Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

Actually Dave the Corsair  is one BAD Errrrr you know plane too.  I believe both are neck in neck on Prop Speed Records.  Nothing else can compete with em that I know of. 

• Like 1

P-38 Concept Plane ?    Another BAD BOY of the sky.  Came a bit late but did what ever was asked of it.  And then some.

Edited by homefire
  • Like 3

P-38'S, JAPANESE ZEROS, AND TRENCH ART: It must have been one heck of a sight to have witnessed aerial combat between a P-38 and a Japanese Zero. My Dad, a US Army soldier on Bougainville in late 1943, said he witnessed such a dog fight directly overhead  After the Zero had been shot down, he and his fox hole buddy went over to the crash site to see what was left, and to look for souvenirs. He obtained an aluminum piece of the aircraft and gradually beat it into a ring with a spoon. When his unit got to Australia, he and his buddy attended a dance at a club, and his friend got into a fight with a Marine. Dad said he stood up to help his buddy, but another Marine stuck a gun in his back and said, "stay out of it". A few seconds later the whistles started blowing and all the servicemen started running out of the back door. As Dad turned to run, he heard something hit the floor. He looked down and saw a toothbrush, grabbed it on the run and realized it was the "gun" the Marine had stuck in his back. He decided to cut out a piece of the Coral colored plastic toothbrush handle to use as a set for the ring. My Dad's "Ruptured Duck", formally known as the "Honorable Service Lapel Pin" is shown with the ring he made from an aluminum piece of a Japanese Zero fighter plane. RIP Dad.

JAPANESE ZERO RING.PNG

• Like 5

I was not satisfied with the plastic sheet dash. It developed a wrinkle that I could not banish.  Back to square one!
Going with built up fiberglass this time. I started with (2) 6" foam blocks that I relieved for the forward cabane struts and glued together. When the glue dries, I can begin shaping the form. The form will then get covered in duct tape as a release aid, and I can start laying the glass.

20180912_080435.jpg

20180912_080454.jpg

The P-51 mustang is my favorite prop plane Dave. When I was living down in Tucson there was a guy that had one. he would fly it around every now and then.
not sure who he was but when he few it over my house and you heard the roar of that motor you knew it was him.
I used to walk outside just to watch him fly by. I saw him fly over next to an F-16 one time. I think it was part of an airshow they had going. The airbase was just south of me.
It looks like your plane is coming together well. will keep watching. :)
AzNuggetBob 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bob :)

I've been busy with other stuff lately. Putting Bill's Rhino back together, repairing a neighbors pickup, and now I have an old Honda sitting there waiting on parts...that belongs to a 70 something year old woman down the street. She swears she is gonna ride it around. :rolleyes: 

Now that some of those are done, hopefully I can get to shaping foam. That Honda came with a busted windshield that was only broken very low in the fairing area, I cut it down and will use the good part as my windshield. :brows:

Just get a giant rubber band, and put in that thing! It worked on my balsa wood models when I was a kid! Ha! Ha! Grubstake

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I built one out of a kit, that had a 5 ft wing span, I was in Monterey, and let it take flight one day, and it crashed in the ocean, never did get it back. Grubstake

11 hours ago, homefire said:

Why a few dozen of these bad boys may just about do it. ???

http://www.rubberbandsuk.com/Pallet-Bands/PB008

Those are huge! :4chsmu1:

10 hours ago, grubstake said:

I built one out of a kit, that had a 5 ft wing span, I was in Monterey, and let it take flight one day, and it crashed in the ocean, never did get it back. Grubstake

Ouch! That blows Grubby. :2mo5pow:

Well. I really gave it a go, but I have absolutely zero sculpting talent. No matter how many times I trim off foam...the form is still too small. :laught16:

Seriously,  this has become a major mental road block and I'm done with it. It seems like everytime I touch it....something else goes wrong!

A flat sheet of aluminum will be the dash. I will use the plastic pattern I made at least. :tisk-tisk:

• Like 1

Try to Use Coroplast Dave,   Free Endless supply of once used political signs to be  had.    Sides and Top  of the Canapy ?  All but UV Proof.  Fuel Proof.  Using some Rubber Edge Molding you could make the Engine Cowling look most snappy, eaa?   https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-Edge-Trim-Protector-Push/dp/B00NL45NQI/ref=asc_df_B00NL45NQI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167135816306&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12381375472938160539&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030427&hvtargid=pla-305451327339&psc=1

Edited by homefire
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, homefire said:

Try to Use Coroplast Dave,   Free Endless supply of once used political signs to be  had.    Sides and Top  of the Canapy ?  All but UV Proof.  Fuel Proof.  Using some Rubber Edge Molding you could make the Engine Cowling look most snappy, eaa?   https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-Edge-Trim-Protector-Push/dp/B00NL45NQI/ref=asc_df_B00NL45NQI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167135816306&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12381375472938160539&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030427&hvtargid=pla-305451327339&psc=1

That thing has a heck of an engine! :WOW:  Too bad he crashed it!

I hadn't even considered the sign stuff. Plenty of that around :brows:

18 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

Chain Saw I think ?

18 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

The Stuff is quite versatile it would seem. 

Edited by homefire
  • Like 2

Cool!

It's amazing the things people come up with...especially when they're broke and forced to be creative. :D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Cool!

It's amazing the things people come up with...especially when they're broke and forced to be creative. :D

LOL, Yea,   like me !  One of the good things I learned in the Military for sure.  We had to do so much with so little for so long you learned to do almost anything with NOTHING !

• Like 2

Just now, homefire said:

LOL, Yea,   like me !  One of the good things I learned in the Military for sure.  We had to do so much with so little for so long you learned to do almost anything with NOTHING !

Wonder how many snickers I would get if I shown up to a outing  on my E-Bike and a camper like that dragging behind ?  LOL     I could charge a small Nominal Fee for a Battery Charging Service ?  Emmmmm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, homefire said:

Growing up in Alaska was the same way Homey. If you didn't live in Anchorage close to the stores , you learned to make do with what you had!

If you showed up at an outing, everybody would happy to see you...no matter what weird contraption you were driving. :)

A little trailer behind your ebike would give you some space for mounting some lightweight solar panels and maybe even some batteries :idea:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Growing up in Alaska was the same way Homey. If you didn't live in Anchorage close to the stores , you learned to make do with what you had!

If you showed up at an outing, everybody would happy to see you...no matter what weird contraption you were driving. :)

A little trailer behind your ebike would give you some space for mounting some lightweight solar panels and maybe even some batteries :idea:

Done right I could run on solar more then battery and maybe even have enough to put charge in the battery while traveling.  Emmmm     Only negative thing I can think of is how long the hub motor would last.  They tend to get more then warm.   

• Like 1

On 9/8/2018 at 9:17 AM, Au Seeker said:

Here's a Mustang that not many remembers or mentions much at all, the P-82/F-82 Twin Mustang, twice the fun, there were also other versions of this aircraft!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-82_Twin_Mustang

North American XP-82 Twin Mustang 44-83887.Color.jpg

800px-F-82_and_P-51_in_formation_%280607

Talk about being creative. A twin P-51? I don't think I've ever seen one of those. I guess they where thinking two is better than one? 
It is a cool looking airplane. How many of  the XP-82 did they make? maybe I missed that. Thanks for putting that up Skip. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

On 9/17/2018 at 2:03 PM, ArcticDave said:

Thanks Bob :)

I've been busy with other stuff lately. Putting Bill's Rhino back together, repairing a neighbors pickup, and now I have an old Honda sitting there waiting on parts...that belongs to a 70 something year old woman down the street. She swears she is gonna ride it around. :rolleyes: 

Now that some of those are done, hopefully I can get to shaping foam. That Honda came with a busted windshield that was only broken very low in the fairing area, I cut it down and will use the good part as my windshield. :brows:

Gesh Dave sounds like they're keeping you busy around there. I need to get you over here to finish up some of my projects. :inocent: AzNuggetBob

Just kidding Dave. The problem is, I cant find anyone skilled enough around here.

Dave on the subject of living dangerously. when I grew up It was the norm for us back in the 60's to 70"s to ride in the back window of our parents buick or olds waving at people going down the freeway. child seat? no such thing. I think all the kids where doing it back then.
I'll never forget my brothers gyro glider. He started off like me flying U-control hobby planes.then he decided he was tired of that and decided he was going to fly.
He found some guy selling a gyro glider. 
The frame was all aluminum with go cart wheels. the blades where I think? spruce.It was a long time ago.
Now dont get me wrong here Dave. There is a huge learning curve from fixed wing to gyro glider no less, and not a gyro copter, a gyro-glider.He was getting towed by a car.We didnt have a full size airplane.
and I have to say his ground crew (me) did not have a lot of experience with gyro-gliders either, more later.To me at the time it seemed like a paradox? ya need to have an engine pushing it or pulling a helicopter? 
even though I had built many two and three meter gliders but I didn't understand the gyro effect at all. It was all new to most people back then. I've heard lot of pilots in Nam with the Huey's learned that they could crash dive free rotor without a power plant pull out at the last minute and survive it.same effect.
Anyway we had some problems with the test launches on our runway (a dirt road out in the bean fields). after a couple test runs the thing was shaking bad! I mean bad.so we concluded the blades where out of balance.one had to be heavier than the other or out of center.
So we found a scale where we could weigh them and sure enough one was much heavier than the other.shaved off the end of the heavy blade with a hacksaw. problem solved.we got em close. so back out to the bean field.took off towing him in my slant eyed 59 T-bird everything was looking good, he got up to about about 100 feet and cut loose of the rope.
He stalled. I watched him bank to the right and he ran right into some trees that bordered the bean field. I took off over there in my bird and when I pulled up and jumped out of the car and I heard him cussing and ranting about the damage to the copter and I knew he was O.k.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

LOL, I remember those being offered in the back of the Popular Mechanic Mags !   Wasn't long after that you started seeing proper Gyro-copters all over the place in the Tucson Area.  Some club or group set up a Air Drone  just off the DM Air Base we could ride our mini bikes out to and wish we had one.      Once in a while someone would try some funky maneuver and the blade would catch the tail stabilizer and DOWN they Came. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Gesh Dave sounds like they're keeping you busy around there. I need to get you over here to finish up some of my projects. :inocent: AzNuggetBob

Maybe when it cools off! That's the big hold up now. I can work outside till about 9 or 10 and then I start to melt. :grr01:

I saw a video of a gryro glider on floats. They pulled it behind a ski boat. Looked like fun, I'll see if I can find it again. The word you're looking for Bob is autorotation. When you reverse the blade pitch upon losing power you can maintain control until you hit the ground. A gyro copter or glider has bigger blades than a powered helicopter(in ratio with the size of craft) to help maximize the lift created by the spinning rotor. They are pretty cool machines, but there are so many moving parts...they kind of give me the heebie jeebies!

I'm afraid I would share your brothers reaction in a crash! Broken bones, missing limb or two...tis but a scratch! How is the airplane? That is the important question :25r30wi: