with  waterproof fabric first aide tape.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Those really wide straw lifeguard hats work great as a personal swamp cooler when soaked in water every so often.

Reinforce the brim with  a bunch of staples> after taping the circumference with  waterproof fabric first aide tape.  

That's a good idea! I never thought of dunking a straw hat...but that would work! After today I have the next 5 days off, so I'll probably start carving the mold plug for the dash panel. First time I tried that it was a disaster. Maybe I learned something and this attempt will go better!

If you top off your head before you don the hat with a wet microfiber cloth, the effect lasts longer and can also keep sweat from dripping in your eyes

Add another wetcloth at the rear of the primary to protect cool  your neck.

• Like 1

One step further is to rig a Camelback or other water rig with a hand bulb pump to force water to a low pressure spray head on top of your hat.

I wear an old raffia straw hat that holds a half gallon of water. It will stay cool for an hour in hot wind on the highway. They really work good and will last many summers. They fall out of shape when they are dry and look kinda goofy. But they stiffen up and hold their shape when they get wet. They are super easy to wash too. They come clean and wont stain with sweat for many seasons.

A canvas hat works pretty good wet. I wear a canvas outback hat once in a while and pour water in it. It is just like a canvas water bag on your head. Cool as the other side of the pillow man. They hold their shape well but are difficult to wash the sweat out of. They tend to look like they are soaked in grease after a couple summers and get kinda gross.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

soaked in grease after a couple summers and get kinda gross.

Soak it in OXICLEAN for a day with  some  detergent.   It will  clean  up. 

2 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

One step further is to rig a Camelback or other water rig with a hand bulb pump to force water to a low pressure spray head on top of your hat.

2 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Soak it in OXICLEAN for a day with  some  detergent.   It will  clean  up. 

The canvas gets funky. From being damp and oily for three months of hot weather. You might clean it up with Oxyclean but it rapidly gets funky again. A soon as it gets damp it starts to sprout. Maybe if you hit it with a fungicide or something. Maybe rig up an IV drip of water and wide spectrum antibiotic with that Camelback.

I think the canvas hats are flax/cotton and mold/bacteria are pretty aggressive on that stuff. The panama fiber is the very best straw hat but it won't get really wet. Shantung is crap and wont last or get wet. Raffia and a couple other coarser straws are my favorite. Those huge Guatemalan palm fiber hats are awesome if you can wear such a big thing on your head.

A big floppy Guatemalan farmer hat is probably out for an aviator. Unless you were using it for some extra lift. It would make quite a statement to see a guy fly by in a little home built plane wearing one. I could dig that. The wingspan of one of those hats is almost equal to Dave's plane!

The sweet thing is that you can get any of them at the local thrift stores here for around $5. Everyone wears a hat and everyone has several they don't like. So it is easy to grab a decent hat for cheap.

Those microfiber sports towels too. They do work slick and they are really catching on with the working men and outdoor sportsmen. 

I have been wearing a face mask often too. Especially on the boat and on the highway in the Land Cruiser. I get a pair of second hand XXXL ladies stretch pants and cut the legs out of them. They work great and you can still smell the fat girl on them when you pull them over your nose. They seem a bit hot at first but they really lessen the effect of wind, waves and sunlight after a few hours exposure.

• Like 1