Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

I know right ? Dave seems to find a means to get just about anything needed done . Some How, Some Fashion, Some Way ! With Professional Results I must add.

• Thanks 1

because artic is a native male, protector for females and their kids.

man, woman and men are corporate inventions in the minds of men and not mother nature's creation.

• Thanks 1

I finished cutting stock for the horizontal stabilizer this morning. I have it laid out on the table checking the fit of everything. It all looks good so far. I will pass the spars through the router table to remove the sharp corners and begin the glue up next.

20190204_074737.jpg

Looks like a Pietenpol stabilizer except maybe smaller. Good to see you're back at it.

• well done 1

3 hours ago, TEMPEDAVE said:

Looks like a Pietenpol stabilizer except maybe smaller. Good to see you're back at it.

That is exactly what it is! It is the tailfeathers off a Sky Scout :4chsmu1:

I got the plans out of the old EAA reprint of the 1933 SA flying manual.  Thanks a bunch Dave! :yesss:

I had a weird case of intuition today. I had to drive into town in order to visit the bank, and on my way there I had a strong feeling I should go to the veedub shop I deal with. I walked in and chatted with Don a bit, and walked out with the perfect cylinder head for... $100!!!

Another customer had blown up an engine and this was the good head. It's got new valve guides already installed and a fresh 3 angle valve job...and new valves. I just need to shape the chamber a bit and cut it in half. :yesss::yesss::yesss:

20190204_143742.jpg

20190204_143801.jpg

2019-02-04 14.52.12.jpg

• Like 2
  • well done 1

You can only use half of that head, right ?  Depending on what side of engine ?  My brain is broken this morning. 

19 minutes ago, homefire said:

You can only use half of that head, right ?  Depending on what side of engine ?  My brain is broken this morning. 

I cut it in half, but I can use each half. It all works out when you flip it to the other side.  I have a junk head here that I can cut up to build up the rocker box.

Horizontal stabilizer built and sanded.

20190206_145556.jpg

20190206_145414.jpg

• Like 2

I started sanding the rudder this morning. I'm pleased with it so far.  The elevators are started too! I hope to have both of them framed by this evening...completing the tail section framing.

20190211_131312.jpg

20190211_131230.jpg

20190211_131215.jpg

20190206_145639.jpg

• Like 7

Progress is Progress !   Looking cool.

• Like 1

Thanks Homey. I got both elevators done today. They are hanging up waiting for the glue to dry. I'll take a picture tomorrow with all the tail componants.

In the meantime, I cleaned off the bench, and cleaned up every speck of sawdust. I then dug the engine stuff out of storage. It's time to shift focus back to engine work. :)

• Like 1
  • well done 1

Yea, Battery thing is still in limbo .

11 hours ago, homefire said:

Yea, Battery thing is still in limbo .

No big deal. Not ready for it yet:)

I went to cc my new heads yesterday and realized I can't! These CB Performance heads use a different spark plug. 12mm vs 14mm like the originals. Which is great, but until the new plugs arrive, I can't properly measure chamber volume. :barnie:

I may still go ahead and cut the head in half, and weld on the new rocker box sides. That way, they will at least be ready to start massaging chamber volume when the new plugs arrive.

2019-02-14 04.50.23.jpg

• Like 2
  • well done 1

How in Heck do you wack that head  in half ?

1 hour ago, homefire said:

How in Heck do you wack that head  in half ?

Like this! Pick your line and make a bazillion saw strokes...:4chsmu1:

Just takes a bit of elbow grease. I tried to split the intake ports without damage and managed to pull it off. There is not much room for error. I don't have to rebuild the intake ports this way. I'll weld some aluminum angle on the side to form the rest of that flange for the intake manifold.

20190214_091707.jpg

20190214_091753.jpg

20190214_112506.jpg

20190214_112543.jpg

• Like 3
  • well done 2

Looks like a job well done! :thumbsupanim

Well at least you had to cut through aluminum and not cast iron, the only problem when cutting aluminum is the teeth on the blade get clogged easier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

Looks like a job well done! :thumbsupanim

Well at least you had to cut through aluminum and not cast iron, the only problem when cutting aluminum is the teeth on the blade get clogged easier.

It only took me about 10 minutes. It looks worse than it is. I put a fresh 24t blade in the hacksaw and chewed right through the head. Like you said though....thank God it was aluminum!

• Like 3

Well Dang.    Cool Beans.   Should clean up nice belt or disc sander.   Didn't have much  room to play with for sure on that Ex Port. 

• Like 1

I have been sitting on the fence about this modification.  It would add a very significant amount of cooling, but is a lot of work. I made little templates for a couple of additional fins, but decided against adding them because they would sit in the shadow of the exhaust pipe...probably rendering them ineffective. You can see what I mean in the 3rd and 4th pics.
The larger template is for an additional 1" of cooling fin, more than doubling the surface area of the existing  cooling fins. Cooler cylinder heads last longer...the internal debate continues.

20190218_081712.jpg

20190218_082836.jpg

20190218_084705.jpg

20190218_090058.jpg

• Like 1

Reminds me of those ol Cox air plane engines.    I like it  .   I you just omitted that side bit around ex-host.  Do you think it would cause head to warp ?

2 hours ago, homefire said:

Reminds me of those ol Cox air plane engines.    I like it  .   I you just omitted that side bit around ex-host.  Do you think it would cause head to warp ?

The fins already there are pretty thick, close to 1/8". I believe it wouldn't warp, but careful attention to details would be the order of the day.  These heads have more mass in the center of the casting vs the stockers...that should assist in keeping it stable.

Cutting 16 of those fins sounds like the fun part though :tisk-tisk:

• Hmmmmmm 1