Nugget Shooter Forums

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

Cast ? Dang I was thinking they would have been Sleeved . They do make Extreme Heat Clear. https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Automotive-260771-11-Ounce-Degrees/dp/B006ZLQ0JI That Black Mat does look Nice. Yep, Hard to follow what's what and remember what ta ell you was going to do with what when and were some times. I have issues figuring this chit some times. I need to hit the Library and make a few copies of all these programs so I can lay them out on a table and that way I can see it all at once and not page by page , section by section. That way I can just go to each sub program and Copy and past in the order as required. Just too much to follow in your head. If I was a Real Programmer it would have been done weeks ago. LOL I have to copy routines that I know will do the job and past it all as one. I have it all here just some copying, Rearranging and clean up some conflicts to be done.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could see that being mistaken for a home made IED.

Worked on the tail feathers today. I even got all the holes drilled straight! Made some brackets out aluminum angle. Brace wires will support the tail structure, and the elevators and rudder will hang

Done!

Posted Images

Right on. Sometimes it is easier in the long run to slow down and organize. I'm in the process of that now myself. I cleaned my workbench and organized all my parts and made myself start writing things down. 

Had to work on my truck today, so didn't get much done. I did manage to saw out the piece from the junk head to build up the other rocker box. Still got a little more fitting to do on it before I can weld it. 

I'm going to attempt to weld them with my torch. I've got an old gas bbq set up as a preheat chamber. I will play with it today on the old junk head and see how it turns out before trying the good ones. As a last resort, I do know a great TIG welder that might do it for me...for a price. 

Don't think your torch is going to work out so well. The Oxygen is going to do BAD BAD things I'm thinking. If there Aluminum Mag alloy they may do some Really BAD BAD BAD things.   At that Air Craft Bone yard we used Propane Ox to cut stuff and the Magnesium would Burst into little Balls From HELL. That's why they use Argon with Tig and Mig on some things I know.

Edited by homefire

Yea, that looks more like Soldering then welding.  Wonder what he was using as flux ?   Bet Cast is a different animal, eaa?    Not going to get hot enough deep enough to do much I think.  And like Cast Iron when it does get hot enough it will BLURB.   I have a butt load of aluminum wire here and can't solder the stuff.  Seen videos of folks doing it using cooking oil of all things but I can't do it in any fashion.  I have to us Mechanical Connectors.  Can't hurt to try on your scrap heads.

People think Aluminum doesn't oxidize but in fact it oxidizes instantaneously as you expose a new surface.  That Atomic thin layer of Oxide is what prevents you from being able to solder the crap.  Keeping the air away using that cooking oil was the trick the guy used to solder.  I couldn't ever get it to work. 

Did you see this one ?

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

Not until now:)

Tinmantech sells a special flux that breaks up the oxide layer. I might buy some and play with it. My TIG guy said his welder wasn't capable of welding something that thick. LukeJ told me of another fellow to try. I'll have to think on it some. 

• Like 1

Most guys just buy an engine. The ones that do build their own engine have the heads tig welded. 

I am conducting an experiment now with some aluminum brazing rod. I've used it before with success. Since this is a non structural part...it may be enough. I've got a dummy head all splooged up with that crap. I'll clean it tomorrow and see how much force it takes to destroy it. :arrowheadsmiley:

If that experiment fails I'll get ahold of Luke's guy. Just trying to avoid that if possible, it would require two trips at 100 miles a pop. Feeding that 454 in the truck is spensive...especially if you got a heavy foot. :evil1:

Dave:
 What are you trying to get welded up? Ive got a big TIG (185) and my neighbor is a CAT welder...he uses it more than me :)
It might take a few weeks if he can do it though.

Tom

He had to cut the VW Aluminum or Aluminum Alloy heads in two.  Trying to weld the end of another head to make them symmetrical and Seal.  Up a few post you can see the Cut Head.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TomH said:

Dave:
 What are you trying to get welded up? Ive got a big TIG (185) and my neighbor is a CAT welder...he uses it more than me :)
It might take a few weeks if he can do it though.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I'll see how my test did in the morning. I fixed a broken transfer case once with that rod. It worked fine and held together for years after. Since all this has to do is hold oil...it may be fine for this too. 

• Like 1

My test head came out plenty strong enough for the job! The real heads are preheating in the bbq right now to be done the same way. This stuff is amazingly strong provided you get it hot enough to bond. 

• Like 2

I have been reading this page since it started , wow you guys are the tops when it come to working around store bought...... way cool.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, homefire said:

Dang, yer getting there.

Slowly I am. 

I called about my prop hub and got bad news there. It will be another couple of weeks before the guy even gets one to sell me. He told me the new batch just came out of the molds and were headed to the machine shop to be finished up. There are a couple of other places I can get one similar, but they don't have the external oil screw like on the original pulley.

I need that hub to go any further than mocking it up for bearing clearances and whatnot. In the meantime I'll port and polish the heads and get the chamber volume adjusted to where I need it. That should keep me occupied for awhile. :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

Not a good idea to polish intake ports. Unpolished ports create more fuel and air turbinance, thus better fuel,air mixture.

So do high rise manifolds.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

Not a good idea to polish intake ports. Unpolished ports create more fuel and air turbinance, thus better fuel,air mixture.

You both are absolutely right. I'm only taking the intake port to #600 grit. Nasa studies have shown improvement in flow all the way up to 600 grit. Finer than that and you lose the turbulence that mixes your fuel/air charge and gain nothing. The combustion chamber itself and the exhaust runner will get polished however, as It helps to reflect the heat and get it out of the exhaust stack without heat soaking the head as bad. 

We are talking about minimal differences in the whole scheme of things...but when you only have a 40 hp engine, those little things add up to make a big difference. :)

• Like 4