Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Silver nuggets


TomH

Recommended Posts

Crushed up a rock today that I found when I was out with Dave. 

It has silver in it! :) Rock was 1/2x1/2/1.5 inches.

Playing with the macro lens for close ups.  They are just a little bigger than a pinhead.

Amazing the shape you cant see with the naked eye.

Put some nitric in the pan and they cleaned up...then tarnished again...

Tom H.

 

silver.jpg

silver3.jpg

Edited by TomH
added
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's awesome Tom !!

Hope you remember what that rock looked like.....   :4chsmu1:

Nice finds...   :thumbsupanim

Luke

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

Tom, with the free milling gold in my sample and the silver in yours, those veins warrant further inspection. 

There's veins too..? Not just loose rock..?
I totally agree.. Ergo the new avenue statement..
Any historical assay reports of decent silver values in the area..?
It may not be electrum, as I believe one of you mentioned as a possibility in another post -- but I have no problem crushing rock for silver content with gold as a by-product.. Here's hoping for the best when y'all check it out further..!

Swamp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Swamp...several of the mines in this area are polymetallic. Cu ag and au predominately. The ratios of metal composition vary from mine to mine and even in the same vein system. Several mines produced some very high grade ore. A lot of the high grade stuff was and is still, right under the gossans. I don't think the oxidized zone is very deep on any of the veins in this area. The free milling character of the ores here decline at depth.

As far as silver goes, I've read several reports of several ounces/ton AG, but no mention of any of it being found in its native form. So this spot may be unique. 

Might be a good spot to beat the crap out of some rocks now and then for beer money :2drink:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2016 at 2:22 PM, ArcticDave said:

Swamp...several of the mines in this area are polymetallic. Cu ag and au predominately. The ratios of metal composition vary from mine to mine and even in the same vein system. Several mines produced some very high grade ore. A lot of the high grade stuff was and is still, right under the gossans. I don't think the oxidized zone is very deep on any of the veins in this area. The free milling character of the ores here decline at depth.

As far as silver goes, I've read several reports of several ounces/ton AG, but no mention of any of it being found in its native form. So this spot may be unique. 

Might be a good spot to beat the crap out of some rocks now and then for beer money :2drink:

 

I believe you are correct, at least as far as the silver mines in the SE of AZ go / went..

However, it seems to me if I recall correctly, which is questionable at this point in time since we're talking five years ago, that there is a native silver mine NNE of W'burg near Constellation -- Mont Carlo or something like that..? Should look it up I suppose..

Anyhow, I remember reading something about it before our last trip out, then never got there cos we burned all our time out Rich Hill way & up at the Lynx..

Dunno where you two guys found those rocks, but that area may be worth checking..? FWIW..

Swamp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's Monte Cristo mine.. 

PRIMARY NATIVE-SILVER ORES NEAR WICKENBURG, ARIZONA, AND THEIR BEARING ON THE GENESIS OF THE SILVER ORES OF COBALT, ONTARIO.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/0735e/report.pdf 

Swamp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  This one  minedat link

 not this one which also goes by the name of the Dixie Queen but on  USGS TOPO is named MOnte Cristo

Edited by weaver hillbille
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool info guys! 

Weav...the dixie queen. Is that the one close to you that we looked at a couple years ago?

Swamp...I downloaded that report and only the top half of every page shows up. The bottom half is blacked out. Anyone else half that issue, or is it on my end?

Edited by ArcticDave
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

Interesting.. That Monte Cristo isn't the same one as in the 1913 pub..
Speaking of the Dixie Queen, I think the Dixie King was a native silver mine too..
Early daze; no wonder my head hurts..

Swamp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Speaking of the Dixie Queen, I think the Dixie King was a native silver mine too..
Early daze; no wonder my head hurts..

Swamp

  Since many mines are named the same yo umay be confusing it with another..

      The Dixie I'm thinking of/linked,  was only good for ALbite( mass quantities of milky quartz litter the area below the mine)/feldspar/mica  and traces of beryllium ore.  Since access was difficult, the mill far away(Kingman,AZ), and handpicking essential for the trace amounts of ( hoped for) beryl ore , it was never really funded/developed, and went through a succession of claim owners/investors/lessees over the decades.

       HAd it been ,it would have only been good for ceramic ore. :brows: Want to make a  dinner plate?  I got a line on a hot dinner plate mine...  I can get ya in to scavenge some samples on the down low, for the right price.  Shhhhhh! Please keep your mouth shut ,Artic DAve, or there'll be plate miners left and right up there:th:

no silver here" PRIMARY NAME: DIXIE QUEEN ALTERNATE NAMES: MONTE CRISTO PEGMATITE YAVAPAI COUNTY MILS NUMBER: 339 LOCATION: TOWNSHIP 12 N RANGE 5 W SECTION 34 QUARTER SW LATITUDE: N 34DEG 20MIN 06SEC LONGITUDE: W 112DEG 46MIN OOSEC TOPO MAP NAME: WEAVER PEAK - 7.5 MIN CURRENT STATUS: PAST PRODUCER COMMODITY: FELDSPAR SILICON MICA BERYLLIUM

Edited by weaver hillbille
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ArcticDave said:

Cool info guys! 

Weav...the dixie queen. Is that the one close to you that we looked at a couple years ago?

Swamp...I downloaded that report and only the top half of every page shows up. The bottom half is blacked out. Anyone else half that issue, or is it on my end?

Dave -- I didn't d/l, but it opened just fine in pdf format..

7 minutes ago, weaver hillbille said:

  Since many mines are named the same yo umay be confusing it with another..

      The Dixie I'm thinking of/linked,  was only good for ALbite( mass quantities of milky quartz litter the area below the mine)/feldspar/mica  and traces of beryllium ore.  Since access was difficult, the mill far away(Kingman,AZ), and handpicking essential for the trace amounts of ( hoped for) beryl ore , it was never really funded/developed, and went through a sucession of claim owners/investors/lessees over the decades.

       HAd it been ,it would have only been good for ceramic ore. :brows: Want to make a  dinner plate?  I got a line on a hot dinner plate mine...  I can get ya in to scavenge some samples on the down low.  Shhhhhh! Please keep your mouth shut ,Artic DAve, or their be plate miners left and right up there:th:

no silver here" PRIMARY NAME: DIXIE QUEEN ALTERNATE NAMES: MONTE CRISTO PEGMATITE YAVAPAI COUNTY MILS NUMBER: 339 LOCATION: TOWNSHIP 12 N RANGE 5 W SECTION 34 QUARTER SW LATITUDE: N 34DEG 20MIN 06SEC LONGITUDE: W 112DEG 46MIN OOSEC TOPO MAP NAME: WEAVER PEAK - 7.5 MIN CURRENT STATUS: PAST PRODUCER COMMODITY: FELDSPAR SILICON MICA BERYLLIUM

Funny stuff, WH..:D

Yep, The Dixie Queen & King I'm referencing are early days mines.. So I'm thinking they are down in the SE, Tombstone or one of those locales..

Swamp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found it (Dixie King, which is really Silver King -- my bad on the name check..)

It's a Wikipedia write-up, so there's holes a-plenty in the info, but it appears to be in the Globe region -- Superior, AZ.. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_mining_in_Arizona 

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Dave the PDF opened fine on my end no issues.

I'm using a Windows 7 computer, Google Chrome browser, I didn't try using my phone.

Same setup I'm running, Skip
Came loaded with Pro ver too, so M'soft has to support it until 2021..

Swamp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...