Nugget Shooter Forums

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could see that being mistaken for a home made IED.

Worked on the tail feathers today. I even got all the holes drilled straight! Made some brackets out aluminum angle. Brace wires will support the tail structure, and the elevators and rudder will hang

Done!

Posted Images

1 minute ago, middleforkminer2 said:

The steering on that Northwing ATF is exactly the same as a hang glider?

Yep! You can shut the engine off and soar in the thermals, fire it back up and gain more altitude...repeat until satisfied:yesss:

Turbines can be had easy enough.  IF YOUR A RICH MAN.  LOL  

Going Ultra Light you can always get your Sport Ticket over time.  The only big differences I like is you can have a passenger, not limited to 50knotts and more fuel range.

LOL  

• Like 1

Hold my beer and watch this....that wingsuit thing was funny...did you notice his "fuel cells" appeared to be old school hot water bladders??? I expected Wile E, Coyoteee to fly past him at any time...laffin here.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Turbo don't weigh a thing if you dont tell anybody :brows:

Just a passing thought Dave and I'm not trying to give you any ideas you probably haven't toyed with already, BUT....:brows:....how much "thrust" would be needed to equal or exceed the output of the half engine thing?   Booster rockets for short takeoffs too...Lots of room for creative thinking here.

ETA:   I remember a segment that "Mythbusters" did on the old "JATO" tale of a car flying into a mountain...a really entertaining episode...

Edited by middleforkminer2

Jeez...I'd go like stink with that McCulloch! 

That o-235 would be a great engine for a 2 seater. A new crank would be expensive...but a lot cheaper than buying a 235 in certified shape. 

Today's progress. I got the front section framed and tack welded.

I had to clean up the bench for the photo...it looked like a trailer park in the aftermath of a tornado :tisk-tisk:

IMAG0247.jpg

Edited by ArcticDave
  • Like 1

Progress for sure, eaaa ?  Boy that Tarp Shelter wouldn't do so good here with our winds.  Wish I could have one.

HF

It's windy here too. I've got it tucked behind the lee side of the house and the rest is sheltered by a large Tamarisk tree. Even still we anchored it to 5 railroad ties. If it was out in the open...probably would have folded up by now. It withstood a 30 mph wind in the last storm to no ill effect.

I'll be happy if I get a year out of it. Long enough to build this plane :)

Edited by ArcticDave
  • Like 1

Kohler  is another option can be done sorta cheap.  Not a whole lot of ummph.  38-40 HP .  You can squeeze a bit more with better  Carb/Injection and tuned pipes.  Long life and dependable !    I'm not so keen on the Reduction set up on this one.  LOL

• Like 1

That company has a good reputation. Very few on the net talking about them though. I guess the weight has kept most serious buyers away.

Those engines are getting hard to find too. The manufacturing rights were sold to Subaru small engine. Generac no longer has anything to do with it.  I've found the Subaru version at couple places...but they are proud of them. 

On 3/1/2017 at 3:54 PM, ArcticDave said:

After more thought and a realistic look at cash reserves(next to nothing) :25r30wi:I'm going to build to ultralight weight. Less goverment involvement is always preferable...and cheaper in the long run. :200:

I know where ( you've seen it) there is a very nice down hill runway in case you ever need to bump start it:4chsmu1:

• Like 1

Still pecking away. I love gas welding!  I wish I had picked it up years ago. Almost ZERO splatter. I don't even have to wear gloves... until the filler rod gets short. Unlike all the welding I've done in the past, it almost feels genteel...like I should have a fine cigar and a spot of brandy sitting next to me as I slowly puddle the weld along the seam. Quite the zen experience. 

IMAG0248.jpg

• Like 2

Funny about the Gas welding.    I can't arc weld worth a hoot.   I get the shakes and that's when things get real wild.   Gas I have no problems at all.

I did learn that if your arc is spattering real bad to swap electrodes.  You want the Negative in hand.  Electrons flow from Neg to Pos. 

HF

31 minutes ago, homefire said:

Funny about the Gas welding.    I can't arc weld worth a hoot.   I get the shakes and that's when things get real wild.   Gas I have no problems at all.

I did learn that if your arc is spattering real bad to swap electrodes.  You want the Negative in hand.  Electrons flow from Neg to Pos. 

HF

It's all in the dangle angle- arc should 'force' slag towards the " just welded" area and not towards area "to be" welded.  Also, some electrodes need a very tight arc- to the point of the electrode business end being submerged in the slag/weld puddle. I believe 7018 is like that.

6011 is just the opposite but a tight arc is still needed.  Tight arc :defined: roughly,the diameter of the electode.

Mostly it's all about keeping the arc very tight so the flux/gases stay as near the weld puddle as possible- keeping it from oxidizing.

Many electrode alloys( and fluxes on them) have good amounts of F and Mn( as well as other metals).  P100 respirator is a good idea:old: along with ventilation and just not inhaling while running a bead.  

Research   "Manganism" for more bad news. also called "welder's disease".  Fluorine is no picnic, either

Gas and MIG/TIG welding are much more benign, by comparison.

• Like 1

When I was a kid I knew another kid that put him self in the hospital arc welding without a shirt.  He had sun burn blisters from neck to navel. 

HF

On 3/3/2017 at 4:38 PM, ArcticDave said:

That'll be pretty country to fly over. Those granite peaks and trees should make for some good video. 

Could you make it that far?

Probably have the wind with you, there, but against you on the return.  It's be fun swooping over Yarnell , going back ,to hit the( probable) thermal along the mtn  front/Yarnell Hill.

I think it'd be easy to find- just look for the big circle pivot pasture@ Hays Ranch rd( before Mtn Aire gas and trailer park) in Peeples valley and turn NW and aim just to the right of WEaver( 4 mile fly from there), hitting the slot in the western front( Poplar Creek drainage).  Or circle high and look for the MOnte Cristo scar.

Let me know when to send up the windsock:4chsmu1: and fueling station.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, homefire said:

When I was a kid I knew another kid that put him self in the hospital arc welding without a shirt.  He had sun burn blisters from neck to navel. 

HF

Yup, serious UV burns is another hazard with most welding.

5 minutes ago, weaver hillbille said:

Could you make it that far?

Probably have the wind with you, there, but against you on the return.  It's be fun swooping over Yarnell , going back ,to hit the( probable) thermal along the mtn  front/Yarnell Hill.

I think it'd be easy to find- just look for the big circle pivot pasture@ Hays Ranch rd( before Mtn Aire gas and trailer park) in Peeples valley and turn NW and aim just to the right of WEaver( 4 mile fly from there), hitting the slot in the western front( Poplar Creek drainage).  Or circle high and look for the MOnte Cristo scar.

Let me know when to send up the windsock:4chsmu1: and fueling station.

I flew from Deming to Wilcox one time. Close to 140 miles.  Had fuel stashed two locations between Deming and lordsburg.  Only needed one.  Fueled in Lordsburg rinky dink Air Port.  On to Road forks.  Fueled at the truck stop.  On to San Simon Az and fueled.  On to Wilcox and did it all over going home.  Started at sun up and got back just as the sun was setting. Got back in almost half the time it took me getting there .    Never got that adventurous again after that.  Had one of those Motorola 3 Watt bag phones in case I needed to yalp for help. 

HF

• Like 1

Yup ...7018 rod you just about have to jam it in and grind it along the puddle. Make sure your amps are set high enough to do it w/o sticking the rod. 

Welding this 4130 is whole different animal. This stuff flows together like butter when you have everything just right.