Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

New Boots


Mike Furness

Recommended Posts

OK ... 3 years of traveling around on my boots have about worn them out ... you can only GOOP them just so many times before the GOOP doesn't hold up anymore. 

QUESTION: what are you guys who have bought recently found for metal free boots. The ones I have are no longer in production or so I have been told! And wear did you buy them?

 

I use a 5000 and 7000 99% of the time so I need metal free especially when I use medium to large coils.

 

Thanks,

Mike F

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ive found flip flops work good for me :ROFL:

OK...Like you mine are no longer in production. 

Last two good pairs ive had were

New Balance 932 MTN  no metal, light weight.

Tom

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2016 at 8:50 AM, Uncle Ron said:

Converse has worked for me very well for past 6 or so years....Cheers, Unc

 

Hi Ron ... Converse doesn't make the boots I usually wear anymore ... stock/model number C8896 ... I found Reebox model RB8895 which seem to be the identical boot but they have a side zipper. I would rather lace them up each time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought the Avenger 7416 from workboots USA.  Reason I bought these over the Reebok is that they are completely leather.  I thought the Reebok were too susceptible to snake bites.  I prefer full leather ... well as close as I can.  But that's just me.  They are comfortable and so far appear to take a good beating, as I do a lot of boot scratching.  Only warning is that if you do order them, order one size larger.  

Andy

http://www.workbootsusa.com/avenger-7416.html#__utma=217280276.323479326.1475029788.1475029788.1475029788.1&__utmb=217280276.2.10.1475029788&__utmc=217280276&__utmx=-&__utmz=217280276.1475029788.1.1.utmcsr=outlook.live.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/owa/&__utmv=-&__utmk=255261387

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Andyy said:

I bought the Avenger 7416 from workboots USA.  Reason I bought these over the Reebok is that they are completely leather.  I thought the Reebok were too susceptible to snake bites.  I prefer full leather ... well as close as I can.  But that's just me.  They are comfortable and so far appear to take a good beating, as I do a lot of boot scratching.  Only warning is that if you do order them, order one size larger.  

Andy

http://www.workbootsusa.com/avenger-7416.html#__utma=217280276.323479326.1475029788.1475029788.1475029788.1&__utmb=217280276.2.10.1475029788&__utmc=217280276&__utmx=-&__utmz=217280276.1475029788.1.1.utmcsr=outlook.live.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/owa/&__utmv=-&__utmk=255261387

I LIKE THOSE ! ..And I'm with you on the extra snake protection factor ; reading this thread, I was thinking the same thing.

A few years back, I stepped right in front of this critters' face; less than a foot away! Never rattled, twitched,...or struck! 

Holbrook hunt 7-16-11 & 7-17-11 078.JPG

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had three snake strikes. First one hit my all leather boots at least 6 times before I could move away from him. 

Other two times the hits were on my leg guards! Two things I always do when prospecting, put on the legs guards

and a GPS fix on the truck before I leave that spot. BOTH HAVE PAID OFF!

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 It must be dumb luck, but I've seen more rattlers in the "burbs" of  Sandy  Aygo County, than 12 mi NNW of Rich Hill( none seen in the latter location). 

 However, the following critter, there's no much of a defense for, unless you're quick with a knife( even then,  it  still might kill you before it dies) or are intently aware of your surroundings- which I think is thebest defense so as toavoid confrontation entirely.

 Watch your 6!

Enjoy just an anaconda

Edited by weaver hillbille
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The gully I'm trying to work now is at the edge of my patch. When I first found gold there the water was still where I was standing on the pics in sharing finds. About the second day I saw the last four feet of one of these snakes slide into the water.

That's the big worry about working where the water has gone down. A snake this size could come charging out of the water faster than you can run even if you were looking at it.

I carry a flip out knife in my right shirt pocket in case I ever need it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

HJ I first tried a 9mm with rat shot and it worked good but a lot of noise, so I switched to a over/under 22. mag derringer, with rat shot, worked great. I only shot the Mojave's, mean little dudes since their poison gets both your nervous system and respiratory system.

Probably would just tiss off a two legged snake!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

:old: that's what them last 2 spaces are for in my Blackhawk....biforcated Teflon impregnated shredders guaranteed to bring down a bear or even a high crankster gangster with a single shot-tried and true :4chsmu1: John

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2016 at 11:14 PM, Shokmelt said:

I LIKE THOSE ! ..And I'm with you on the extra snake protection factor ; reading this thread, I was thinking the same thing.

A few years back, I stepped right in front of this critters' face; less than a foot away! Never rattled, twitched,...or struck! 

Holbrook hunt 7-16-11 & 7-17-11 078.JPG

I'm still in awe you were able to hold it together to take this pix after finding yourself there..!

If this had happened to me I'd be 17 feet straight up trying to swim away in all directions at the same time..!

Swamp

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ya Swamp, it gave me quite a start !! But not nearly as frightening as an encounter that I had many years

ago with a 5 foot long black Western Rattler, up on Kaiser Pass in CA... I didn't make it to 17 feet, but I'm

pretty sure it was the highest and farthest that I ever jumped in a single leap in my life. I was running...,

well, puddle-hopping at a fast pace,  through a high mountain meadow (9000 ft. elev.) filled with shin-to-

-knee-high-grass, (bad idea) when suddenly as my foot landed, he rattled and struck simultaneously ;

grazing my Levi's with the side of his head. Close Call -- YIKES!!! 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shokmelt said:

Ya Swamp, it gave me quite a start !! But not nearly as frightening as an encounter that I had many years

ago with a 5 foot long black Western Rattler, up on Kaiser Pass in CA... I didn't make it to 17 feet, but I'm

pretty sure it was the highest and farthest that I ever jumped in a single leap in my life. I was running...,

well, puddle-hopping at a fast pace,  through a high mountain meadow (9000 ft. elev.) filled with shin-to-

-knee-high-grass, (bad idea) when suddenly as my foot landed, he rattled and struck simultaneously ;

grazing my Levi's with the side of his head. Close Call -- YIKES!!! 

 

 

Yikes!!! for sure...I would have probably taken my whole bottle of Nitro tabs that I keep in my pocket.  :th:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

Have had my Bate's boots for a couple weeks now. Size holds true to shoe size with exception of width. Shoe is 11C ... bates boots perfect fit at 11 EEE. Break-in for both pairs was a snap. First day in each pair was able to wear all day without blisters or hot spots. That was a bit of a surprise. Have never been able to keep past detecting boots on more than a 3 hour period of constant walking/prospecting. I think these boots will wear well based on about 6 trips out using them now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2016 at 10:14 PM, Shokmelt said:

I LIKE THOSE ! ..And I'm with you on the extra snake protection factor ; reading this thread, I was thinking the same thing.

A few years back, I stepped right in front of this critters' face; less than a foot away! Never rattled, twitched,...or struck! 

Holbrook hunt 7-16-11 & 7-17-11 078.JPG

I shudder thinking about all the close calls I've had which I know have been many...too many. Have never been bitten but have spent plenty of time in rattlesnake infested areas so I know there's been close calls without knowing it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2016 at 8:14 PM, Shokmelt said:

I LIKE THOSE ! ..And I'm with you on the extra snake protection factor ; reading this thread, I was thinking the same thing.

A few years back, I stepped right in front of this critters' face; less than a foot away! Never rattled, twitched,...or struck! 

Holbrook hunt 7-16-11 & 7-17-11 078.JPG

He's guarding the blue rock right behind him. AzNuggetBob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...