Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

Dave's AMAZING at innovation.  Seems to find ways around the Impossible every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since I built wooden tailfeathers for my Eagle, instead of aluminum, I needed a new way to bolt down the tail.

I fabricated brackets today that hold the tail on to the fuselage. I had to come up with my own way of doing it... which is probably overkill.

I will weld them on in the morning when the wind is calm.

20190418_152931.jpg

20190418_153950.jpg

20190418_163808.jpg

20190418_154220.jpg

20190418_163836.jpg

• Like 1

You will be a "Maestro" by the time you are finished.  :mornincoffee:  
I need to come visit an see the progress.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frank c said:

You will be a "Maestro" by the time you are finished.  :mornincoffee:  
I need to come visit an see the progress.

You're welcome at any time my friend :)

Woooo!
I welded the cylinder heads this morning :-)

I had another strange premonition, so I stopped into the local welding shop yesterday. After talking with the manager, I walked out with a free bottle of argon that had a little still left in it. I'll return the bottle Monday, but that little bit was more than enough to weld the heads up. ER 4043 works great as a filler wire. I have some some cleaning to do before final pics...but they are both welded finally!

20190427_115223.jpg

20190427_115258.jpg

• Like 6
  • well done 1

SCORE !

• Like 1

Great Job! I'm getting ready to start a 1/2 VW for a project, this info will really help!

Thank you for your post'!

• Like 1

I spent yesterday and this morning cleaning up the heads after welding.

I removed the rocker stud and used my super duper milling machine to flatten the top. :inocent:
This will give me valve covers that don't leak...I hope!

I also drilled and tapped for a temperature probe, so I can monitor head temp directly.

Homefire, If you read this... those temp probes are a 6mm x 1mm pitch.

20190505_064218.jpg

20190505_082305.jpg

20190505_083859.jpg

20190505_084023.jpg

• Like 1

Speaking of valve covers. I cut both of them down and got them ready for welding this afternoon.
I'm getting anxious to hear this engine run. :00000067:

20190505_141817.jpg

20190505_145059.jpg

20190505_145129.jpg

20190505_171545.jpg

20190505_171536.jpg

• Like 1

That's slicker than snot, Dave.  I might want to be there when you light it up.  Maybe just to pick up the pieces...……….:ya:

Old Tom

• Haha 1

Got it.

You going with the Individual Temp Gauges ?

4 hours ago, homefire said:

Got it.

You going with the Individual Temp Gauges ?

I am. They were cheap enough I bought four of them.

Welding the valve covers.

20190506_092120.jpg

2019-05-06 09.26.25.jpg

• Like 1
  • well done 2

WoW  those look way smaller then I remember.  Even knowing it's half.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, homefire said:

WoW  those look way smaller then I remember.  Even knowing it's half.

Pretty compact little engines, and not much wasted space inside the case either!

The last few days have been productive! I checked the ring gap on my piston rings and had measurements from .011 to .018. I used a small file and adjusted each ring to .018" gap. A little larger gap is good on a modified engine, that is going to run hard... it's entire life.

I installed all the rings and inserted the pistons into the cylinders. They are ready to be installed onto the engine.

I also painted the valve covers and sprayed a light coat of flat black on the cylinder heads.

I may have assembly pics tomorrow if all goes well.

20190512_120241.jpg

20190512_131344.jpg

20190512_134934.jpg

• Like 6

I still have some loose ends to tie up, but it's officially an aircraft engine!:yesss:

20190513_141511.jpg

• Like 4
  • well done 1

Posted (edited)

How much dinging around do you have to do to get that distributer to work on two cylinders?  Just use opposite electrode wires or is there other considerations to deal with.  Could you use all four and make the engine run faster or not?  I guess the position of the stroke would hamper that.  

Old Tom

Edited by Old Tom

37 minutes ago, Old Tom said:

How much dinging around do you have to do to get that distributer to work on two cylinders?  Just use opposite electrode wires or is there other considerations to deal with.  Could you use all four and make the engine run faster or not?  I guess the position of the stroke would hamper that.  

Old Tom

I don't have to do much to it thankfully.  I used the #4 cylinder as my #1. #2 stays #2. Vw type 1 firing order is 1-4-3-2. If you peek at the diagram below, you can see that #4 & #2 are directly opposite each other on the distributor. Right where they need to be, in order for this miracle to happen. All I need to do is put rubber boots over the unused holes in the distributor cap. With no path to ground(via spark plug)... the unused positions in that distributor won't even fire. The longer cycle time on the ignition coil, could feasibly equate to increased spark energy. I don't know for sure. :89:

Vw firing order.jpg

20190513_052447_LI.jpg

• well done 1

Boy trying to figure the firing and stroke order in opposite cylinders is like a chess game.  Is no. 2 normally the opposite firing cylinder?  That also has to be compensated for when mating your crank and cam?   What a conundrum.  

Old Tom 

10 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Boy trying to figure the firing and stroke order in opposite cylinders is like a chess game.  Is no. 2 normally the opposite firing cylinder?  That also has to be compensated for when mating your crank and cam?   What a conundrum.  

Old Tom 

As far as timing goes...nope! Don't have to do a thing. IF the firing order was different...then it would be a different story. A new cam would have to be made to change the hard timing. As it is, thankfully those Germans designed it right! 

9 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

A mighty cool project Dave. :)

Thanks Bob! :)

Cheesy video of project photos so far. :pop:

• Like 2
  • well done 1

I made the cooling tin today. What a bear that was! I tried several different patterns before getting it right. I blasted them all with glass to give them a satin finish.

I have the heads on and torqued. The rockers, pushrods and tubes are all in place. If you're very careful a drill and a pipe cutter make a dandy pushrod cutter...once your length is figured out.

I cut my valve cover gaskets out of a sheet of gasket cork as well.   

Exhaust is in place along with the intake manifolds and carbs. I still have to re jet the carbs and hook up fuel lines and throttle cables. I also need to make carb braces that bolt to the side of the case.

All in all... it's coming along nicely. I'll be ready to fire it up and scare the s**t out of the neighbors soon. :evil1:

20190523_090348.jpg

20190523_154505.jpg

20190523_155344.jpg

20190518_152348.jpg

20190523_155559.jpg

• Like 2
  • well done 1