Nugget Shooter Forums

Back from a long hot summer....

Well I am back on more now with the summer blues subsiding.... Got out a couple times this month and scored gold both times and sure glad the temps have gone down a bit. So guess you are gonna have to put up with me again until next summers hibernation period.

I was pretty busy this summer with my new undertaking beekeeping and have 4 active hives now with plans for more. What a cool thing this is and has really proved enjoyable for me.

Looking forward to the fall outing as it always seems to be the unofficial start of the prospecting season for this old feller as temps are below 90 and the toy hauler is all ready for the season as well. I have much more time now only working 4 days a week so lots of time in the field.

Will also be doing my gigs with the GPAA and LDMA helping to educate others to find gold and teaching has always been important to me after learning the magic of nugget shooting successfully.

Soooooo like it or not I am going to be around allot more now...... Daddy is home :ROFL:

Saving the world one bee at a time.....

• Like 6

Selling hives, nucs, and honey as we have it Skip. A queen right hive sells for around 350.00 here and nucs for around 175.00. Just getting started and should have 10 or more hives running by next summer depending on how many I sell. Sold one from a cutout already this season to a friend after it got established.... Likely will not get into renting out pollinators just yet though and still in learning mode.... But we do have allot of agriculture her about, citrus, cotton, vegetable crops, etc. Our honey will be mainly AZ wildflower honey as we are not near farm fields...

• Like 1

Awesome Biill!!  Keep it up we need all the Bee's we can get! 

We occasionally buy 10-15 gallons of honey from a lady outside of Wickenburg. Her family has hives on trailers they move around to different locations depending on whats flowering. She usually has two or three types available. I'd take some off your hands at the outing if you have any available then. My wife makes elderberry syrup with it, excellent stuff.

• Like 1

Sweet business, Good for you!...Everytime we pass through Aguila, we stop at the store there( only one surrounded by security fencing on the south side of hwy) to pick up a few quarts of Eagle Eye HOney.  It's very reasonably priced @12$/qt( would cost~$30 in Whale Vagina COunty).

They smell your fear (or lack of if you relax) .  Just relax/ imagine all the goodies you will grow for them or places you'll take them where flowery goodness is.     

Cotton's heavily sprayed w/ pesticides- Neonicitinoids are also used on citrus... Very bad for b's .... B careful where you rent out when you get to that point   mortality .

The  Eagle Eye  "wildflower"  reminds me of medicine( good), sort of a piney/mesquite.

Ever heard of  Manuka honey?  It's medicinal qualities outshine any other honey.

It's priced like gold and sourced from Leptospermum scoparium- Tea tree  YOu can find this plant in most nurseries.

Edited by weaver hillbille

Interesting choice, Bill.. Here's hoping for good fortune with it..!:oregonian_winesmiley: Curiously, of all the honey's on the market North American Wildflower is one I am unable to appreciate.. It has an acquired finish my taste buds seem unable to comprehend.. My loss, I suppose.. Bad taste buds, bad..! Go to your room right now..! :4chsmu1:

Swamp

• Like 1

I eat wildflower honey every day in my coffee and cereal. Good for allergies and guts when your a old fart like me. Cuts heal faster too. Cool hobby as Shasta County is the Queen Bee capitol of the entire US and great folks to know...sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet stuff-John:old:

• Like 2

I used to get hayfever like the dickens.

WHen  I cut the sugar out of my diet and added  raw wildflower  honey- no more sneezing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

Sweet business, Good for you!...Everytime we pass through Aguila, we stop at the store there( only one surrounded by security fencing on the south side of hwy) to pick up a few quarts of Eagle Eye HOney.  It's very reasonably priced @12$/qt( would cost~$30 in Whale Vagina COunty).

They smell your fear (or lack of if you relax) .  Just relax/ imagine all the goodies you will grow for them or places you'll take them where flowery goodness is.     

Cotton's heavily sprayed w/ pesticides- Neonicitinoids are also used on citrus... Very bad for b's .... B careful where you rent out when you get to that point   mortality .

The  Eagle Eye  "wildflower"  reminds me of medicine( good), sort of a piney/mesquite.

Ever heard of  Manuka honey?  It's medicinal qualities outshine any other honey.

It's priced like gold and sourced from Leptospermum scoparium- Tea tree  YOu can find this plant in most nurseries.

Eagle Eye is the same family we get our buckets of honey from. Nice!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LipCa said:

They say to use the honey from the area where you live......

Yeppers, sometimes we "live" 12 mi NNW of Rich Hill.

Hey Bill!  I've been preoccupied with other things in life for a while but I hope to get back out in the goldfields again this winter.  I really miss it.  Glad you are out of hibernation.  Thanks for all the good things you do for the hobby and nugget hunters. Now you are making liquid gold too!

• Like 4

On 10/4/2016 at 6:29 AM, Hoser John said:

I eat wildflower honey every day in my  cereal. John:old:

THat stuff will kill you- unless it's organic steel cut oatmeal:brows: - that'll stick to your ribs..   

Roundup is in  most all non-organic grain and legumes.

• Like 1

Bill Southern :  "This was today's project, into their new home in our bee yard now....."

...................................................................................................................................................

Bill, when you rescue a wild hive, I assume that( sometimes) they're africanized hybrids, and you substitute the "mean" queen with a domesticated european?  Which pops out tamer bees,  that overtime, supplant the more aggressive original bees...

2 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

Bill Southern :  "This was today's project, into their new home in our bee yard now....."

...................................................................................................................................................

Bill, when you rescue a wild hive, I assume that( sometimes) they're africanized hybrids, and you substitute the "mean" queen with a domesticated european?  Which pops out tamer bees,  that overtime, supplant the more aggressive original bees...

I'm just guessing that's a "swarm" from one of Bill's hives and not wild bees.:idunno:

That is usually how bee keepers grow their operation, if I'm not mistaken.

This was a wild swarm from a call I got yesterday so drove the 20 miles to get them.... So far we have not run into ant aggressive bees and currently have 3 hives grown from feral rescues in the area. But if we do run into the issue yes we would re-queen the hive since these days queens are easy to get at a reasonable price.

That said, the Africanized Bee issue is not near as bad as the media would have you believe and any honeybee colony will go on full attack when you destroy or seriously disturb the hive, just that the African variety get more aggressive and are much less forgiving. This swarm was collected with no gloves or protection other than a veil and I took no stings during the process.

Skip is correct that domestic hives will swarm, but as beekeepers we have ways to prevent it from happening as often ie: splits, checker boarding frames, adding supers, etc. But it still happens sometimes....

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

That said, the Africanized Bee issue is not near as bad as the media would have you believe

I heard that  from another keeper , several years back, as well... Media/gov't will always want to err on the side of caution and make mountains out of molehills. THe keeper I talked to said that," they probably calmed down"( as they bred/crossed with more sedate bee colonies  in their travels northward over the years).

He also stated that swarms will be much more sedate than a dedicated hive- which would have more of a territorial/agressive bent.   A "swarm''  is  just travelling through and resting prior to moving on.

He warned that if any   wax or  comb  is present, it  will attract new bee colonies.

What are your thoughts on "top bar" hives, Bill?

http://www.bestbeekeeping.com/top_bar_hives.html

https://youtu.be/aYPJuzEn9P4

20 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

Cool, but one has to destroy the comb to harvest honey and that is one of the main reasons I went with Langstroth Hives.

I'm guessing that since the latter supports the comb on all four sides, it's just a matter of slicing off the comb caps( are they capped?) then turning over to drain?  To later, then, be reused by  the bees?  

Whereas , the topbar type is harder to salvage the comb for reuse, since it's just attached to  a   "top" bar?

• Like 1