Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

only wake-up for Harley's. surly won't sound like a v-twin Harley which fires every 315 degrees with a 405 degree gap.

great work dave, looking forward to it tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

only wake-up for Harley's. surly won't sound like a v-twin Harley which fires every 315 degrees with a 405 degree gap.

great work dave, looking forward to it tomorrow.

Thanks bob. It ain't quite that ready yet...but in the next few days it will be.:)

I'd say that sure looks like a Air Craft Engine ya have there Sir !

19 hours ago, homefire said:

I'd say that sure looks like a Air Craft Engine ya have there Sir !

Thanks Homey!

I'm going to try and snag my neighbor to help me carry it outside tomorrow. I'll get some better pics then, but it's all bolted up and I'm working wiring harness now. :)

great job on that engine Dave. Nice and clean ... way we used to build race motors before computers took over running the engines! ... back to the 70's!!! LOL! (Just saying that makes me sound and feel old!):old:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
I finished the last few details on the engine today. I fabricated braces for the dual Mikuni carb set up. I also got the wiring harness made. Only 8 wires! 4 of those are CHT probes. I love an engine that only needs 4 wires to run! :worship:
I also started the test stand today... I actually started it over a year ago and got sidetracked. I did however, dig it out of the pile today and haul it to the workbench. I'm doing something a little different with my test stand. I've figured out a way to incorporate a dynometer into the stand. That should prove helpful when fine tuning carb jets and timing. I can see torque measurements from a test run immediately.

20190524_124447.jpg

20190528_140350.jpg

20190528_140424.jpg

20190528_140635.jpg

20190528_140143.jpg

Edited by ArcticDave
spelling
  • Like 5
  • well done 1

Posted (edited)

Holly Crap Dave ! I am IMPRESSED Sir !

Mikuni's eaa? Can't think of a more dependable carb.

That's one fine Clean engine you have Sir. Nothing on the Planet as Simple nor Dependable that I can think of.

KISS ( KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID ) Taken to a new Level. WOW !

Edited by homefire
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Drove by yesterday  (wed) and showed my girlfriend you plane frame.....no activity seen or I would have stopped.

Edited by azdigger

2 hours ago, azdigger said:

Drove by yesterday  (wed) and showed my girlfriend you plane frame.....no activity seen or I would have stopped.

Well crap! You should have stopped. I was probably around somewhere close by. :)

Was pulling a new to me pontoon I had just gotten

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 3:01 PM, ArcticDave said:
I finished the last few details on the engine today. I fabricated braces for the dual Mikuni carb set up. I also got the wiring harness made. Only 8 wires! 4 of those are CHT probes. I love an engine that only needs 4 wires to run! :worship:
I also started the test stand today... I actually started it over a year ago and got sidetracked. I did however, dig it out of the pile today and haul it to the workbench. I'm doing something a little different with my test stand. I've figured out a way to incorporate a dynometer into the stand. That should prove helpful when fine tuning carb jets and timing. I can see torque measurements from a test run immediately.

20190524_124447.jpg

20190528_140350.jpg

20190528_140424.jpg

20190528_140635.jpg

20190528_140143.jpg

Dave when you get the engine mounted on the stand and running you gonna have to shoot a video and post it, photos just won't do it for us at that point!!! :nono:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

Dave when you get the engine mounted on the stand and running you gonna have to shoot a video and post it, photos just won't do it for us at that point!!! :nono:

Will do!

It will be soon. The stand is tacked together already. A few more days will have it operational.  :)

• Like 3

Hi Dave,

I have to say - Mate !!! - That is a work of Art !! :):)

You're really moving forward now!

I'm sending that last photo down to my mechanic mate in Melbourne . . . I'm sure he'll be just as impressed . . .

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rossfi said:

Hi Dave,

I have to say - Mate !!! - That is a work of Art !! :):)

You're really moving forward now!

I'm sending that last photo down to my mechanic mate in Melbourne . . . I'm sure he'll be just as impressed . . .

Thank you! I hope it runs as good as it looks. :)

I have gotten carried away with the engine stand I'm afraid...:25r30wi:

Not one to leave well enough alone, I was daydreaming one day and had an idea.:idea:  I needed a way to monitor engine output power whilst in the tuning stage, as subtle changes in jetting or timing can have large effects upon maximum torque levels. We were all taught in school that Torque= Force X Length. So an engine that produces 100 ftlbs of torque would apply a force of 25 lbs on a 4 foot moment arm(T=F x L).  I realized this principle could be reversed and used to monitor engine torque directly. By attaching a moment arm to the engine mount with a spring on the end of it... I have a low tech, low buck, low brow dynometer! I have to finish and calibrate it still, but it's almost done. I'm going into town for the last few parts I need today. The pulleys on the end simply exaggerate the movement of the needle, since the arm doesn't swing that much. :)     

20190602_102148.jpg

20190602_102049.jpg

20190602_102108.jpg

• Like 1

Minimalist instrument panel done! I needed to finish it in order to run the engine on the stand.  A single 8 pin Deutsch connector to the engine for a clean installation.
All I am monitoring is:

RPM
Cylinder head temperature for each cylinder
Low oil pressure
Battery voltage

I have an oil pressure gauge I will hook up while the engine is running on the stand, but will be removed after break in.

20190604_150338.jpg

20190604_150513.jpg

• Like 2

I wrangled an unsuspecting victim into helping today and got the engine mounted to the stand. It's looking like it will be ready to run by Saturday.

20190605_140339.jpg

• Like 4
  • well done 1

Why so High of the Deck Dave ?  

Nice job on the wire harness.

• Thanks 1

Plenty of clearance thus avoiding pesky prop strikes?  Waiting patiently to hear it run, it sure looks amazing Dave,  great work.  Safety first!  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, homefire said:

Why so High of the Deck Dave ?  

Nice job on the wire harness.

Like Jeff said... for clearance, but also I needed a 4' moment arm on my dyno. I could have used a shorter one but the math was super easy for a 4 footer:inocent:

2 hours ago, pairadiceau said:

Plenty of clearance thus avoiding pesky prop strikes?  Waiting patiently to hear it run, it sure looks amazing Dave,  great work.  Safety first!  

Thank you! It really seems like the closer I get...the more there is to do! :25r30wi:

• Like 1

Really nice, Dave. Doesn't sound like any VW I ever heard....really throaty!

jim

• Thanks 1

Here is a better video that Bill shot.

• Like 2
  • well done 2

Thanks for the videos Dave and Bill, sounds awesome and it will blow dry your hair that's for sure!! :4chsmu1:

• Thanks 1

Its alive. Awesome stuff Dave, great job. Thanks for the video Bill. 

• Thanks 1