Nugget Shooter Forums

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

Reality is I have Zero Prospects of ever building one or anything similar.  Just going to have to do my flying by Proxy. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could see that being mistaken for a home made IED.

Worked on the tail feathers today. I even got all the holes drilled straight! Made some brackets out aluminum angle. Brace wires will support the tail structure, and the elevators and rudder will hang

Done!

Posted Images

Homey,

this guy has passed on, but someone keeps his blog up. There are numerous entries worth a read. Ol' Bob was a sharp fellow and thankfully wrote some of his stuff down. 

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/av-how-to-make-ribs-out-of-old-orange.html?m=1

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/flying-on-cheap-wood.html?m=0

Might take some time, but anybody can do it. You too.

• Like 1

Got the control stick finished today. I made everything myself including the pulleys :D

The two pulleys are for the elevator controls and the bottom pic shows the bell crank for the ailerons.  Pretty simple system, but it took a bit of patience to get it all correct. 

IMAG0352.jpg

IMAG0353.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0361.jpg

IMAG0359.jpg

IMAG0358.jpg

Edited by ArcticDave
  • Like 2

Homemade.....   :thumbsupanim

Even the 'machine tools'.

Nice work Dave !!

• Like 1

Not sure about the likelihood of a crack forming at the bottom of the V groove, but a radius,

instead of a sharp point on your 'lathe' tool would reduce the odds even further.

Just nit pickin'

:4chsmu1:

39 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

Not sure about the likelihood of a crack forming at the bottom of the V groove, but a radius,

instead of a sharp point on your 'lathe' tool would reduce the odds even further.

Just nit pickin'

:4chsmu1:

Thanks Luke,

I tried that first, but it wouldn't track worth a s#!t. It was easier to get a groove started with the point. That hdpe is 3/8"thick...a lot of beef left.

• Like 1

Sorta Creepy thing happened today....   Mudder in Law dropped off some Plans for a old Popular Mechanics Wood Hopper.  I asked her where ta ell she came up the these.  She said  she was going through the father in Laws JUNK and came across the stuff. He passed on last year.   A binder with Complete Plans.  A Completed 1988 ATC Flight Ground school Course and some more bits and bobs.  Seems he had Ambitions I never new about.  He never said a word about it over the  20 years I knew him and him knowing I had a plane  during part of that time. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Thanks Luke,

I tried that first, but it wouldn't track worth a s#!t. It was easier to get a groove started with the point. That hdpe is 3/8"thick...a lot of beef left.

Yeah...   Those pulleys are very unlikely to have any issues over the course of their time in service.  Especially since they won't have much actual load applied.

The cable is more likely to break.....   :ROFL:

Luke

• Like 1
2 hours ago, homefire said:

Sorta Creepy thing happened today....   Mudder in Law dropped off some Plans for a old Popular Mechanics Wood Hopper.  I asked her where ta ell she came up the these.  She said  she was going through the father in Laws JUNK and came across the stuff. He passed on last year.   A binder with Complete Plans.  A Completed 1988 ATC Flight Ground school Course and some more bits and bobs.  Seems he had Ambitions I never new about.  He never said a word about it over the  20 years I knew him and him knowing I had a plane  during part of that time. 

That is weird!  I studied the woodhopper a bit. Could be fun on a calm day. I have saved plans for several different light planes. Fascinating the variety out there

These folks let you download plans for free for most models. I got the plans for the Hi Max. 

https://www.teammini-max.com/aircraft/

When you ever tell some one  " I built this with these two Hands"  Your sure not going to be B.S.ing !  LOL,   At this point EVERY thing has been home fabricated ?  Exception Wheels !  LOL   

The Father in law was always a Stand off kind of guy.   7 years ago Mudder in Law and him self Hit  a Black Mule at 10:40 at night on HY 180 .  In a 65 Ford Van being all flat in front they had about Zero Protection.   She went through the windshield and ended up on the road relativity UN Undamaged other then minor cuts and stuff.   His face got flattened out and spent three months in the hospital never to be the same.  Wonder if the would have ever gotten around to building the thing? 

Yea, I like the Over Head Wing.  You can See things.

Edited by homefire

I prefer the wing overhead too. I want to see what's below me.

By building everything I can, I get the final cost much lower...it's the only way I'll get to ever fly. 

Sure sounds like your father in law had plans to fly as well. It's a shame about the accident. Head trauma is no joke. Our brains are pretty delicate...

Make hay while the sun shines, cause tomorrow is never a guarantee. 

• Like 5

As little as possible!

I have a decent Garmin gps that I can use for navigation. The only other things would be maybe a tach, cylinder head temp, and or EGT, and oil pressure. Possibly oil temp as well. Really not sure about that yet. I'll wait and see how full the panel gets with just the basics. I want a nice clean panel with as little clutter as I can get away with. 

:WOW:

That is cool!...I mean really cool!! A lot of functions packed in there. That would probably be better than relying solely on gps. How much does that cost to build?

I wonder if engine monitoring could be ran in a few of those windows. It would require electronic sensors, but that stuff is out there. Hmmm....all in one panel would be slick:idea:

Edited by ArcticDave
Added stuff

I have everything electronics wise but two of the sensors and the LCD on hand.  IF I can manage to get one going   LOL  A Contribution to the Cause we can call it.   Already downloaded all files.  Just another Project for me to play with.     Updates to follow as it progresses. 

• Like 1

If I get it going I expect a Sponsor Sticker on the side of your Plane.

mycoin.jpg

Edited by homefire
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

I prefer the wing overhead too. I want to see what's below me.

More stable, too, like a pendulum,,, If you drink/ /eat more, you'll have a bigger " keel", too:idunno:

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 2
22 minutes ago, homefire said:

If I get it going I expect a Sponsor Sticker on the side of your Plane.

mycoin.jpg

I like it. Heck...stick one on each side!

22 minutes ago, weaver hillbille said:

More stable, too, like a pendulum,,, If you drink/ /eat more, you'll have a bigger " keel", too:idunno:

:25r30wi:

I think the "keel" is big enough already! 

This is someone else s animal.  He's just kind of enough to share the project.  One of the Sensors is quite Pricey .  We can live without it.  No Yaw Monitoring for You.  LOL

http://experimentalavionics.com/efis-19264-ver-1-2/ 

That's a pretty cool instrument panel Dave, you can even tell if you are flying upside down in case you get vertigo.   :alcoholic:

Old Tom

• Like 1
1 hour ago, homefire said:

This is someone else s animal.  He's just kind of enough to share the project.  One of the Sensors is quite Pricey .  We can live without it.  No Yaw Monitoring for You.  LOL

http://experimentalavionics.com/efis-19264-ver-1-2/ 

Thats cool of the guy to share the tech. 

How far away do you think it would need to be from engine electrics? I'm not going to run a magneto, just 12volts from a battery. So it should be cleaner power. I've heard of mags giving certain instruments a hard time.

32 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

Thats cool of the guy to share the tech. 

How far away do you think it would need to be from engine electrics? I'm not going to run a magneto, just 12volts from a battery. So it should be cleaner power. I've heard of mags giving certain instruments a hard time.

Not a Issue.  Power supply will be filtered.  Magneto or Not.  Run the Magneto for Nav Lights and charger for battery.  Only way a Magneto would bother stuff is if the output was not filtered like it should be.  Direct off the Mag is a No No.  A filter is nothing more then a few Diodes, Inductor and Capacitor followed by a Voltage Regulator.  Let me know the Voltage out put of the Mag and I can whip one up no issues.  Parts On Hand   12v ....

• Like 1