Nugget Shooter Forums

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could see that being mistaken for a home made IED.

Worked on the tail feathers today. I even got all the holes drilled straight! Made some brackets out aluminum angle. Brace wires will support the tail structure, and the elevators and rudder will hang

Done!

Posted Images

Yea, well this car is about to contribute to this mans junk pile.  Got the thing back together.  Took if for a Test.  I Was in total SKIPPY LAND until I put in reverse to park it.  It bucked like a Mule.  Clutch started making all sorts Un Sociable noises.  Not so sure I have those abilities left in me.  Going to take some thinking here .

Weird. Stuck brake caliper maybe? Grasping at straws.. can't think of anything you could have done to cause that kind of binding. If the wheel spun freely after you tightened the axle shaft nut then bearing preload is probably fine. Jeez Homie...idk :89:

Check that.   I gave up.  It's going to the VET !  LOL   Clutch is more then I want to deal with.  $520.00 if I buy parts. 

1 hour ago, homefire said:

Check that.   I gave up.  It's going to the VET !  LOL   Clutch is more then I want to deal with.  $520.00 if I buy parts. 

Which type of clutch is in that beast, Homie..?

11 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Which type of clutch is in that beast, Homie..?

It's apparently front wheel drive, so that in itself in enough to have someone else do the work, pulling a regular manual transmission is one thing, but a front trans axle is another!

• Like 1

I would sell blood or whatever body fluid I had to...and come up $520. Never pulled a fwd clutch and I have no desire to learn. I need to pull the one in the Jeep, but thats an easy afternoons work.

Edited by ArcticDave
  • Like 2

I've done both types many times over the years and I would still do a rear wheel drive clutch without hesitation, but at my advancing age I would paid someone else to do the trans axles..unless I didn't have a way to come up with the funds, blood and body fluids sounds good to me if need be, i seem to have plenty of both at present if they'll take them!!

• Like 3

Yep, Front Wheel Drive.  Would have to undo everything I just did and drop the Trans and more.   Going to schedule a time and get AA to get it there.  That's free.  LOL  I think I could get it done with time but just fed up. 

• Like 2
On 4/17/2017 at 11:10 PM, homefire said:

Yep, Front Wheel Drive.  Would have to undo everything I just did and drop the Trans and more.   Going to schedule a time and get AA to get it there.  That's free.  LOL  I think I could get it done with time but just fed up. 

Ya might have a better experience with the add'l A towing service
than ya will by using the white knucklers.. 

Merely a thought is all..

Swamp

• 3 weeks later...

Welp...been busy on other projects lately, so work on the plane is going slowly. I did manage to get my landing legs tacked up. Still working on one of them that pulled a bit when welded. Ahhh...the joy:200:

Here is a sneak peak...better pics in a few days when I get them all welded up and installed. 

IMAG0309.jpg

Well, it isn't like we can go watch Freddy building his aeroplane instead..
Besides which, he isn't posting any pictures anyhow.. :putertired:

Swamp

• Like 1

Thanks guys :)

When I get the power steering conversion done on the old Ford pickup taking up space in my dooryard...I'll be able to devote some more time to it. Gotta pay the bills first!:tisk-tisk:

• Like 1

I have some bills lying around here some place . You can have em if your short. How much spring action you going to get out of those struts ? Hinging them and use a garage door spring would be easy enough and not hardly any more weight.

I got enough bills of my own thanks...:arrowheadsmiley:

I dont think anybody has done gear like that on one of these little birds. I can see  how it might work with a little engineering though! At least one fellow made fiberglass legs that worked fairly well. I've got most of the landing gear made now with bungee struts like a Cub. I still have to make the bungee struts themselves and finish welding it all out. It should have plenty of travel I think:00000067:

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

Parachutes are for quitters...

YUP! ... And I never get cut out in the gold field but I carry a First Aid Kit in my RZR just in case! :old:

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind having a parachute, but I would have a big one attached to the entire air frame, that way not only am I saved but also the plane, don't won't to have all that hard work and money crashing and burning!!:tisk-tisk:

• Like 1

LOL Parachutes are like Guns.  If you ever need one and don't have one you most likely will never need one again. 

I never had one.  Things cost more then my plan did.  LOL

Save yur pennies.    https://www.air-techinc.com/product_detail.php?pid=584

Edited by homefire
  • Like 2

If you're going to have a chute, the ballistic chutes are the safest way to go. Too expensive for me. Honestly, I doubt I'll have the cost of that chute in the entire aircraft. :arrowheadsmiley:

The only time a chute would be handy is in case of massive structural failure(ie...wing falls off:yikes:) otherwise just fly the thing to the ground. With the glide ratio of this little bird, you can make it another mile for every 1000' of altitude. If you're 2000' AGL that gives you almost 2 miles to find a spot to put it down. Thats a safe enough margin for me. There are numerous Eagles built and flown regularly, with no structural failures. People fly in airplanes every day w/o a parachute.

I guess each to his own, but I figure it kinda like a 90 year old gentleman that still carries a condom....chances are slim it'll ever come out of the package. :fl:

That's the way I looked at it.  Mine had a Glide Ratio of 13:1  ..  If the engine took a dive you had time to find a spot.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, homefire said:

That's the way I looked at it.  Mine had a Glide Ratio of 13:1  ..  If the engine took a dive you had time to find a spot.

13:1 is pretty good! I think the Eagles are only 4:1.

This is how you handle engine failure. 

Yes, Need to keep the air speed up or Bad Bad can happen.  Bet yours is better the 4:1  .  That sounds way low. 

Edited by homefire