Nugget Shooter Forums

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

Sonoran Dave

2 hours ago, homefire said:

Told the wife she got the wrong one.  It was a Left hand C Clamp and I needed the Right hand.  She gave me a dirty look and turned it the other way.  Then went for her nap.

Lol...surpised she didn't slap you before her nap! :25r30wi:

Thats cool you got that press. You're in business now. Makes the job doable in a reasonable amount of time :yesss:

• Like 2

Dang, Your getting things going there most well.  Keeping a Build Log so you remember sources for all your bits and bobs ? 

Q:  How did you make that bend so clean?  Fill pipe with Sand ?

Edited by homefire

8 hours ago, homefire said:

Dang, Your getting things going there most well.  Keeping a Build Log so you remember sources for all your bits and bobs ? 

Q:  How did you make that bend so clean?  Fill pipe with Sand ?

No log. Just using bits and parts found in the old barn here. Got a entire can of valve springs of various sizes :inocent:

I bent it filled with dirt from the yard. I had a buddy hold the rosebud and get it hot while I wrapped it around the horn of my anvil. I'm going to do it again though. The tubing on that one was too thin and its starting to deform under load boorb

Not trying to JACK your thread here Dave just want to share my frustration.  Well I'm starting to Appreciate why Mechanics can charge $90.00 a hour. CV Joint was most a BeeeeeOcchh to get off. Every thing I read, Youtube I watch said the Shaft was held in with a spring clip you just stick a crow bar in between the Tran case and CV ( Careful not to damage Seal) and should pop off with a good firm Yank. HA, I spent a hour Pulling, Yanking, Put enough force on the crow bar to move the engine in the mount. NOTHING. Had the Kid do it. He spent a half hour. Nothing. Wasn't enough room between the Case and Joint to get firm position with the bar. I figured I needed to get the crow bar in a little deeper so it wouldn't slip when I yanked a bit harder. Put a screw driver in between the CV and Tran Case. No Room be tween the two so I went to tap the screw driver in with a hammer. Tap Tap POP!!!! The CV joint just slid right out and off. darn ! Doing the other side is going to be Tap Tap POP Job.

NewCVtieRod.jpg

NewCVandBallJoint.jpg

• Like 2

I spy some new parts on there :D

I usually remove the knuckle and grab the half shaft with both hands and give it a HARD jerk...most of them pop out. Had one stuck so bad once, I tied the shaft to hitch of a golf cart and got a good run at it. Sometimes those retaining rings can have a good grip:tisk-tisk:

5 hours ago, homefire said:

Not trying to JACK your thread here Dave just want to share my frustration.  Well I'm starting to Appreciate why Mechanics can charge $90.00 a hour. CV Joint was most a BeeeeeOcchh to get off. Every thing I read, Youtube I watch said the Shaft was held in with a spring clip you just stick a crow bar in between the Tran case and CV ( Careful not to damage Seal) and should pop off with a good firm Yank. HA, I spent a hour Pulling, Yanking, Put enough force on the crow bar to move the engine in the mount. NOTHING. Had the Kid do it. He spent a half hour. Nothing. Wasn't enough room between the Case and Joint to get firm position with the bar. I figured I needed to get the crow bar in a little deeper so it wouldn't slip when I yanked a bit harder. Put a screw driver in between the CV and Tran Case. No Room be tween the two so I went to tap the screw driver in with a hammer. Tap Tap POP!!!! The CV joint just slid right out and off. darn ! Doing the other side is going to be Tap Tap POP Job.

NewCVtieRod.jpg

NewCVandBallJoint.jpg

.  Sounds about like the fun that I just finished yesterday. Both cv drive axles and upper and lower ball joints on my 4runnner. With the lower ball joint disconnected it gave me the room I needed to removed the cv axle. I'm just getting to old for this much fun anymore.  :4chsmu1:

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, homefire said:

I had nothing to hang on to.  The CV failed most well.  Only had the Cup that goes on the Trans side to hang onto.  Nothing to Grip. 

Dang...that blows. I had that happen only once. I  torched  holes through that cup end. ran a bolt through it and a chain and gave it yank. Popped right out. 

I glad you found a spot to separate it without all the trouble I went through. I had nothing to pry against. 

25 minutes ago, homefire said:

Yep, that was my plan too but couldn't get a drill bit to bite in.  Hard azz stuff I guess. 

It is hardened. I couldn't drill through it either. 

I started welding the landing gear/wing strut fittings today after finishing my new and improved tailwheel. 

IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

• Like 1