Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

7 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Dave  I have looked back through your posts and I cant find why your cutting a nice looking perfectly good VW head in half. I guess I'm missing something here, who knows maybe I'll learn something new? 

AzNuggetBob

My little engine is only a two cylinder. Removing half the cylinders saves a lot of weight. The engine is much easier to cool with both exhaust ports facing the prop blast.

29258324_558114997909265_1494009051132985344_n.jpg

Edited by ArcticDave
added pic
  • Like 2
  • well done 1

You going with any fashions of Oil Cooling Dave ?

I'll tell ya Dave I was having a hard time wrapping my brain around this.
I was thinking you were cutting the head in half for some kind of performance or maintenance purposes.
Did you come up with this idea? I've never heard of it before. are you cutting the block in half? or just plug the cylinder holes? I assume your using the front half because of the cam drive gear and oil pump.
I'd bet your going to get some serious oil pressure on it with a stock pump too.you just going to tap and plug the oil journals off and pull the crank in half.
Ok one more question, how are you going to mount it to the plane? you going to weld on new mounts.
AzNuggetBob

1 hour ago, homefire said:

You going with any fashions of Oil Cooling Dave ?

No plans at the moment. The other full case conversions seem to have no issue with high oil temps. The cut case version needs an oil cooler because of the lesser amount of oil it can hold. I am running full flow filtration, so I could tap off of that remote filter to add a cooler if needed.

1 hour ago, AzNuggetBob said:

I'll tell ya Dave I was having a hard time wrapping my brain around this.
I was thinking you were cutting the head in half for some kind of performance or maintenance purposes.
Did you come up with this idea? I've never heard of it before. are you cutting the block in half? or just plug the cylinder holes? I assume your using the front half because of the cam drive gear and oil pump.
I'd bet your going to get some serious oil pressure on it with a stock pump too.you just going to tap and plug the oil journals off and pull the crank in half.
Ok one more question, how are you going to mount it to the plane? you going to weld on new mounts.
AzNuggetBob

Not my idea. The 1/2vw has been around since the 70's at least. Motor mounts are not bad on the full case version. You can use the transmission mount holes on the case along with the rubber isolaters from a C-85. I have already welded the sleeves into fuselage to accept that kind of mount. Here is a little more info if you're curious....

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/lets-go-fly-on-half-of-a-vw-engine-1701235159

The article is close to accurate.

• Like 1

Ok, Dave do me a favor! next time you go to the airplane store1 I need 5 gallons of prop. wash and 500 ft of flight line!. Grubstake

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, grubstake said:

Ok, Dave do me a favor! next time you go to the airplane store1 I need 5 gallons of prop. wash and 500 ft of flight line!. Grubstake

Wire the funds over first Grubby! Otherwise, all I can afford to get you is a bucket of spit and a roll of used dental floss. :rasberry:

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

No plans at the moment. The other full case conversions seem to have no issue with high oil temps. The cut case version needs an oil cooler because of the lesser amount of oil it can hold. I am running full flow filtration, so I could tap off of that remote filter to add a cooler if needed.

Not my idea. The 1/2vw has been around since the 70's at least. Motor mounts are not bad on the full case version. You can use the transmission mount holes on the case along with the rubber isolaters from a C-85. I have already welded the sleeves into fuselage to accept that kind of mount. Here is a little more info if you're curious....

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/lets-go-fly-on-half-of-a-vw-engine-1701235159

The article is close to accurate.

Thanks for the link Dave. 

I have been working on VW"s since the seventies, but if it didn't fit in a baja bug I probably wouldn't have paid too much attention to it.

that was my thing back then. :D 

AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

What Color of wire you want?Red? Black, yellow Or Blue?  Grubstake

I don't have any Green either!

Edited by grubstake
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Thanks for the link Dave. 

I have been working on VW"s since the seventies, but if it didn't fit in a baja bug I probably wouldn't have paid too much attention to it.

that was my thing back then. :D 

AzNuggetBob

I would love to build a nice middle of the road Baja, something like this...:snapoutofit:

Street-legal-1969-Volkswagen-Baja-Bug.jpg

• Like 2

I'll tell ya Dave you can tie up a lot of money in those Baja bugs. Back in the 70"s if you had Bilstein shocks
you could float over washboard roads like they wern't even there. they didnt have the travel of the newer shocks these days but if you stack them like three in the rear and two in the front per side you were stacking up some cash too at about $60.00 bucks each. At about eighteen years old it was cutting into my dating money. lol but if you had 
a cool car the ladies loved it. We used to blast all over the deserts of SoCal at night and play CB tag.
AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

I'll tell ya Dave you can tie up a lot of money in those Baja bugs. Back in the 70"s if you had Bilstein shocks
you could float over washboard roads like they wern't even there. they didnt have the travel of the newer shocks these days but if you stack them like three in the rear and two in the front per side you were stacking up some cash too at about $60.00 bucks each. At about eighteen years old it was cutting into my dating money. lol but if you had 
a cool car the ladies loved it. We used to blast all over the deserts of SoCal at night and play CB tag.
AzNuggetBob

I have Bilsteins on the rear of Patches and you are not kidding! I can fly down a washboard road way faster than I should:brows:

118.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArcticDave said:

I have Bilsteins on the rear of Patches and you are not kidding! I can fly down a washboard road way faster than I should:brows:

118.jpg

Patches! that's a great name Dave, and of course a killer ride. :thumbsupanim  h.t.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hardtimehermit said:

Patches! that's a great name Dave, and of course a killer ride. :thumbsupanim  h.t.

I really dig that buggy. It is a ton of fun. A Baja with a heated cab would be nice sometimes though. I get cold easy :25r30wi:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Always want a buggy like that.  One of those things that just never happened.  Close a few times but always a day late or a dollar short. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, homefire said:

Always want a buggy like that.  One of those things that just never happened.  Close a few times but always a day late or a dollar short. 

I see ones, that need some love, pop up regularly over here. I flipped through CL this morning out of curiosity and found a few below $1500. Of course, that does mean hours of repairs and buying a few parts...I enjoy that part of it though. Gives me a chance to put the stamp of Dave on it. :4chsmu1:

070.jpg

• Like 5

Satellite internet and Rocket Racks .  That's all your missing.  Eaaaa a Real mounted Mini Gun would be most cool.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, homefire said:

Satellite internet and Rocket Racks .  That's all your missing.  Eaaaa a Real mounted Mini Gun would be most cool.  

Might want to include an AirEvac basket with a couple of tie down straps . . .  :)

On 2/24/2019 at 12:42 PM, ArcticDave said:

I really dig that buggy. It is a ton of fun. A Baja with a heated cab would be nice sometimes though. I get cold easy :25r30wi:

Its a summer car, nice and cool, you need a Bug for winter.  :rasberry:      AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Its a summer car, nice and cool, you need a Bug for winter.  :rasberry:      AzNuggetBob

I agree wholeheartedly. :brows:

11 hours ago, BMc said:

Might want to include an AirEvac basket with a couple of tie down straps . . .  :)

I'm thankful to have never needed one!

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:21 AM, ArcticDave said:

I see ones, that need some love, pop up regularly over here. I flipped through CL this morning out of curiosity and found a few below $1500. Of course, that does mean hours of repairs and buying a few parts...I enjoy that part of it though. Gives me a chance to put the stamp of Dave on it. :4chsmu1:

070.jpg

After almost 40 years and 600,000 miles driving that FJ40 Land Cruiser in the mountains of New Mexico I understand what being a little chilly means. I cant count the times I had to stop and build a fire on the side of the road to keep the blood from thickening.

One fateful morning at 9K feet I pulled it over, set the emergency brake and crawled under it to huddle against the exhaust pipe. It was 23 degrees below zero with a 30 mph crosswind and I was rolling at about 45 mph. As I laid there under the cruiser the snow was swirling around my face and piling up against me but it was preferable to the driver's seat.

On the flip side I was rolling up to the gold claim one summer afternoon and it was about 107 degrees. There was a horde of grasshoppers to thick the road was slick with them. They instantly covered the windshield and I took my foot off the gas. The rig actually fishtailed a little on all the squashed bugs on the asphalt. I was just getting it together and trying to get my heart back to normal when a big bumble bee bounced off the rear view and hit me in the left cheek right below the eye.

I crossed the road and slid down the oncoming shoulder sideways. I wound up against the fence in a cloud of dust. My eye was swollen shut for a couple days. My teeth hurt. Even my tongue was numb on the left side.

Then there are those nights... driving down a desert road with a big fat moon overhead. The warm air thick with sounds and smells and all that energy left after the sun goes down. A convertible trail rig on the backroads is definitely the best way to get high on gasoline IMHO.

DSCN0881.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Then there are those nights... driving down a desert road with a big fat moon overhead. The warm air thick with sounds and smells and all that energy left after the sun goes down. A convertible trail rig on the backroads is definitely the best way to get high on gasoline IMHO. 

I couldn't agree more! There is short period before sunrise that is awesome as well.

Hi Dave,

Been going through this blog since I found it and thought I'd ask a question if you don't mind (& given your mechanical skills) - and the question is this; Why does everyone cut the VW engine to make a boxer twin? i.e. Why not just remove the cylinder heads from one side, block up the holes, re-balance & fire it up as an inline twin? . . Something to do with the angle of the dangle on the crankshaft?

Also I noticed you've widened the top of the air-frame where the wings attach (which looks Much betterer :-) but haven't added any diagonal bracing to the rectangle/squares formed in the  mod. I know there are a few designs that don't but have also noticed a lot of designs that Do - And given that your wings attach there, there may be some twisting forces (yaw) from potential wind gusts to account for???

It may seem odd that I can't get my head around the first question yet can still make the second observation but the firing order in my head is a bit orf from months of study on other topics.

BTW I'm not a mechanical engineer, just an old phart with a lifelong interest in aircraft - I'm more of an electronics/IT/computing bod . . .

Would love to build one of these if I can set aside the time & money but am rather less sure of my building skills & Oz is chock full of regulations compared to the US. 

At any rate thanks for posting this series - I've learned a lot from reading through it and I wish you all the best with getting it done . . . 

Oh and P.S. - I may have some ideas for Homefire around the Arduino stuff if he is interested?? 

Kind Regds

Ross

Sydney/Oz

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, rossfi said:

Hi Dave,

Been going through this blog since I found it and thought I'd ask a question if you don't mind (& given your mechanical skills) - and the question is this; Why does everyone cut the VW engine to make a boxer twin? i.e. Why not just remove the cylinder heads from one side, block up the holes, re-balance & fire it up as an inline twin? . . Something to do with the angle of the dangle on the crankshaft?

Also I noticed you've widened the top of the air-frame where the wings attach (which looks Much betterer :-) but haven't added any diagonal bracing to the rectangle/squares formed in the  mod. I know there are a few designs that don't but have also noticed a lot of designs that Do - And given that your wings attach there, there may be some twisting forces (yaw) from potential wind gusts to account for???

It may seem odd that I can't get my head around the first question yet can still make the second observation but the firing order in my head is a bit orf from months of study on other topics.

BTW I'm not a mechanical engineer, just an old phart with a lifelong interest in aircraft - I'm more of an electronics/IT/computing bod . . .

Would love to build one of these if I can set aside the time & money but am rather less sure of my building skills & Oz is chock full of regulations compared to the US. 

At any rate thanks for posting this series - I've learned a lot from reading through it and I wish you all the best with getting it done . . . 

Oh and P.S. - I may have some ideas for Homefire around the Arduino stuff if he is interested?? 

Kind Regds

Ross

Sydney/Oz

""Oh and P.S. - I may have some ideas for Homefire around the Arduino stuff if he is interested??  ""

Homefire  Is always  open  and available when it comes to Brain Food.  

**   The Idea of the two apposed cylinders versus the Inline  is both Esthetics and Machismo.  The Firing order and  Piston Positions come to play.  Would be like trying to ride a Three Hump Camel.  The third Hump under your butt. 

POPCORNCAT.gif

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

LOL - Not too fussed about the "Aesthetics and Machismo" to start with but not real keen on the bumpy ride idea either. As it happens I just had the same conversation with a mate in Melbourne who tells me it would be cheap enough (??) to get a new crank made up from scratch. Advantage is that if I want to restore to 4 cyl (by way of a power upgrade) I can by replacing original crank and opposite head assembly. VW engines are available here but not as much as in your neck of the woods, so tend to be expensive.

OK Homefire - I'm not sure of how much you already know :idunno:so I hope the following info doesn't come out sounding like a 'lecture from on high' - if it does please excuse me in advance, I'm doing/writing lots of assignments, presentations and lesson plans atm  . . . :00000067:  

I noticed that at the moment you are using the Mega 2650 as the 'brains' for the basic EFIS/EMS functions and I wondered if it will have sufficient capability for what you want to do? Or at least for for the additions you are likely to want make over time. While the 2650 has lots of IO and is 'cheap as', there has been a lot of development since that board came out and there are a lot of alternatives (likely with cheap Chinese clones) that may have more available processing power to handle the workloads (hate those 1201 errors :yikes:). 

As you'd know the Arduino platform (& the IDE) was originally designed around the 8 bit AVR processor platforms (including Uno & Mega2650). Since then the IDE has now been expanded considerably (& sometimes copied outright) to include a much wider range of processor/platforms, many of them 32 bit with gobs of memory & I/O as well as massive speed increases. One example of these is the 32 bit PIC processor made by Microchip, a US company with a very long pedigree (and which has just bought out AVR). An example of two boards made by Digilent https://store.digilentinc.com/processors/processor-boards/ is shown below (both based on the PIC32).

image.pngimage.png

I have the bigger of the two which as you can see is very similar to the full-size Mega (with even more I/O) and which is why I really sat up and paid attention when you posted the mini EFIS info. Sadly I've not seen a clone of it similar to the 'Mini-Mega'. 

There are other boards and of course there is the Arduino Due itself, but it is a bit of a moving target and its hard to know which will last the distance (see the Maple project  https://www.leaflabs.com/maple - have just found out they are now 'discontinued' but heaps of Chinese clones out there based on the same STM32 chip, now likely to be orphaned). The "Teensy" boards https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/ can also be programmed by the Arduino IDE and they have been around for a long time with pjrc contributing to the Arduino knowledge base.

The beauty of the new Arduino IDE is that you should now be able to change the underlying platform with relative ease, though there will always be glitches :cry2:and some work to fix it :miner: 

There is also another platform altogether called the 'Micromite' http://geoffg.net/micromite.html which started some years ago as a series of publications in a local electronics magazine by a guy call Geoff Graham (from West Oz) which is also based on the PIC 32 platform but which uses a clone of GW Basic for programming (it also allows inline 'C' programming). There has been steady development over a number of years much of it previewed on a forum called "The Back Shed" https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=16.

One of the people who has made some significant contributions is a guy called Peter Mather from the UK who seems to be a genius at 'C' programming and PCB design (I think he is planning on building a plane too). Peter wrote some inline C code for an EFIS on the Micromite and you can see the working device here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ_h7oSppGk. Brightness is still an issue but with OLEDs around the corner  . . . . so one to watch . . . (some of the latest conversations are around PIC chips with clocks running in the 200MHz range).

There is a mob over your way that sells a couple of Peters PCB designs that have built in LCD controller interfaces as well as Arduino hardware footprints for very reasonable prices http://www.circuitgizmos.com/Micromite-Devices-c14171441. I bought a couple to 'play' with but sadly am just too busy atm :cry2::miner::miner:

There is a fair amount of crossover between these two platforms now and it's relatively easy to change the boot code on a Microchip PIC32 for either platform.

I don't know if any of the above will help you and Dave but it should keep you browsing for a while and may yet help at some point in the future or give you some ideas. At any rate I hope you find some food for thought . . . :pop::oregonian_winesmiley: 

Well this has been a nice diversion But it's back to the grindstone for mee . .  sigh

image.png

• Like 3